Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Applying in December

rene4231rene4231 Alum Member
edited July 2017 in Law School Admissions 162 karma

I really want to wait until my last semester grades are posted before applying, which would be mid-December. My PT score is 165, and 173 BR and I'll be taking the LSAT in September. I already have my PS, LOR, addendum, and additional essays prepared so really I could apply once the September LSAT grades are posted.

I would greatly appreciate any advice. I would like to apply in October, however, I recognize patience is a virtue. Looking mostly T-40 schools. Thanks!

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I think you'd be cutting it really close for December. When are transcripts updated at your school? Just because the grades are released doesn't mean the registrar has had time to reflect the update. Then you have to consider how long it'll take for LSAC to update your profile. I did an electronic recently, and it was under a week.

Does your school offers retroactive withdrawal? I know it's late, but with a doctors note who knows. Turning some of those Fs into Ws may help your overall GPA.

What schools are you specifically looking at? Just plugging your numbers in, you have a shot at some in the T40.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

With a 173 you would have a shot at the T14 even with a 165 you would still have a shot at T40 probably with some $ involved but the increase from 165-173 would be substantial. I BELIEVE that you can apply in Sep then still send in your Dec grades?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Focus on your LSAT and then go from there. You should also get work experience, especially to distance yourself from the low LSAC GPA, even more importantly, work experience is the most underrated thing pre law students tend to neglect. It may only be seen as a minor factor by admissions, but when it comes time to find a legal job, having that work experience on your resume will be invaluable. You may also find law isn't for you -- maybe now you're absolutely certain more than anything. If so, try to find an entry level legal job somewhere. With a UG degree you can get jobs doing paralegal type work at firms.

You could also take more classes to raise your GPA instead of graduating a year early.

Also, take as much time as you need to score that 173 your BR score shows your capable of doing. IF it means you need to wait another cycle, it is worth it.

A "T-40" school are really a meaningless distinction. So you should think abut regional ties, employment stats, bar passage, and where you might like to practice. But perhaps most importantly: $$$.