Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to rebound from a low score

Brie_CheyBrie_Chey Free Trial Member
in General 8 karma

I have been studying for the LSAT for 4 months now and have been consistently getting 156-157, and have been working my way to 160. I took a PT on Sunday only to get a 152... and I am feeling extremely discouraged because of it. Any tips to help remove myself from this mindset?

Comments

• KillmongerKillmonger Alum Member
    332 karma

Hey sometimes you have to just chalk it up to a bad test day for you and try to see what you did differently on that test vs other tests. This happened to me a couple weeks ago. Target score is a 170 and i been sitting in the 165-169 range for the last 15 or so PT's. Couple tests ago i got a 159. I knew halfway into that i wasn't in the mood to take the test. I was tired and felt off overall. I forced myself to take it which was why i just wanted to get it over with and didn't care as much. But when i was in the mood to take it, i got a 174 on the BR. Honestly you just have to chalk it up as a bad test but stay away from anything you did that made you fall short. You will have ups and downs in this process. Keep track of what you missed and why and come back to them.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

@luckieduckie96 said:
    I have been studying for the LSAT for 4 months now and have been consistently getting 156-157, and have been working my way to 160. I took a PT on Sunday only to get a 152... and I am feeling extremely discouraged because of it. Any tips to help remove myself from this mindset?

Begin to look at your low scores and weaknesses as blessings in disguise and embrace them! The more you get wrong now and address now the less you will get wrong on the real test.

This isn't the real test, so your score only matters as much as you make it matter. You know what you've been consistently getting (157), so you likely just had an off day or ran into some question types you need some work on. Either way, think of it as a test that doesn't count that will allow you to do better when you sit for the actual test.

Also, dips in your PT score happen to literally everybody. LSAT progress is far from linear and things like this are par for the course.

• sandy180sandy180 Alum Member
    159 karma

Bury that 152. Review the hell out it and own every question on that PT. Remember, a sub-par PT score is just another opportunity to climb up a rung. Scoring 160+ is simply having solid fundamentals, focus, and staying positive (as trite as that sounds, it's true). You got this! Chin up:)

• Brie_CheyBrie_Chey Free Trial Member
    8 karma

Thank you guys for the words of encouragement, I really appreciate it! I am currently looking over the PT right now and reviewing the hell out of it, seems to be a pretty hard one for the LG (Superprep test C). I won't let this affect my mindset going into further PT's and sure won't let it affect me on test day!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@luckieduckie96 said:
    Thank you guys for the words of encouragement, I really appreciate it! I am currently looking over the PT right now and reviewing the hell out of it, seems to be a pretty hard one for the LG (Superprep test C). I won't let this affect my mindset going into further PT's and sure won't let it affect me on test day!

Dude, I think all the superprep tests A,B,C, C2 had super hard LG sections. I think on PTB I missed like double the amount in LG I usually do. So definitely don't sweat it if you had a bit of a score drop on these tests. Just keep on reviewing the hell out of it like you are!

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

This was me a long time ago. all I did was literally practice A LOT, and when I PT'd I would change my mindset and just tell myself I know how to do this shit. it takes a lot (mentally) to force yourself to have this mindset, at least from it was hard for a while, but you can def do it.