Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

According to this article most frequent LR types? seem accurate?

doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member

Additionally since I am starting out, how would experienced LSATers rank from most difficult to least difficult the top 5 on this list, just to so i can start tackling the more difficult ones first

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- https://magoosh.com/lsat/2016/most-common-logical-reasoning-question-types/
"he table below displays the various types of Logical Reasoning questions, ranked by how frequently they appear on the exam. The number in the “Frequency” column represents how many questions of that type appear in the official LSAT PrepTests. Thus far, the list includes 55 real exams administrated over the past 15 to 20 years.

The numbers show that the vast majority of Logical Reasoning questions on the LSAT are either Assumption, Flaw, or Inference questions. Those three types combined historically represent about 40% of all Logical Reasoning questions. "

Question Type Frequency
Assumption 427
Flaw 410
Inference 402
Weaken 254
Strengthen 196

this was related i found here; in terms of individual LSAT tests

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/465

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

hi @MichaelTheArchAngel. Since you are just starting out, I would not recommend focusing on any particular question type. It will be better if you begin the core curriculum and follow it conscientiously -- spending more time on sections that give you difficulty and writing question analyses for any questions you encounter which you don't 100% (literally 100%...including why each wrong answer is wrong) understand.

The reason for this suggestion is that our strengths and weaknesses all vary. One may have a natural intuition for flaw questions, but have never encountered logic before and therefore have great difficulty with all assumption questions. If I were to answer your question, I would say that most students probably have the most difficulty with Sufficient Assumption, Necessary Assumption, and Parallel Reasoning. But I would argue that most of that difficulty has more to do with possessing a weak understanding of LSAT logic than those question types themselves. Many students, for example, once you understand LSAT logic and the structure of a Sufficient Assumption question, find them to be some of the easiest questions in the section.

To that end, once you progress beyond a certain point, the question types all begin to blend together anyway. The reason for this is because the underlying principles are much more similar than the seemingly distinct question type labels would lead us to believe. The ability to identify the individual pieces of the argument (premises and conclusions), evaluate how they interact, see the logical interactions of statements, spot cookie-cutter patterns, etc are behind every question.

The good news is that the curriculum does a great job of leading you through all of this. And the user comments are filled with valuable insights too.

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    609 karma

thank you! i am actually doing that i have all the PTS and a booklet from Powerscore that has them sorted for question types from the PTs 1-20 and in accordance to the curriculum when i finish a question type i go do as much as i feel is needed to cultivate the structure of the questions.

I am typing them out as well and giving explanations for why i may have selected a wrong answer; i.e., identifying the traps, the similar words that were used, etc. My goal is to type as many as possible just to expose myself to it. I am preparing for either the December or February tests. My goal would be to analyze all 4000 of the LR lol. I am doing this full-time.

Regards,

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@MichaelTheArchAngel said:
    Additionally since I am starting out, how would experienced LSATers rank from most difficult to least difficult the top 5 on this list, just to so i can start tackling the more difficult ones first

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- https://magoosh.com/lsat/2016/most-common-logical-reasoning-question-types/
    "he table below displays the various types of Logical Reasoning questions, ranked by how frequently they appear on the exam. The number in the “Frequency” column represents how many questions of that type appear in the official LSAT PrepTests. Thus far, the list includes 55 real exams administrated over the past 15 to 20 years.

The numbers show that the vast majority of Logical Reasoning questions on the LSAT are either Assumption, Flaw, or Inference questions. Those three types combined historically represent about 40% of all Logical Reasoning questions. "

Question Type Frequency
    Assumption 427
    Flaw 410
    Inference 402
    Weaken 254
    Strengthen 196

this was related i found here; in terms of individual LSAT tests

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/465

The list seems accurate as far as frequency goes. I'm not sure you can objectively rank them by difficulty however. For example, some people just have a difficult time with assumption questions and just jive with Inference. Others might have trouble understanding how to weaken arguments...

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@MichaelTheArchAngel

My goal would be to analyze all 4000 of the LR lol.

An ambitious goal! Just be sure that you are using your time wisely and only writing explanations for questions that gave you difficulty. Not sure taking 20 minutes to write an explanation for a question you breezed through is a wise spend of finite time. Also, be sure to save 1-20 for drilling once you are in the PT phase. When you take a PT, you'll identify weaknesses that you can address in these early PTs (1-35), but if you've already seen them before that PT, that is less material to learn from.

best of luck!

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    edited June 2017 609 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    @MichaelTheArchAngel

My goal would be to analyze all 4000 of the LR lol.

An ambitious goal! Just be sure that you are using your time wisely and only writing explanations for questions that gave you difficulty. Not sure taking 20 minutes to write an explanation for a question you breezed through is a wise spend of finite time. Also, be sure to save 1-20 for drilling once you are in the PT phase. When you take a PT, you'll identify weaknesses that you can address in these early PTs (1-35), but if you've already seen them before that PT, that is less material to learn from.

best of luck!

o i see what you mean now, dont just do them all save some for improvement later, in conjunction following a PT to work on the areas of weakness. I will try to allocate some for later maybe of each question type will be my cap for just getting used to them or understanding them.

there is about 1000 in there.