Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

167 with -8 RC, Save Me

jtrevethanjtrevethan Free Trial Member

I've tried a whole range of RC strats, from intense annotating to virtually none at all. RC score just hasn't seen any consistent improvement. Score fluctuates between -3 to -9. I also notice that I spend way too much time on the first passages, not because they're more difficult, but because I try to maximize the # of questions I get on easier passages. I'm also poop soup at inference questions. For testers PTing with PT70+, what RC strats have been most effective for you?

Rest of breakdown is:
1-3 per LR,
0-1 LG,
3-9 RC

Comments

• sandy180sandy180 Alum Member
    159 karma

Have you tried reading the questions first? It is not a popular technique but as a slow reader it works very well for me. I do zero notating and only circle names and bracket passage sections mentioned in the questions. Maybe give it a try? I'm -1 or -2 on RC. Was -7+ when I started.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Thanks for this reminder. I'm also in the same boat a good RC and I'm mid/low I70s bad RC high 160s tragically had a -8 in June which was a shock since I thought I'd fix my RC woes.

• edited August 2017 1025 karma

I think it would be logical to find out where exactly the problems are. Whether it is timing, overall understanding, the questions, or just not being able to quickly go back and find an answer in the passage.

Incorporating several strategies to specifically remedy your problems might be easier then blindly trying different strategies that might not address your particular inefficiencies.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

@jtrevethan said:
    because I try to maximize the # of questions I get on easier passages.

All passages have easy and hard questions. I think if you're spending too much time on an "easy" passage then you're going to miss the easy questions on the "hard" passage. You've got to have the confidence to give proper time to every passage.

Hard questions are hard for even the best scorers. Rather than spend an extra minute on a hard question for an easy passage, save that to ensure you get the 1-2 easy questions right on the hard passage.