Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warmup Issue

SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
in General 10789 karma
- I have noticed, at least on my last two test, that I just have difficulty doing the first couple of questions on my first LR section, between the question # 2-9. This is especially true if that happens to be the first section on the test! I'll end up skipping like 3-4 questions within the first set of questions. And I am too nervous at the end anyways when I have less than 5 minutes to complete those question to do them calmly.

But on my second LR section I usually fly. Finish on time, my skipped questions are not mostly congregated in the first couple of questions, and even though I am still nervous at the end when little time is left, I am a bit more relaxed because I know they are harder and I have got all the easy ones right (at least hopefully). Whereas on the other one, I know those are easy and I just have a block against them. Which probably makes me more nervous!

Or at least I think that is the issue that's going on.
1) What can I do to not have this block?
2) I have noticed this pattern before on the last two test and have thought about a warmup. What length of warmup is appropriate before a test? And how long before a test should I do that warmup?
3) Also, I have only recently started using the skipping strategy. So could it just be nervousness?

What do you guys think? And what do you all do to before a test to help get your brain going :D

Comments

• leejayleeleejaylee Alum Member
    edited July 2016 218 karma
    I do that too, it sometimes can get me really into a LR section or zone me out of it.

I usually try to do 10 LR questions, 1 LG, 1 RC, then go into a PT. Doing too much gets me tired for the actual PT. Just getting into the zone is what you should feel like after a warm-up. Even then, you may end up skipping the first question due to anxiety/nervousness. But that is COMPLETELY NORMAL! As humans, we all get nervous even if it's something we've done a thousand times =). Just be confident and don't lose focus!

Play around with your warmup and see what works for you. It completely differs for each person. Some people don't even need warmups.

There is nothing wrong with skipping. Usually for LR questions, if I read a stimulus and grasped almost nothing from it, I skip it and move on to the next question.
    If I understand the stimulus but don't see an answer choice I like after 2 minutes, I just circle it and move on to the next question. Rarely, will there be cases that a person would be able to just breeze through each and every question without skipping. Remember the section where J.Y. says there are questions where you basically have to skip or at least are recommended to (till later on).
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10789 karma
    thank you sooo much <3 I am definitely going to try doing a mix of questions from now on from warm up. :)
  • theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma
    I actually have the same issue, takes me few questions to really get my groove. I ussualy do one game and 3-5 questions before I even start my PT, specially because we usually practice with 4 sections and the actual test is 5 so I figure this way I'm getting more in the rhythm of things.
  • partyondudespartyondudes Alum Member
    424 karma

Hey @Sami it's been a while since you posted this and I wonder how you'd answer your above questions now as I'm having a similar experience. For me, I get to question 1 and freeze a little bit. It's to the point that I'm thinking of just skipping question 1 automatically, maybe doing it right after question 2 or something like that.

10789 karma

@partyondudes said:
    Hey @Sami it's been a while since you posted this and I wonder how you'd answer your above questions now as I'm having a similar experience. For me, I get to question 1 and freeze a little bit. It's to the point that I'm thinking of just skipping question 1 automatically, maybe doing it right after question 2 or something like that.

Hey!

It's definitely been a long time since I posted this.. almost a year and thankfully I no longer worry about this.

A couple of things that helped:

1. I warmup: at least half a logical reasoning section, 2 reading comprehension passages, and 2 games. I use an older test for this.

2. Confidence: I do have more confidence now in my abilities. This translates to me not worrying if I skip question 1 or 5 or 22. A skip to me is normal and part of the process so is a freeze. I know I know how to do it. All I have to do is to stick to my process of skipping when I am stuck mentally.

Having confidence also means I don't stress which had the effect of not making me freeze.

I hope this helps:) let me know.

• smseraj3smseraj3 Alum Member
    162 karma

I have the same problem? Would you guys recommend 10 LR questions and easy sequencing game and a short RC passage as a good warmup?

Im taking the June test soon and I want to make sure im in the zone. I don't want to do too much though.

@Sami @"theLSATdreamer " @leejaylee

10789 karma

@smseraj3 said:
    I have the same problem? Would you guys recommend 10 LR questions and easy sequencing game and a short RC passage as a good warmup?

That sounds really good. I do about 18 LR but 10 is pretty good too. I also agree with doing easy games and short RC passage. You just want your brain juices flowing, nothing extensive : )

• partyondudespartyondudes Alum Member
    424 karma

thanks @Sami!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma

Lol, I saw this and was confused until I saw the date. @Sami you are usually the one answering these questions, haha. You only just recently started using a skipping strategy and it makes you nervous!? What!?

Interesting to see some of these older threads resurface though. You've come a long way!

edited June 2017 10789 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    Lol, I saw this and was confused until I saw the date. @Sami you are usually the one answering these questions, haha. You only just recently started using a skipping strategy and it makes you nervous!? What!?

Interesting to see some of these older threads resurface though. You've come a long way!

<3 Thanks!!! Seeing this thread definitely made me realize how at one point I struggled with so many little things. What a difference 11 months, good advice, and hard work have made! Thank you for all your help @"Cant Get Right" :smiley:

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@Sami said:

@"Cant Get Right" said:

<3 Thanks!!! Seeing this thread definitely made me realize how at one point I struggled with so many little things. What a difference 11 months, good advice, and hard work have made! Thank you for all your help @"Cant Get Right" :smiley:

Sami,

I was wondering when you PT do you use 4 or 5 sections?

10789 karma

@sillllyxo said:

@Sami said:

@"Cant Get Right" said:

Sami,

I was wondering when you PT do you use 4 or 5 sections?

Mostly 5 sections. But sometimes I have gone with 4. :)

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I've used a dozen LR questions, 2 games and an RC passage to warmup before the june and september tests, and i found it extremely beneficial. It not only gets your brain working, but for me it settles my nerves. Especially an easy logic game reminds me that I've got this stuff, it's just another PT!