Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Vocabularly

mzoodlemzoodle Member
in General 226 karma

Do people actually study words commonly used on the LSAT? Thoughts?

Comments

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

imo, I think the only vocab worth actually studying are the sufficient, necessary, premise, and conclusion indicators. As far as "hard" vocab, it's not worth wasting time on to specifically study those words like you need to do for the GRE.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Core Member
    2983 karma

I agree with everything that Mellow said. The only words that I've studied have been the logical indicators.

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    edited August 2017 1084 karma

I have to disagree and say as a general comment that reading widely and even doing a vocab builder can be really valuable for the LSAT. I have a vocab builder application on my phone and pull it out when I'm on the bus or waiting in lines. Being well-read also helps a lot with uncommon words that may come up on the LSAT. Sometimes an entire question can turn on the understanding of a particular word they chose to throw in in the answer choices. I've noticed this especially in reading comp.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I'm actually with @"vanessa fisher" on this one. The vocabulary on the LSAT is one tool the question writers have to try and make a question harder.

Words like phenomena are used all the time on the test. What is a phenomena? It's just a thing. The words are interchangeable.

• That was a really extravagant phenomenon.

• That was a really extravagant thing.

In a lot of cases, especially Flaw questions, being able to simplify what the AC is saying makes the whole question easier.

• the claim presupposes what it sets out to prove

• the claim assumes what it's trying to prove.

Knowing that some of these words are interchangeable, at least for me, can help me get through some questions.

It's not the KEY to studying, or improving, but it does help support you.

• JerryClarke242JerryClarke242 Alum Member
    edited August 2017 602 karma

I also agree with @"vanessa fisher". You want to get as many questions right as quickly as you can, and sometimes you can be slowed down because you don't understand the meaning of a word. I'm still working my way through the CC, and I keep a glossary of all the words I did not understand in order to ensure that I don't get another question wrong because of that same word.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

@mzoodle said:
    Do people actually study words commonly used on the LSAT? Thoughts?

I don't think many do but I agree that it can be helpful. If you have trouble understanding any of the words on the test it will definitely help you to make some flashcards or something. The good news is that I don't think there are too many words you'll run into that you won't know with the exception of science heavy RC passages.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I wouldn't say "study" the words, but if I find a word I don't know the meaning to, then I google it :P

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I agree with @TheMikey. There may not be a reason to do any heavy vocab studying, but as you're doing questions, if there's a word in the AC that you don't know go ahead and google it and commit to learning it. I've had to google a few words here and there just to eliminate an AC.

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

i highlight words i dont know on practice test and then just look those up. but hey there over achievers who study the vocabs

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27853 karma

@TheMikey said:
    I wouldn't say "study" the words, but if I find a word I don't know the meaning to, then I google it :P

Yeah, I think this is the main thing. Any time you come across a word you don't know, look it up. You should do this in general, not just for LSAT, but I've definitely missed a few questions over misunderstanding the meaning of a word. "Bemusement" is one I remember specifically from several RC ACs, but there's definitely been others.