Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I found this interesting.

Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
in General 903 karma

I'm sitting here doing some BR and got a little curious so I used google to answer my question. I came upon this article and found it interesting. I assume my fellow 7sage LSAT warriors would also enjoy it.

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/lsat-question-writer-interview.html

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Paul Pederson" said:
    I'm sitting here doing some BR and got a little curious so I used google to answer my question. I came upon this article and found it interesting. I assume my fellow 7sage LSAT warriors would also enjoy it.

Thank you for this. I have actually seen this and regularly check out the LSATblog. Very insightful and I think one of the biggest advantages a student prepping for this exam is getting into the mindset of the test writers. I think that is why Mike Kim's Trainer is successful. It might not be the most comprehensive study guide on the market, but it does tend to be written from a perspective of someone who understands and begins from the premise of "how to best approach this test" knowing what the test writers are trying to do.

A lot of this getting better at this test is realizing that the LSAC only has so many tricks up their sleeves. Also, because the test needs to be standardized, it can't ever change that much, not at least too quickly. So the same tricks tend to appear quite often. Novices tend to think that they are randomly missing questions, but usually they are falling for traps designed into the test.

I also think it is why you tend to people stuck or plateaued at certain scores. It's because you're likely at a point where you're getting the easy and medium question right; say when you're at a 160-165. After that, you need to start implementing strategies and a deeper understanding of the logic and tricks they throw at you. For example, an this is a pretty dumb example, on a Lg if a question asks what variable must go in X spot, if I look at my circled floaters, I can automatically eliminate them. Those seconds add up to minutes. That confidence adds up to higher scores.

There's definitely a science to this test and one day I hope to write an entire book on how to do well on this test. Similar to The LSAT Trainer, but much more straight forward. First I have to do well and score a 180 :) all in due time!

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    903 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Paul Pederson" said:

Thank you for this. I have actually seen this and regularly check out the LSATblog. Very insightful and I think one of the biggest advantages a student prepping for this exam is getting into the mindset of the test writers. I think that is why Mike Kim's Trainer is successful. It might not be the most comprehensive study guide on the market, but it does tend to be written from a perspective of someone who understands and begins from the premise of "how to best approach this test" knowing what the test writers are trying to do.

A lot of this getting better at this test is realizing that the LSAC only has so many tricks up their sleeves. Also, because the test needs to be standardized, it can't ever change that much, not at least too quickly. So the same tricks tend to appear quite often. Novices tend to think that they are randomly missing questions, but usually they are falling for traps designed into the test.

I also think it is why you tend to people stuck or plateaued at certain scores. It's because you're likely at a point where you're getting the easy and medium question right; say when you're at a 160-165. After that, you need to start implementing strategies and a deeper understanding of the logic and tricks they throw at you. For example, an this is a pretty dumb example, on a Lg if a question asks what variable must go in X spot, if I look at my circled floaters, I can automatically eliminate them. Those seconds add up to minutes. That confidence adds up to higher scores.

There's definitely a science to this test and one day I hope to write an entire book on how to do well on this test. Similar to The LSAT Trainer, but much more straight forward. First I have to do well and score a 180 :) all in due time!

Thank you, I appreciated that. I just spent 20 minutes BRing PT 17 S2 Q08, still don't understand it, about to watch the explanation vid. This is the second time Ive gone through the CC and it seems this time around I'm able to grasp a lot of the core concepts much better. Last time I rushed through way too fast. For me to get into my target school I must have at min a 165, however I really need a 170.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2017 23929 karma

Check out Manhattan LSAT LR/ Powerscore LR, or The LSAT Trainer if the second time around isn't working for you. I mean, did you do it in earnest, take notes, and do the corresponding drills?

Rushing through the first time can hurt us even going through the second time because it can sort of trick our brains, that love novel ideas and concepts, to ignore and not fully absorb information the second time around. It's not like all is lost, but you may need to take notes the second time around or find another guide for re-learning.

903 karma

I didn't take notes, only had the beginner, and also was doing my undergrad along with work full time. I didn't like the powerscore books, and I also have the trainer. This time around seems to be much much better. I'm progressing, just slowly and steadily.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Paul Pederson" said:
    I didn't take notes, only had the beginner, and also was doing my undergrad along with work full time. I didn't like the powerscore books, and I also have the trainer. This time around seems to be much much better. I'm progressing, just slowly and steadily.

Well, if it's going better then that a good sign. Also, perhaps having the ULT+ will give you the motivation to do more of the problem sets and packets. Not to mention, the last time around you had other large commitments.

903 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Paul Pederson" said:

Well, if it's going better then that a good sign. Also, perhaps having the ULT+ will give you the motivation to do more of the problem sets and packets. Not to mention, the last time around you had other large commitments.

Yea, last time I didnt br correctly. I've now noticed that BRing a simple 5 question drill set will sometimes take me an hour due to notes and breaking each question down to ensure I understand it.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Paul Pederson" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Paul Pederson" said:

Yea, last time I didnt br correctly. I've now noticed that BRing a simple 5 question drill set will sometimes take me an hour due to notes and breaking each question down to ensure I understand it.

Seems like you are truly on the correct path now. Good luck!!

903 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Paul Pederson" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Paul Pederson" said:

Thank you.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Paul Pederson" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Paul Pederson" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Paul Pederson" said:

Thank you.

You got it! Feel free to reach out if I can ever help you. I'm far from a Sage, but I'm getting there and usually around the forums throughout the day.

903 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Paul Pederson" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Paul Pederson" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Paul Pederson" said:

Thank you.

You got it! Feel free to reach out if I can ever help you. I'm far from a Sage, but I'm getting there and usually around the forums throughout the day.

Sounds good! I will.

• H.al1997H.al1997 Member
    318 karma

Wow, so interesting. I've always wondered about this. I was thinking of doing a parody video of how I imagined LSAT test-makers were like after I was done with all of this lol (making short films are a hobby of mine), but the whole process/sympathy for test-takers wasn't at all what I imagined ;P Thanks for sharing!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@mnr12345 said:
    Wow, so interesting. I've always wondered about this. I was thinking of doing a parody video of how I imagined LSAT test-makers were like after I was done with all of this lol (making short films are a hobby of mine), but the whole process/sympathy for test-takers wasn't at all what I imagined ;P Thanks for sharing!

I'd still be interested in seeing a film about these test maker.... It would be.. unique to say the least ;)