Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too old?

lsatman2015lsatman2015 Free Trial Member
edited July 2017 in General 4 karma

Hey guys,

I'm 25 years old and have been studying for the LSAT well over two years on and off. I've sat in the exam 3 times already and my scores have been respectively 142, 154, and 152. Even thought I've been pting in the 160s, I keep messing up on the actual test.

I live with my parents and work full-time as well. They're quite upset I haven't started law school yet. I know if I take the exam this last time I can hit my goal of low 160s. However, I'm getting a lot pressure from friends, cousins, and my parents to start law school as I've wasted a lot of time.

So, I figure you guys could give me sound advice as to if the benefits exceed the costs of waiting one more year. I do have a full-ride to t3 schools and have been accepted to bottom t1 schools like uf and even temple.

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

I would say it has less to be too old (as people twice your age are going to school) and more about what you want.

Where do you want to go to school? What's your plan for a job after? What schools can help you get there... and what are you going to do differently to prepare?

Also where is your GPA in the mix and how does the cost of school impact you?

If you wait a year and have the same scholarships, you lost a year. If you get a better LSAT and get into a better school but little to no aid... how does that impact you?

Everyone had their own reasons for putting off or going. If you have acceptances and scholarships why are you waiting? What do you hope to gain? What's the cost vs the benefit of waiting for you.

• usernameusername Alum Member
    276 karma

lolz. 25 and asking if you're too old... I understand feeling pressure to move forward, but starting school at 25 vs. 26 will have no bearing on your future employment prospects. The school you attend and the debt you're burdened with will.

Sounds like you yourself don't want to go without getting a better score first. You say that you've been studying off and on for two years. Why not try studying all on and no off for the next few months and give the December test a shot? If December comes and you're not feeling prepared, wait until next cycle. That being said, only do that if you're gonna actually study consistently for the next year or whatevs.

As for the T3/T1/admissions issue. That's entirely up to your goals. If you've got some connections in the field (ie your relatives own a law firm) and just need to be barred, go for the free T3. State schools like UF can work out well if you have in-state tuition and want to practice locally. If you're hopin to score one of the more prestigious firms, though, you'd have to basically be #1 in your class though. Match your school to your goals.

Also, unless your parents and friends are paying your tuition and COL expenses (and living your life for you), I suggest you try to minimize the role their disappointment plays in any decision you make.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2017 23929 karma

I'm 25, worked 2 + years and have been prepping on and off for about a 11 months. Barack Obama started law school at 27. I like to use that just for reference.

Simply put, you're an adult now. Make your own choices. Rush to go to any law school with a 152, and honestly, I would reconsider law at all. (In before the anecdotes about friends who graduated from Cardozo law and got jobs at WLRK. LOL)

Law is ONE of the most competitive field right now. The unemployment rate is almost 7 times, yes times, more than other fields; not 7% .... 7 times.

@lsatman2015 "I know if I take the exam this last time I can hit my goal of low 160s. However, I'm getting a lot pressure from friends, cousins, and my parents to start law school as I've wasted a lot of time."

So you know what you're capable of and letting parents and pressure from these people stifle you? By 25 your parents should be your peers. You should care just as much as what their friends think about you as them. That is a good litmus test to know if you've become an adult. In the end, your parents won't be unemployed with 230k in debt and a scarlet JD on their resume, i.e., you have a J.D. and can't get a job as lawyer; employers will think you are must be defunct.

If you want to be an attorney, get into the best school you can at the best price you can. This will be achieved with a higher LSAT score than what you currently have. And the best part is, now they changed it to unlimited takes! So you have no reason not to study harder, longer, and take when you're ready.

Pressures from those who don't understand the legal/financial markets right now should be ignored. Most people, even if they mean well, have zero idea what they are talking about. Least of all boomers, who in their day, becoming a lawyer meant instant upper middle class mobility. Now it's instant Starbucks barista and heavy debt.

You know what you've capable of! You said so yourself.... Figure out what you need to do to get your scores in the 160s consistently. A course? Tutor? More practice under timed conditions and pressure? Only you know the answer to that. Regardless, I believe in you and know you can achieve what you set to accomplish. Keep on going and don't take the test again until you've mitigated the issues that are keeping you scoring below your average.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

p.s. Definitely not too old. Average basically vis-a-vis law schoolers

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@LSATman1 are you too old?? Hehe! If you're old, I'm ancient! The first thing you gotta do is dismiss all comments from your fam and friends. I literally have to catch myself at times because I want to go the F off on everybody that has a pissy comment about why I haven't enrolled yet. Ask them to diagram a LG. They don't even have to complete the thing, just diagram it and see how far they get. I've shut up several with this method. For the most part the masses seem to think you're going in on test day and regurgitating what you've learned. Wrong. We all know that's a lie but you can't tell that. I understand you're still living with your parents but if they aren't footing the bill for law school I think you need to do what you think will help minimize costs. And you are nowhere near too old. I guess by the time I enroll I'll be old enough to be some of my classmates mama!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

31 here, haha.

I think a great litmus test for how much to listen to family and friends is to base it proportionally on how much of your debt they're going to take on, and how similar their goals were to yours when they studied for the LSAT, went to law school, and started a legal career.

Top law schools are filled with patient, disciplined students who were willing to do whatever it took for as long as it took to prepare to the best of their abilities. I say hold off, and make the most of having an extra year before law school consumes every aspect of your life.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

Yeah, 25 is approaching Grandpa's age. What are you even thinking?!

Jk. jk. It's a great age to go to law school. You have experienced life a bit and know what you want. You will be more motivated than a lot of other young people who may not know if this is right for them. A lot of people now wait to go to grad school and take time off to find themselves first. <3

• imharrisimharris Alum Member
    466 karma

also... you'll probably work till you're 85 years old given current life expectancy projections and the state of social security, etc.

i'd boldly suggest you ditch the rents and join the peace corps or americorps. move to central america or central united states and do some work in a field outside of law.

your parents, friends, and relatives might get mad, but you'll be a better lawyer for it. you're parents will love you forever and your true friends will come and visit.

there are countless stories of people rushing into law school at a young age and graduating with mountains of debt or a degree that is worthless. others drop out halfway through law school after realizing it isn't what they actually want to do. a personal friend of mine graduated uf in 2013. she's currently waiting tables at a sushi place. it's a nice sushi place, but not what she thought she'd be doing.

what are your top five dream jobs? i've still got own my own record store on my list... (a very dated high fidelity reference that you are much too young to get i am sure...)

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

Hey,

Here's my story and it will make you feel better. I'm 24. I have been studying for the LSAT on and off for FIVE. FREAKIN. YEARS. (YES FIVE) In that time I had a baby etc. Life gets in the way and if you can get even a 5 point increase by waiting out another cycle then it's worth it ESPECIALLY if you look at it in terms of scholarship $. You really should stop and evaluate if this is really what YOU want not if it is what your parents, or significant other, or friends want for you - being a parent brings that perspective out.

708 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    I'm 25, worked 2 + years and have been prepping on and off for about a 11 months. Barack Obama started law school at 27. I like to use that just for reference.

Simply put, you're an adult now. Make your own choices. Rush to go to any law school with a 152, and honestly, I would reconsider law at all. (In before the anecdotes about friends who graduated from Cardozo law and got jobs at WLRK. LOL)

Law is ONE of the most competitive field right now. The unemployment rate is almost 7 times, yes times, more than other fields; not 7% .... 7 times.

@lsatman2015 "I know if I take the exam this last time I can hit my goal of low 160s. However, I'm getting a lot pressure from friends, cousins, and my parents to start law school as I've wasted a lot of time."

So you know what you're capable of and letting parents and pressure from these people stifle you? By 25 your parents should be your peers. You should care just as much as what their friends think about you as them. That is a good litmus test to know if you've become an adult. In the end, your parents won't be unemployed with 230k in debt and a scarlet JD on their resume, i.e., you have a J.D. and can't get a job as lawyer; employers will think you are must be defunct.

If you want to be an attorney, get into the best school you can at the best price you can. This will be achieved with a higher LSAT score than what you currently have. And the best part is, now they changed it to unlimited takes! So you have no reason not to study harder, longer, and take when you're ready.

Pressures from those who don't understand the legal/financial markets right now should be ignored. Most people, even if they mean well, have zero idea what they are talking about. Least of all boomers, who in their day, becoming a lawyer meant instant upper middle class mobility. Now it's instant Starbucks barista and heavy debt.

You know what you've capable of! You said so yourself.... Figure out what you need to do to get your scores in the 160s consistently. A course? Tutor? More practice under timed conditions and pressure? Only you know the answer to that. Regardless, I believe in you and know you can achieve what you set to accomplish. Keep on going and don't take the test again until you've mitigated the issues that are keeping you scoring below your average.

instant starbucks barista - LOL

• Moniagui22Moniagui22 Alum Member
    edited July 2017 61 karma

I feel the same way as @lsatman2015. :/ And I've talked myself out of law school many times, yet again I find myself back on studying and saying this is the "last time" in hopes to improve my score. It seems like I can't let go of the idea of NOT becoming an attorney.
    @"Alex Divine" I like reading your comments, they keep me motivated. Thanks!

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I know EXACTLY how you feel. My family does the same (and strangers too -- why do people feel the need to offer advice?) I am constantly asked why I want to only attend a top 14 law school - that any great school will open doors for me. The next time someone asks you that question, show them this article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bentaylor/2014/08/14/why-law-school-rankings-matter-more-than-any-other-education-rankings/#7c1582632ddd. Then kindly say Bye Felicia.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@kkrystyna said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

instant starbucks barista - LOL

Haha! *Sad but true. Though, it was instant Barnes and Noble first year associate. Not exactly a Big Law. Big book, yes! ;)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2017 23929 karma

God, now is just not a good time to go to law school for most people lol. Mathematically it's just by far the most oversaturated, depressed, and overstressed profession.

My advice is don't start off like most people and not do well on this test. The average score is around a 152 I believe.... Studies show the levels of an individual's consciousness is one of the strongest determinants of whether or not they will be successful in a profession like law. (Along with a IQ and a few other super important stats) So start being consciousness now and, again, realize the gravity of this test.

My parent's died when I was very young and I kind of figured out a lot of life on my own. One super important lesson was that being like on the streets, homeless, no food, money, nothing, no one .... It's a couple of bad decisions away. As a result, I've spent my entire life making sure I'm not making those decisions. Big debt and no job because your parents at 25 were pressuring you sounds like one of those decisions. It may seem hyperbolic but damn if I haven't seen similar things happen to people I was close to.

You're here asking and getting feedback, which shows you at least care to do well. That's a big first step. You got this, dude. And a whole community that will be here to help and support in any way! :smile:

708 karma

@tringo335 said:
    I know EXACTLY how you feel. My family does the same (and strangers too -- why do people feel the need to offer advice?) I am constantly asked why I want to only attend a top 14 law school - that any great school will open doors for me. The next time someone asks you that question, show them this article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bentaylor/2014/08/14/why-law-school-rankings-matter-more-than-any-other-education-rankings/#7c1582632ddd. Then kindly say Bye Felicia.

thx so much for this I'm going to show it next time my mom bugs me eyeroll

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1184 karma

23 turning 24 on Monday here. I know how you feel having African parents where education is the topic in every conversation. Working full time at a stressful job and studying for the LSAT, my mom cannot seem to understand why I don't go ahead and take the LSAT. Along with the attorneys who constantly ask me when I am going to law school, I totally understand what the pressure feels like. My advice is do what you want and wait until you get that target LSAT score. Being a daddy's girl who loves to please her parents, at some point I had to move out and do things my way. Although sometimes I feel like a failure for not going straight to law school right away like many of my friends, I try to remember that I am on my own journey and things will happen when it is meant to happen. Don't let friends and family rush you into your dream, let your dream happen the way it is supposed to. I can imagine all the pressure may be affecting your performance. What helped my dad see the light is taking him on a couple of law school tours. When he saw how important the LSAT is, he has totally changed and has become super supportive. Btw 25 is not old at all, I am turning 24 and people refer to me as a baby at work, we still have so much in life to experience so you are definitely not too old. Don't let anyone pressure you into a life you do not want. I don't know about you, but I will not get pushed into mediocrity for anybody. You live life on your terms and do what makes you happy. If getting a 160 is your dream, go for it.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@ElleWoods77 said:

Along with the attorneys who constantly ask me when I am going to law school, I totally understand what the pressure feels like.

Oh my goodness yes; this is exactly why I've only told a select group of people about my law school aspirations. When I thought I wanted to go to Business School, I told the entire world because I was so excited. Boy was that a mistake. Once I changed my mind, I kept kidding hounded about when I was going, why I'd changed my mind, etc. Now that I've found what I really want to do, I've only confided in my closest peeps who understand my goals and why the journey is so long. It takes so much pressure off.

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1184 karma

@tringo335 said:

@ElleWoods77 said:

Along with the attorneys who constantly ask me when I am going to law school, I totally understand what the pressure feels like.

Oh my goodness yes; this is exactly why I've only told a select group of people about my law school aspirations. When I thought I wanted to go to Business School, I told the entire world because I was so excited. Boy was that a mistake. Once I changed my mind, I kept kidding hounded about when I was going, why I'd changed my mind, etc. Now that I've found what I really want to do, I've only confided in my closest peeps who understand my goals and why the journey is so long. It takes so much pressure off.

I completely agree. I mean working with attorneys has been a blessing because they have let me into their world and have given me alot of advice, but I really do not wish to discuss the LSAT at every living moment. I think they are just excited and see themselves in me so they want to take me under their wing haha. What I do in order to have my cake and eat is, I simply keep it short and sweet whenever the LSAT comes up. I simply say I am working with a tutor and I am not sure when I will take it and leave it at that and discuss other stuff. Not everybody needs to know your business. I have decided that I will only confide in my family and closest friends when I take the LSAT, and once I have finished my journey with a score I am happy with that is when I will tell everybody. For the sake of peace and sanity, I have learned to really protect your dream and not let anybody know your next move. Especially when you work with uneducated petty people who will target you for wanting more than the office haha.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited July 2017 13286 karma

Every single one of you is on the correct path for you. Don't let anyone tell you differently!

As for me I'm a 28 year old who messed around a lot when I younger. I have even more work to do now to make up for it. You guys are stars in my eyes, when I was in the low 20's I only wanted to sleep and play video games

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Besides, after some thinking about his subject, you're never too old to follow your dreams. My ex was a social worker of sorts and she regularly worked with an attorney who was in his 50s? And this was his 3rd career. Age probably matters more insofar as field of law and where you want to start off. As just for going to LS and follow your passion, age shouldn't stop you.