Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Breaking the curve...167ish average to 170+

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
in General 13286 karma

Good morning 7Sage, I am back - as always - to ask some advice from everyone. Let me start by showing a break down of my last 5 PT's numbers.

PT C2: -6 RC, -7 LR, -1LG 166
PT 76: -6 RC, -7 LR, -1LG 169
PT 74: -9 RC, -6 LR, -1LG 167
PT 81: -4 RC, -12 LR, -2 LG 164 (wtf happened here..)
PT 66: -7 RC, -4 LR, -1 LG 169

Average: 167

Okay. This is where I am at currently.

1.) LR needs work. I miss Flaw and harder NA questions fairly often. In-between PT 81 and 66 I went back and reviewed ALL the fundamental basics for each LR question type. I was able to bring the score from -12 total to -4. What happened here? Why was a basic review necessary? How do I retain that level of LR proficiency so I don't lose it again? Prior to my review of the basics I completely forgot how to do MSS questions.

2.) LG - I don't know how the LSAC does it, but that one point is sloppy. I just can't get rid of it though. It follows me around like a lost puppy. It can be any type of question but typically it's;

• "What is a complete list of ABC that can go on Y."

or a "could be true" where I don't accurately read the question.

3.) RC - I have good days and I have bad days. I average a -6 in this section. The biggest thing here is I still don't feel like I have a solid strategy. I know this is the hardest section to improve, but I hate feeling like I am winging it. I have now done some of the RC portion of 7Sage and read more in the Trainer/Bible. I have found reading for structure helps a lot, but I still struggle with inferences. I just don't have the right mindset for what can be inferred from the passages.

I'm sorry this post is super personalized but this community is the only one I trust for advice. I need opinions on what people think is going on. I'm at the brink of pushing into the 170's and on a REALLY good day I can break it. I've scored as high as a 175 before. I'm just stuck at this final plateau and can't seem to budge!

Comments

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    edited August 2017 1084 karma

Have you listened to this webinar?
    https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

I found it useful for different tips on ways to approach prep at different stages.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

What about a couple of RC tutoring sessions. Maybe that can shave off some points from the section that (aside from the outlier of PT 81) is giving you by far the most trouble.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@uhinberg said:
    What about a couple of RC tutoring sessions. Maybe that can shave off some points from the section that (aside from the outlier of PT 81) is giving you by far the most trouble.

I thought about that. RC just feels so loose to me. It would be nice to hammer it down a bit. I currently have been working with a tutor on timing and LR. He's been extremely helpful. I'll have to look into RC.

13286 karma

@"vanessa fisher" said:

I found it useful for different tips on ways to approach prep at different stages.

I'll listen to it on the ride home from work today. Thanks for the link!

• Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
    877 karma

@"Cant Get Right" is great if you're looking for a couple RC tutor sessions! His tips really helped me improve on RC, just when I was convinced that it was nearly impossible for me to improve.

13286 karma

@bswise2 said:
    @"Cant Get Right" is great if you're looking for a couple RC tutor sessions! His tips really helped me improve on RC, just when I was convinced that it was nearly impossible for me to improve.

He's the one that's been helping me out with LR haha. He's awesome, but I think he's taking the Sept test. He might be swamped right now!

• septemberseptember Alum Member
    163 karma

@LSATcantwin I am at the same place you are with LR, and while I don't specific question types that get me, I do tend to make the same type of mistakes on harder questions. I think it might be helpful to look at the questions you missed and categorize what kind of mistake you made on them. Did you miss an important detail? Did you get the conditionality wrong? Look at your reasoning for how you got to the wrong answer and compare it to JY's reasoning. Find the difference and record it.

For RC inferences, I think it might be easier to work from wrong to right, if you are not doing that already. If you are doing it, I would suggest categorizing your mistakes again. There's probably a good chance you're making the same kind of mistakes over multiple inference questions. Hope that helps.

13286 karma

@september said:
    @LSATcantwin I am at the same place you are with LR, and while I don't specific question types that get me, I do tend to make the same type of mistakes on harder questions. I think it might be helpful to look at the questions you missed and categorize what kind of mistake you made on them. Did you miss an important detail? Did you get the conditionality wrong? Look at your reasoning for how you got to the wrong answer and compare it to JY's reasoning. Find the difference and record it.

For RC inferences, I think it might be easier to work from wrong to right, if you are not doing that already. If you are doing it, I would suggest categorizing your mistakes again. There's probably a good chance you're making the same kind of mistakes over multiple inference questions. Hope that helps.

I will go back over the last 5 or so tests and try and look for any commonality in both LR and RC. Thank you!!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"vanessa fisher" said:

I agree!
    This has been the single most helpful webinar I've watched to date. If you have the time @LSATcantwin and haven't already, it's worth the watch! :)

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma

I am in a similar boat so idk what to say but I did want to say congrats on the PT81 RC! That's impressive

13286 karma

@"Alex Divine" I am going to check it out on the way home today!!

@RafaelBernard I don't know wtf happened on that test lol. RC just clicked and then LR went to poop. I haven't scored that bad on LR in a LONG time.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited August 2017 27822 karma

@bswise2 said:

@LSATcantwin said:
    He's the one that's been helping me out with LR haha. He's awesome, but I think he's taking the Sept test. He might be swamped right now!

Aww thanks guys! For the record, I am totally swamped, lol. So far behind on messages and emails and everything. Can't wait to put September behind me and get back to life. It's been fun studying though. Hadn't taken full length timed PTs in almost a year, but it seems like I've mostly still got it!

• RGiggi13RGiggi13 Alum Member
    36 karma

@LSATcantwin I'm scoring in a similar range as you (though usually my LG has been the bigger problem). One thing that helped with RC was taking a couple days to do several sections of it. It was painful, but my usual -7ish has been more like -4 on the last few tests. A (really) quick jog in the morning has also helped me get rid of some of the jitters and not mess up on the stuff that I know (not sure if that's happening to you at all.)

13286 karma

@RGiggi13 ill give this a shot. I admit I have spent far to little time on RC. I'll have to focus a bit on it and start getting a good wake up routine.

• joyrider8joyrider8 Alum Member
    52 karma

Broke out of my 167/168 range and got a 173 on PT 74 today. I'll try to be helpful after I blind review.

I think establishing a wake up routine over the past few weeks and drinking a triple shot of espresso this morning might have helped. Also JY and blind review and all that :)

Hoping this isn't just a fluke :neutral: