Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SO frustrated (timing help!)

HshutterHshutter Alum Member
in General 90 karma

I have been PTing for a while now, and I got my best score of 166 about 2 weeks ago. I was feeling really encouraged, and I thought I had rounded a corner, and would maybe be able to hit 170 by test day in September. After I got the 166, I took 3 more practice tests- and I bombed. I couldn't figure out why, but all of the sudden I didn't have enough time to finish the sections, and I was left scrambling to guess on lots of problems. Long story short, after 3 tests following my 166, where I scored low (158, 157, 154) I noticed my timer on the proctor of the app was off. Instead of being set for 35 mins a section, it was set to 30 mins a section, which means I was getting the 5 minute warning after only 25 mins. I felt deeply relieved to have a partial-reason for my lower score. But even still, now when I'm taking a test with the correct timer, Im not performing as well as I was- my entire perception of time is OFF. I feel rushed even when I don't need to be, and I'm frantic and panicky pretty much the entire test. When I try to slow down, and work through problems, I slow down TOO much. I'm hoping that as I readjust to the correct time, I'll be able to bring my score back to where I'm consistently scoring in the mid to high 160's, but I'm feeling super frustrated. Does anybody have any good timing tips, or has anybody had something similar happen?

Comments

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

Try drilling with a timer for 1 minute and 25 seconds. Just do 10-15 problems with it and it should sharpen up your perception again!

• HshutterHshutter Alum Member
    90 karma

@Victoria14 Good call! I'll be sure to try that and report back how it goes!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

One thing you can do to help re-set your internal clock is to take a practice section with a stop watch counting up. Push the pace but don't rush like you have been. This will hopefully help you try to get back to a pace you are comfortable with.

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

Perhaps, do a test where each section is 40 min instead of 35, to get your mind back focused on answering the questions and not so worried about the time?

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

@Hshutter said:
    @Victoria14 Good call! I'll be sure to try that and report back how it goes!

Let me know if it helps!