Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Devices for self recording

charles27charles27 Alum Member
in General 136 karma

Hey! A lot of people mention the gains they had from recording themelves taking a PT. I'm just curious what device people use to do that? I have an Iphone 6s so what would be good to use with that to record myself? Thanks!

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I recommend this phone stand. Make sure you have at least 3gb of space on your phone and that your phone is in airplane mode.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited July 2017 9377 karma

I use iPhone 6 and this: https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Holder-Gooseneck-iPhone-Phones/dp/B00JK70KUY

As @jkatz1488 said, you should flight mode your phone and check your hard drive space (35 mins on 1080p on my iPhone 6 = 4GB)!

• charles27charles27 Alum Member
    136 karma

@akistotle said:
    I use iPhone 6 and this: https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Holder-Gooseneck-iPhone-Phones/dp/B00JK70KUY)

As @jkatz1488 said, you should flight mode your phone and check your hard drive space (35 mins on 1080p on my iPhone 6 = 4GB)!

@jkatz1488 said:

I recommend this phone stand. Make sure you have at least 3gb of space on your phone and that your phone is in airplane mode.

thanks! and when you guys record do you record the whole test or just specific sections?

5320 karma

I'm still focused on LG so I've only recorded that section. Come to think of it, there is no way i'll ever have enough hard drive space to record a full pt.

9377 karma

@charles27 said:

@akistotle said:
    I use iPhone 6 and this: https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Holder-Gooseneck-iPhone-Phones/dp/B00JK70KUY)

@jkatz1488 said:

thanks! and when you guys record do you record the whole test or just specific sections?

I record the whole test. It takes up like 20GB so I delete all other pictures and apps I'm not using before PT.

5320 karma

@akistotle : ( I am a lowly 5s owner with maximum 12gb of storage

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

Use a computer and USB webcam and storage is no longer an issue :smile:

Also a good point I read is to upload everything to a private YouTube account. It lets you keep all of your records without needing the storage capacity for everything individually

• Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma

@Mellow_Z that's a great idea! I've been using my GoPro but it's not the clearest. how do you angle the camera or do you also use a goose neck?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I also use the Goose Neck : https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Holder-Gooseneck-iPhone-Phones/dp/B00JK70KUY

It works great with my iPhone and yes, absolutely keep on airplane mode. I've messed up a section due to a call due to not having it on AP mode.

9377 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

Also a good point I read is to upload everything to a private YouTube account. It lets you keep all of your records without needing the storage capacity for everything individually

I do upload everything to YouTube (unlisted) too!

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    609 karma

@akistotle said:

@Mellow_Z said:

i once tried to upload something more than 20minutes and did not allow me. Have you experienced this before or know what i am talking about.

9377 karma

@MichaelTheArchAngel said:

@akistotle said:

@Mellow_Z said:

i once tried to upload something more than 20minutes and did not allow me. Have you experienced this before or know what i am talking about.

You have to verify your account in order to upload long videos. It's actually easy to verify.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/71673?hl=en

609 karma

@akistotle said:

@MichaelTheArchAngel said:

@akistotle said:

@Mellow_Z said:

You have to verify your account in order to upload long videos. It's actually easy to verify.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/71673?hl=en

thank you, wow. Because i started doing sections in LR just to test it out and i waited an hour and it basically rejected my video lol.

• dml277dml277 Alum Member
    edited July 2017 775 karma

This is going to sound silly but I tie my phone (facing down) to a desk lamp that I place on a dictionary. Sometimes the weight of the phone can let the desk lamp drop, so I tie the lamp to my curtains above the lamp. It pretty much works like one of those gooseneck phone holders, just slightly more difficult to adjust. But I'm ok with that because I saved money :P

• 1025 karma

That goose neck is absolutely amazing, it's cheap and it can hold a 6S NO problem. The holder can go high enough to fit in the timer in the frame too.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Dumb question alert* what is the benefit of recording yourself?

edited July 2017 609 karma

@tringo335

When people hit plateaus, they rewatch to see which questions (individually) they spent the most time on. Specificially, you can track how long you spent on a MP question or Flaw etc, i think most people put it into an excel to track to see if there are correlations. Essentially, i think the point would be to get good at which questions to skip and save for the end, as well as knowing how long is too long o specific questions.

Also ive read if you get a Sage tutor to watch a section they can spot if your taking too much time say Diagraming in LG, something you just cant see yourself, but someone with more experience can identify.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tringo335 said:
    Dumb question alert* what is the benefit of recording yourself?

To go back and review to see your pace on questions and how you approach questions. For example, after recording myself I realized I was second guessing myself and taking wayyyy too long on easy MP and SA questions. These should have taken me 30-40 seconds, but the recording revealed I took closer to a 1:20.

It also showed me that I diagram too sloppy and that it causes me trouble because it makes it hard to go back and re-use diagrams to answer other questions.

Lastly, and more recently it showed me that I need to use POE more rather than hunt for the right answer.

It is also helpful to show to a tutor so they can sort of get in your mind so to speak to be able to help you. It is an extremely valuable tool.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27853 karma

Not a dumb question at all. I was very hesitant for a long time on this because I thought it sounded kinda dumb. I think Michael and Alex covered the specific benefits pretty well. More broadly though, it's something that pros at all different kinds of things do. Tennis players record their serve. Musicians record their practices. Surgeons record their surgeries. Customer service call centers record their calls. What's the common thread? What do any of these have in common with LSAT? They're all tasks and activities that can only be experienced subjectively by the people performing them. We are very very bad at evaluating our own performance from a subjective POV. Recordings give us an opportunity for objective evaluation. Objectivity is an incredibly powerful tool.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    Not a dumb question at all. I was very hesitant for a long time on this because I thought it sounded kinda dumb. I think Michael and Alex covered the specific benefits pretty well. More broadly though, it's something that pros at all different kinds of things do. Tennis players record their serve. Musicians record their practices. Surgeons record their surgeries. Customer service call centers record their calls. What's the common thread? What do any of these have in common with LSAT? They're all tasks and activities that can only be experienced subjectively by the people performing them. We are very very bad at evaluating our own performance from a subjective POV. Recordings give us an opportunity for objective evaluation. Objectivity is an incredibly powerful tool.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@"Cant Get Right" @"Alex Divine" ah that makes sense :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tringo335 said:
    @"Cant Get Right" @"Alex Divine" ah that makes sense :)

Once you actually do it, and see yourself from an objective perspective it's a feeling I can't explain. It's like being on drugs. You can see yourself and see the mistakes you are making and if you take notes, you and make sure you don't do them again. Or, as I said before, know what to do/not to do/ and what you need to work on.