Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Someone help

celina697celina697 Alum Member
in General 123 karma

So, I signed up for the September LSAT and although I have been studying for a couple months, I know I won't be ready. I have a 3.8 GPA and right now am around a 157 LSAT score. I may increase it a little before the test, but I think it's time I make the decision to postpone until December. Do you guys think I'm making the right call on this? Just wanted some insight before making the final decision.

Thanks!

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

What is your goal score?

• celina697celina697 Alum Member
    123 karma

@TheMikey said:
    What is your goal score?

I'd be happy being over a 160, but I'd be realllly happy being over a 165.

edited August 2017 4196 karma

@celina697 said:

@TheMikey said:
    What is your goal score?

Then yeah, I'd say postpone. Although some would say there's no point since you can take as many times as you want, but still, you should be as prepared as you can before you sit for the exam. You have a really great GPA, definitely aim as high as you can for the LSAT. So yes, I'd say postpone! :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@celina697 said:
    So, I signed up for the September LSAT and although I have been studying for a couple months, I know I won't be ready. I have a 3.8 GPA and right now am around a 157 LSAT score. I may increase it a little before the test, but I think it's time I make the decision to postpone until December. Do you guys think I'm making the right call on this? Just wanted some insight before making the final decision.

Thanks!

Yeah, I definitely think you're making the right call! If you want a 160, it's safe to take it once you're scoring at around a 165 or so. This way even if you have a bad day and nerves get to you, you'll still get a score you're happy with.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

You really should wait. The higher score would be 100% worth it with your GPA. If you don't feel ready then you shouldn't rush in.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Postpone, postpone, postpone. I think an exception to the no-caps rule should be made for this. Whaddya say, @"Dillon A. Wright"

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma

I agree. I think many people on here are serial postponers, haha. You can definitely improve and solidly score in the 160s given enough prep.

123 karma

@TheMikey said:

@celina697 said:

@TheMikey said:
    What is your goal score?

Then yeah, I'd say postpone. Although some would say there's no point since you can take as many times as you want, but still, you should be as prepared as you can before you sit for the exam. You have a really great GPA, definitely aim as high as you can for the LSAT. So yes, I'd say postpone! :)

Thank you for your help!!

123 karma

@RafaelBernard said:
    I agree. I think many people on here are serial postponers, haha. You can definitely improve and solidly score in the 160s given enough prep.

Thanks for the encouragement!

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

Simple advice: postpone, study hard, get that 165+, reap the benefits

123 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@celina697 said:

Thanks!

Yeah, I definitely think you're making the right call! If you want a 160, it's safe to take it once you're scoring at around a 165 or so. This way even if you have a bad day and nerves get to you, you'll still get a score you're happy with.

Good advice, thank you!

123 karma

@uhinberg said:
    Postpone, postpone, postpone. I think an exception to the no-caps rule should be made for this. Whaddya say, @"Dillon A. Wright"

Thanks for your input :smile:

123 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    You really should wait. The higher score would be 100% worth it with your GPA. If you don't feel ready then you shouldn't rush in.

I agree, thank you!

123 karma

@Freddy_D said:

That's what I'm aiming for! Thank you!

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

@celina697 said:

@Freddy_D said:

That's what I'm aiming for! Thank you!

No problem. If you ever need any more advice, let us know.

4196 karma

@celina697 said:

@TheMikey said:

@celina697 said:

@TheMikey said:
    What is your goal score?

Thank you for your help!!

np :)

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I think that you are right to postpone. Wasting a solid GPA on a less than stellar learnable test score seems like a shame. I have a GPA a couple tenths below yours and can tell you it feels a lot better to worry about that GPA holding me back than to think about the set of opportunities I'd have trying to hold my application up with my GPA.

I also think postponing is an opportunity to reevaluate your studying process and decide what's working and not working in what sections.

I started out pretty bad at the logic games and since I'm used to being a very solid test taker and good student I had never had to put in the months of solid prep that I have now to foolproofing to actually get close to decent at them. I was naturally pretty good at the other sections, but they can be improved on through the brutal grind of exposure and blind review as well. So don't make this September, December, or even this cycle the end all be all of your prep. If it takes a year, get that score.

With GPA's just below yours (mine) scholarship options to top 20 schools really start to open up with a score in the high 160's or low 170's as do Top 14 acceptances. For extra motivation try law school numbers calculator every once in a while. http://mylsn.info/m2671f/

123 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    I think that you are right to postpone. Wasting a solid GPA on a less than stellar learnable test score seems like a shame. I have a GPA a couple tenths below yours and can tell you it feels a lot better to worry about that GPA holding me back than to think about the set of opportunities I'd have trying to hold my application up with my GPA.

I also think postponing is an opportunity to reevaluate your studying process and decide what's working and not working in what sections.

I started out pretty bad at the logic games and since I'm used to being a very solid test taker and good student I had never had to put in the months of solid prep that I have now to foolproofing to actually get close to decent at them. I was naturally pretty good at the other sections, but they can be improved on through the brutal grind of exposure and blind review as well. So don't make this September, December, or even this cycle the end all be all of your prep. If it takes a year, get that score.

With GPA's just below yours (mine) scholarship options to top 20 schools really start to open up with a score in the high 160's or low 170's as do Top 14 acceptances. For extra motivation try law school numbers calculator every once in a while. http://mylsn.info/m2671f/

Very insightful, thank you so much!

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@uhinberg said:

As long as it's not in a thread title.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/XreQmk7ETCak0/giphy.gif

• Ortiz_44Ortiz_44 Member
    90 karma

Don't postpone most schools except Yale, take your highest LSAT scoreif anything it'll give you a chance to experience it on the real conditions

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Ortiz_44 said:
    Don't postpone most schools except Yale, take your highest LSAT scoreif anything it'll give you a chance to experience it on the real conditions

While that's true, it doesn't mean they don't consider the other scores. It's always better to have one great score when applying rather than multiple scores that are lower.

4196 karma

@Ortiz_44 said:

Yeah, but just getting the real conditions experience is not at all worth having a screwed up score on your record, assuming you don't luck out and score well. I get where you're coming from, but it's honestly just better to be well prepared than to wing it.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Not that you need any more advice but... please please please POSTPONE.

123 karma

@tringo335 said:

Lol I could be wrong, but I'm getting the slight inclination that it is a better idea to postpone. Thanks for your input!! I was nervous to post to this forum because everyone seems so much further ahead of me but everyone has been very nice and helpful :smile:

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

I'm gonna be the grim reaper here but ... The last day you can post pone was the 22nd. You will just have to not sit for the exam.

4196 karma

@Victoria14 said:
    I'm gonna be the grim reaper here but ... The last day you can post pone was the 22nd. You will just have to not sit for the exam.

Are you sure? Unless they changed something, it's always been the fact that you can withdraw the night before the exam. I know said post pone, but if they haven't changed this, I don't think anyone would have to sit for the exam just because they can't post pone. :P

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

@TheMikey said:

@Victoria14 said:

Are you sure? Unless they changed something, it's always been the fact that you can withdraw the night before the exam. I know said post pone, but if they haven't changed this, I don't think anyone would have to sit for the exam just because they can't post pone. :P

Ah, I misread. Yes you can still withdraw, but you can't get your money back and/or change your seat to the December date. You can pay again to apply to a new date but that's it at this point.

4196 karma

@Victoria14 said:

@TheMikey said:

@Victoria14 said:

Ah, I misread. Yes you can still withdraw, but you can't get your money back and/or change your seat to the December date. You can pay again to apply to a new date but that's it at this point.

yeah, true :)

3679 karma

@celina697 said:

@tringo335 said:

Lol I could be wrong, but I'm getting the slight inclination that it is a better idea to postpone. Thanks for your input!! I was nervous to post to this forum because everyone seems so much further ahead of me but everyone has been very nice and helpful :smile:

I felt the same when I first started but the community is so welcoming and helpful I love it. :)

123 karma

@Victoria14 said:

Oh yeah, I knew about that going in. Not fun to throw money away, it probably would have benefitted me to come to this conclusion a bit sooner!

• nevadacity37nevadacity37 Free Trial Member
    163 karma

To note, another option is to take the test in September and cancel your score (especially if you cannot withdrawal from the test at this point). You have already paid the money... While perhaps not ideal, it is a valuable experience to take the test under test day conditions; you will be well-prepared and seasoned when the December test comes. Also to note, I cancelled my first test score. When I took the LSAT a second time I had waaay less jitters because I had "been there and done that" kind of mentality. I have been speaking with various admissions officers at T20 law schools, and not one has said they care about a cancellation (I asked this question specifically). Of course, if you cancelled multiple times, that might raise a flag. Just an idea! Best of luck in your studies, you'll get there!

• kjsmith914kjsmith914 Alum Member
    226 karma

don't withdraw! they only consider your highest score, and taking the test under real conditions will be invaluable for when you feel very prepared in December. idk why everyone else is telling you to postpone; that's basically throwing $180 for nothing. just take the test, and if you feel REALLY bad about it, cancel the score.

• plantbaseddiyaplantbaseddiya Alum Member
    83 karma

I agree with @kjsmith914... Take the test. Even if you score closely around your goal score, it is worthwhile to have that experience AND score in your back pocket before then retaking/deciding to retake it. You can always take it again in December, and who knows maybe you'll even score above your goal between now and then. Also to consider is when you want to apply- Whether Sept or December. If it is this fall... that means your two takes would only be Sept/December (February is kind of late for a lot of schools and not recommended.) So if you only chances to take the LSAT are Sept and Dec- you may as well take them. If you're applying next year and there's not rush, then yes, you can postpone and take it whenever or take it and retake even next year in 2018.

• doyeradoyera Alum Member
    47 karma

@celina697 I'm in exactly the same boat as you...and after reading this thread I'm still not sure what to do. I like the idea of getting to experience the test day conditions...and I'm not going to be applying to Yale or anything...so maybe it doesn't make as much a difference for me to have one okay score and one even better score in december?

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

@doyera I'm literally in the same situation, too! I'm still studying/preparing like I'm taking the September test...but I just don't know if I should go through with it. If I do just take it in December, I hope that even though I applied later in the cycle, my higher LSAT score won't hurt me in the rolling applications.

• rheannemarheannema Alum Member
    3 karma

Can someone explain to me why they think postponing this exam is better than taking it?
    I am in a similar situation but was planning on taking the exam anyway. Besides scholarships, why would postponing be better?

3679 karma

@rheannema said:
    Can someone explain to me why they think postponing this exam is better than taking it?
    I am in a similar situation but was planning on taking the exam anyway. Besides scholarships, why would postponing be better?

Depending on where you apply, some admin reps look poorly on multiple tries. If you're not PTing around your goal score, it's bed to wait.