Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT the game of exposure.

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
in General 13286 karma

Something I've begun to notice during my studies; is that the LSAT is as much a test of exposure as it is a test of logic and reading capabilities. While learning the core concepts and ideas behind the test are essential to success I am here to argue that exposure is just as important. For a long time my score had been stagnant. I was stuck and not able to move no matter how many times I revisited the CC/Books/Whatever. I thought that my fundamental understanding of the test was flawed and the only way to improve was to redo lessons and try and remember the strategies. This was not working for me.

Recently (The past 3-4 weeks) I changed the way I am studying. I am bombarding myself with timed sections. With this new method I began to gain a new sense of familiarity with the LSAT. Logical Reasoning became a section that I could predict, Logic Games were games I had seen before with slight variations, and Reading Comp...well I haven't put the same effort into. This is what broke the wall for my score. After being stuck for an extremely long time, my score increased. Not only has it increased, but it has increased consistently per section.

This is something I feel gets over looked a lot on the LSAT. People get caught up in the theory, concepts, and core ideas but never expose themselves to the test in any real significant manner. Familiarity, as I have come to learn, is as important for a solid LSAT score as the basics. Feeling comfortable going into a section because you know it will be "just like before" is enough to give you confidence. With this boost your brain is put at ease and you are able to now draw upon your toolbox of methods much more effectively.

So don't be scared to dive into sections of questions and tests. Get use to how Logical Reasoning feels, figure out what questions they ask every logic game (seriously, every damn game.) and get use to looking for what they are expecting you to in Reading Comp. This will make the task of finding the right answer much easier, and wrong answers will begin to look really wrong after a ton of experience.

Just thought I'd share something I have noticed.

Comments

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    edited June 2017 2983 karma

Congrats on all of the success! I'm about to dive into the timed section portion of my study process, and I am a little nervous tbh haha

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@Freddy_D said:
    Congrats on all of the success! I'm about to dive into the timed section portion of my study process, and I am a little nervous tbh haha

Don't be! As you get use to things time will become less and less a concern. As you get more efficient at getting toward the right answer, and killing the wrong ones you will speed up!

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@Freddy_D said:

Don't be! As you get use to things time will become less and less a concern. As you get more efficient at getting toward the right answer, and killing the wrong ones you will speed up!

Thanks! I'm definitely gonna put in the work necessary to the murder this thing

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

Yup, timed sections are the most important part of your study.

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

I can definitely attest to the truth of this! By the time I was taking the actual LSAT, it felt like I had already done it a million times... Because I had... 27 times...

But seriously. It was a major confidence booster and de-stresser on actual test day to know that there was nothing that could be on there that I hadn't already faced in some form or another on a previous test.

• nicole.brooklynnicole.brooklyn Alum Member
    341 karma

Yes, I completely agree with this! Nothing can substitute for simply taking the PTs.

• cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma

This is what I've been wanting to hear more, and less of revisiting this and that.. I'm about to start taking this approach as well, thank you for the motivation!

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    1084 karma

I agree. I'm in a similar point right now. I'll also add that I've found it really useful to do timed sections divided up. That is, right now I'm just tackling LR sections from prep tests one at a time, and not doing whole tests (I do one whole test a week and spend the rest of time on doing single sections and drilling logic games). I find breaking up the test into 35 minutes chunks somehow feels less intimidating. It seems to be boosting my confidence a lot to tackle sections. And I'm not worried about losing full practice tests because I feel this is a good use of the material, and I still have enough to drill a full test all together every week and blind review.

Just my added thoughts