Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not sure whether to take February or June LSAT

abernardiabernardi Alum Member
in General 12 karma

Hi All,

As the title states, I'm torn on whether or not to take the February or June LSAT. I'm out of undergrad and working full time, planning on applying to schools in 2018-19 and enrolling Fall '19.

That said, I've been studying a decent amount (comparable to a light jog) for the past few weeks with the idea of ramping up to a full sprint for about 3-4 months.

I've taken a blind diagnostic and got a 150, and then took a prep test after studying for a few weeks and got a 155.

Any insight on when to take the test would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I think you shouldn't even worry about a test date yet. Just study. Come December see how you feel about the test and then start to make a decision. This test is a beast, it takes people (like me) a year to get to where they want to be (im still not even there). See how you do with the material first, then worry about a date.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

Start fool proofing games. Work on the foundations of the test, like the truly deep underlying foundations of logic and critical readings/analysis.

Do that for 6-10 weeks and see where you're at.

My only bit of advice is to make sure you take at least the June test. I think there's a huge advantage to getting a score before the summer is up so that you can fully focus on the rest of the application. I was hitting my target score by June but didn't feel 100% ready, so I delayed until September. I think I should have just taken the test in June. September can serve as a fine back up.

• Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
    877 karma

I agree with @LSATcantwin. I have pushed back my LSAT date many times (mentally, like 4 times. I actually only pushed it back after registering once). I started out in almost your exact scenario-- my cold diagnostic (no training) was a 151 and my diagnostic after PowerScore was a 156. One year later, my score has increased (from my cold diagnostic) by 18-23 points. For me, that took a little over a year to achieve (I am working full time as well).

It all depends on your goals and how much time you can give to it now. Because I work full time, I was not able to study around the clock like many of the people here are. If you have time, then you might be able to swing it by February. But if you're working full time (assuming you generally can't study while it's slow at work), then June seems more realistic based on my personal results. I myself registered for this past June test and then pushed it until September.

Everyone is different though. The best advice I can give you is to keep going, even when you get discouraged. Low scores and wrong answer choices are a part of the process. Don't be afraid to postpone your test for as long as you need. You many even find yourself waiting until September or December if you discover you could use the extra time.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@abernardi said:
    Hi All,

As the title states, I'm torn on whether or not to take the February or June LSAT. I'm out of undergrad and working full time, planning on applying to schools in 2018-19 and enrolling Fall '19.

That said, I've been studying a decent amount (comparable to a light jog) for the past few weeks with the idea of ramping up to a full sprint for about 3-4 months.

I've taken a blind diagnostic and got a 150, and then took a prep test after studying for a few weeks and got a 155.

Any insight on when to take the test would be greatly appreciated!

Nice improvement thus far!

I agree with the posts above that you should focus first and foremost on your prep and improving. It's nearly impossible to determine ahead of time how long it will take to reach a certain score.

If you're planning on applying next cycle, I think setting June as a tentative date may be best for now. No need to rush and take it in February if you're going to have more time to improve. Also, February tests are undisclosed which means you won't be able to see your score breakdown. So if you need to retake you won't know where you missed the most points.

Good luck!

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

There is a strong belief among the 7Sage community that you take when ready instead of setting a date. I love this because it takes the stress and pressure out of feeling inadequate or that you should be further along. I too am on the same time frame as you - to apply for the 2018-2019 round and have decided to just study consistently for now with the caveat of giving myself goal posts:

November: Completion of the CC/Begin PTing
    January: Take a pulse of how I'm PTing, if scores are where I want then take Feb test
    March-May: If skipped Feb. Testing, aim to take in June

June is kind of my end all be all, but it has been helpful to give myself markers to keep myself on track. Sometimes when the goal is so far out, you start giving yourself excuses or lose your momentum. So all of that said, you can aim for February to keep yourself on track but be flexible if you're not ready and take in June.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Yeah, just study and see where you are by the time an administration rolls around.

I would like to say though, February should not be your first take. It's non-disclosed so you won't get anything except your score and percentile. This sucks if you need to retake as you won't have that test to look over. June is a better administration, but you have to be ready too!

• jberger295jberger295 Free Trial Member
    76 karma

It's all relative! Study hard and see where you are when decision time comes. It took me just the last two months of studying to jump into the low 170s! You can do it, and it doesn't take forever!