Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Choose a Law School?

andrewpete93andrewpete93 Free Trial Member

Hello 7sagers! Vague question alert here, but I took the June LSAT and am starting the application process - how do I go about narrowing down my list of schools? What kind of process are you using? Not entirely sure where I eventually want to settle down and practice (which is complicating things), but I scored a 166 and have a 3.85 LSAC GPA (OK softs, played a sport 4 years in college if that makes a difference). Do you think I can get into some of the lower tier T-14 schools? Any help is appreciated - thanks!

Comments

• NicholasDayNicholasDay Alum Member
    86 karma

I would think you have a great shot at some lower T-14 schools. A good resource to use for this is http://mylsn.info/r/pre-law/admissions/search/. You just got to plug in your data points and you can see where people similar to you have applied and been accepted. Just take this infomation with a slight grain of salt however; as it is all self-reported.

• andrewpete93andrewpete93 Free Trial Member
    62 karma

thanks @NicholasDay! I've done some research on lawschoolnumbers and it seems like a great resource.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@andrewpete93 said:
    Hello 7sagers! Vague question alert here, but I took the June LSAT and am starting the application process - how do I go about narrowing down my list of schools? What kind of process are you using? Not entirely sure where I eventually want to settle down and practice (which is complicating things), but I scored a 166 and have a 3.85 LSAC GPA (OK softs, played a sport 4 years in college if that makes a difference). Do you think I can get into some of the lower tier T-14 schools? Any help is appreciated - thanks!

Yeah, you likely have a good shot at lower T14s. It's hard to make that decision without knowing where you'd like to practice. Honestly, with the market as it is, I would probably go to the best school I could get into and afford and not look back. If that means going to a T20 on a great scholarship, then that's what I'd do. I think region would come last for me, but that's just because I don't really care too much about location. That's just me personally though.

To decide what you can afford is the hard part. But I think it mostly boils down to family contributions, savings, and how debt averse you are. My thinking is that If you want to be a lawyer, giving yourself the best shot at employment is more important than almost anything else.

So I'm really making my final decisions based on a few things: employment, ranking, and region.