Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blind Reviewing RC

ppcoelho1ppcoelho1 Alum Member

I'm finally breaking into the score range I want and I know that RC is my biggest challenge and the one sections I'm still a bit inconsistent in. When I'm blind reviewing I've been able to get the right answers (mostly), but I'm not at all able to feel confident in my answer choices. I think it's because I can usually eliminate the wrong answers and not find support for the right answers.
does anyone have any tips or advice?? In specific for finding support for inference question, but just for BRing RC in general!!

best of luck everyone, and any help will be appreciated

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited June 2017 23929 karma

This may seem really obvious, and it is. So I apologize if it sounds completely stupid.

But one of my biggest issues with RC BR was not just accepting that 1 answer is 100% right and others may all be 99.9% right, but effectively they are 100% wrong. Always try to disprove answers instead of trying to look and compare for right answers on inferences questions.

Go back during BR and write out detailed explanations of why the wrong answers are wrong. Then if you can, practice searching the passage for the actual line(s) that prove the right answer correct. Line cite them and write them down next to the part of the passage where you found the correct answer.

Again, this advice is for BR. Not for when taking timed tests. Then if you want to hunt for correct answers, that is obviously different, lol.

• Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma

I've been drilling RC for a while now and it's now my favorite section. I usually spend about an hour blind reviewing each passage.

For my BR I do the following:

1) I reread the passage (untimed) and with a blue pen mark any notations I missed. For example, maybe a recent study is introduced but I didn't make any notations. I'll make a notation based on my notation system (circles for time indicators, parenthesis for locations, etc.) I use a mix of Nicole Hopkins notation system with my own.

a) While I reread I also try to really hone in on the author's tone/attitude. For example, if in the opening paragraph an issue is discussed and the author states that people generally believe x about this issue I can suspect that the author might have a differing opinion. Once I identify a word cluing me in on tone I place a star (in red) and with my prediction then look ahead at the next paragraph to reinforce the habit of identifying the author's tone, coming up with an anticipation of what's next, and then looking ahead to confirm my anticipation.

2) Once I'm done reading through the passage I write down the following:

a) For passage structure: a description of each paragraph and a passage outline in the most simplest terms (for example: author introduces an issue, other people use methods to address issue and author describes critics reasoning against these methods, concludes with author arguing for a redefinition of the issue.
    b) Main Point:
    c) Purpose:
    d) Author's Stance:

3) I then go through each question first identifying the question type with a description of how to approach it. If the question type calls for a pre-phrase I type out the pre-phrase. I then go into the answer choices and state why each incorrect answer choice is wrong (for example, the answer choice contradicts the passage or introduces information not in the passage) as well as why each answer choice is correct with a line reference where I can find support for the answer choice in the passage.

I'm currently trying to get in the habit of typing this all up in my notes section in 7sage.

4) I then review what worked and didn't work. This is the key part. For a long time I was reviewing passages but wasn't digging deeper and analyzing what I could improve on, how to test it out, see if it works and if so try to practice into making in into a habit. Timing has consistently been an issue for me on RC and I recently realized that I'm under confident when selecting my answer choices (aka spending way too much time on eliminating answer choices when I've already selected the right answer). So right now I'm working on my timing for questions, my strategy for deciding when I need to return to the passage to confirm the answer choice as well as my skipping strategy.

Also, I watched a webinar where ( think) Josh shared an image of a spreadsheet he uses to track his RC analysis. It's been super helpful and is also really motivating when I look through and see my progress.

1332 karma

Meant to include: If anyone has suggestions on my RC BR please feel free to share.

• AlexAlex Alum Member

@Gladiator_2017 said:
    Meant to include: If anyone has suggestions on my RC BR please feel free to share.

Looks pretty damn thorough man. Thing I've always found with RC is that it's so personal in what approaches do and dont work for people. I've literally seen people go consistently -0 without making a mark on the page. Then I've seen people mark the shit out of the page to the point it looks like a painting and also do just as well.

As far as BR, I think yours looks pretty good. Is it working for you and are you seeing improvement? If so, keep going! RC has always been my best section and although I'm not as thorough, I think I tend to look for the same things.

1332 karma

Thanks @"Alex Divine" . I implemented such a thorough BR to really focus on reinforcing these habits. I took the LSAT in December and with all the anxiety my less structured RC approach went through the window. I'm hoping months of repeating this process will come through on game day.

• AlexAlex Alum Member

@Gladiator_2017 said:
    Thanks @"Alex Divine" . I implemented such a thorough BR to really focus on reinforcing these habits. I took the LSAT in December and with all the anxiety my less structured RC approach went through the window. I'm hoping months of repeating this process will come through on game day.

I definitely think there is a good chance it will. The biggest thing for me is memory on RC. I just practiced the hell out of JY's memory method and it has really worked for me. I find one of the secrets with RC is to have it as automatic in your mind as LG. Such that topics don't matter... You just approach the passage almost mathematical.

ETA: Also, equally important, and something that will come with practice is building trust in that memory. I'm still not great at the LSAT, I just frequent the forums because I have no other friends at work and have far less work to do then I used to. However, RC was always the section that just clicked for me. And when I first began I would try to go back and prove as many answers as I could and that obviously becomes a timing issue. So as you get better, learn to trust those memories and intuition on those questions you have a shadow memory of. For the rest, hopefully you'll have some way or remembering where the answer an be found, and quickly! :)

• ppcoelho1ppcoelho1 Alum Member
    156 karma

@Gladiator_2017 thank you so much for being so detailed! I'm definitely trying this tomorrow!

156 karma

@"Alex Divine" not stupid at all!!! I want all the help i can get haha! thank you

1332 karma

@ppcoelho1 no problem! RC tutoring sessions with @danielznelson really helped me improve. I was getting 9 to 11 wrong each section (and not getting to the last passage) and now I'm ~3/4 and I'm finishing just in time. I'm hoping to get my time down even further.

1332 karma

@ppcoelho1 how's the RC blind reviewing coming along?

• sjiang666sjiang666 Alum Member
    157 karma

@Gladiator_2017 Thanks so much for sharing the BR method! It sounds like a great method that will make the most of RC practices. I start the RC with around -8 to -10, and now I am practicing with JY's memory method phase I. Also, I find myself wondering with the wrong answers and spend ton of time on them. Some of those answers are never mentioned in the passage, but I am rereading and trying to prove they are wrong!
    As to Josh's webinar, is there a link of it? Very interested in it! :smiley:

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

@Gladiator_2017 Thanks for all the great info. Can you share the image of the spreadsheet or just generally describe it?

1332 karma

If someone can share the steps for adding an image I can include a screen shot.

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@Gladiator_2017 said:
    If someone can share the steps for adding an image I can include a screen shot.

Take image
    upload to imgur.com
    link image here

• H.al1997H.al1997 Member
    318 karma

@Gladiator_2017 said:
    I've been drilling RC for a while now and it's now my favorite section. I usually spend about an hour blind reviewing each passage.

For my BR I do the following:

1) I reread the passage (untimed) and with a blue pen mark any notations I missed. For example, maybe a recent study is introduced but I didn't make any notations. I'll make a notation based on my notation system (circles for time indicators, parenthesis for locations, etc.) I use a mix of Nicole Hopkins notation system with my own.

a) While I reread I also try to really hone in on the author's tone/attitude. For example, if in the opening paragraph an issue is discussed and the author states that people generally believe x about this issue I can suspect that the author might have a differing opinion. Once I identify a word cluing me in on tone I place a star (in red) and with my prediction then look ahead at the next paragraph to reinforce the habit of identifying the author's tone, coming up with an anticipation of what's next, and then looking ahead to confirm my anticipation.

2) Once I'm done reading through the passage I write down the following:

a) For passage structure: a description of each paragraph and a passage outline in the most simplest terms (for example: author introduces an issue, other people use methods to address issue and author describes critics reasoning against these methods, concludes with author arguing for a redefinition of the issue.
    b) Main Point:
    c) Purpose:
    d) Author's Stance:

3) I then go through each question first identifying the question type with a description of how to approach it. If the question type calls for a pre-phrase I type out the pre-phrase. I then go into the answer choices and state why each incorrect answer choice is wrong (for example, the answer choice contradicts the passage or introduces information not in the passage) as well as why each answer choice is correct with a line reference where I can find support for the answer choice in the passage.

I'm currently trying to get in the habit of typing this all up in my notes section in 7sage.

4) I then review what worked and didn't work. This is the key part. For a long time I was reviewing passages but wasn't digging deeper and analyzing what I could improve on, how to test it out, see if it works and if so try to practice into making in into a habit. Timing has consistently been an issue for me on RC and I recently realized that I'm under confident when selecting my answer choices (aka spending way too much time on eliminating answer choices when I've already selected the right answer). So right now I'm working on my timing for questions, my strategy for deciding when I need to return to the passage to confirm the answer choice as well as my skipping strategy.

Also, I watched a webinar where ( think) Josh shared an image of a spreadsheet he uses to track his RC analysis. It's been super helpful and is also really motivating when I look through and see my progress.

If there is a love button, I would. Thank you so much for sharing, I will be trying this out.

156 karma

@Gladiator_2017 I'm still struggling with confidence level, but all the steps you mentioned are really helpful! it's good to have a systematic way of breaking down each passage and questions, my reviewing before was kind of inconsistent when i look back!!

edited June 2017 1332 karma

RC Time Analysis
    https://i.imgur.com/UKDVodv.jpg
    Hopefully the link above works.

For confidence/timing I've learned to move on after 30 seconds during my first pass on a question. Recording yourself and tracking your time helps you get a feel for how long you're spending.

1332 karma

I'm glad to see the image is showing! I'd like to give credit to Josh - @"Cant Get Right" . I'm pretty sure I saw his spreadsheet on the "our 89 point increase webinar" https://7sage.com/webinar/our-89-point-increase-story/