Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Starter package- The "Easiest" problem sets

mzoodlemzoodle Member
edited July 2017 in General 226 karma

If I am getting many of the problem sets in the Starter Package package correct,will I get less correct on the harder problems? Basically, I am wondering whether I am only getting them correct because they are "easy" or because I actually understand the material and would get them right regardless of the level of difficulty. Obviously, one way to find out is when I take the PT's....

Comments

• aman_matharuaman_matharu Member
    edited July 2017 4 karma

It could be both. Usually the problems categorized as "easy" tend to not have many tricks. Also, from what I have noticed the easy ones are usually the first 10 questions you would see in the LR section. The first 10 questions are also the questions which are on the easier side. From my personal experience the only thing which changed for me making a shift from easy to harder questions was the time I spent on the harder ones. Process is the same, if you follow the instructions from the lessons I am sure you would be fine with the harder ones too.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@mzoodle said:
    If I am getting many of the problem sets in the Starter Package package correct,will I get less correct on the harder problems? Basically, I am wondering whether I am only getting them correct because they are "easy" or because I actually understand the material and would get them right regardless of the level of difficulty. Obviously, one way to find out is when I take the PT's....

Well, it seems like you're sort of asking the wrong question. First, there's no way to know for sure. If you're getting them all right, that's a good sign, and certainly means you are understanding the material. The only real difference between the easy and hard questions are superficial things. More convoluted stimuli, harder to understand grammar, more advanced logic, less easy to eliminate answer choices, etc.

I think if you're getting most of the easy problem sets right, it is safe to say you understand the material. You aren't getting them all right by chance or intuition. When I only had the starter set with the easy questions and was getting them all correct, on LR I was missing about 5 or 6 per section. This data is pretty useless because I only did a few older sections back then, but still it may serve as some purposeful benchmark of what to expect.

Now, the second part of the question is the part that is the issue. Getting questions right, regardless of the level of difficulty, often doesn't have to do with just understanding the material. If that were the case many of us would have higher scores. The LSAT is a test of applied skills and theory, not just understanding the material itself. Applying those skills in a timely manner, not being tricked, and having the right strategies and moreover applying them correctly is how you're going to get the harder questions right. Also, the criteria of what makes questions hard or easy is somewhat subjective.

How far along are you through the CC? If further enough along, perhaps taking a full timed section may be something you want to consider.

I still think if you are getting most of the easy right, you are on the right path. I would say 10 out of 26 of the questions on any given Lr section are easy. Maybe 10 medium and 6 hard. Then out of the hard 3 are likely curve breaker questions that are the hardest you'll come across. FYI these are just my estimations and I know others have broken down the difficulty level of the average section. So take that as an example to consider, but with a grain of salt.

• mzoodlemzoodle Member
    226 karma

Thanks guys! :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@mzoodle said:
    Thanks guys! :)

:) good luck on your journey!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Also, always feel free to PM/comment if you have any questions at all -- me or one of the other helpful sagers will help. I remember starting off and not being able to intuitively know what to do next or how to feel about my progress. Again, I think you are off to an excellent start!