Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are South Americans considered URMs?

LauraC829LauraC829 Alum Member
edited August 2017 in Law School Admissions 218 karma

I've read through TLS/searched the web and can't seem to find a clear answer on this topic. I was born in Colombia and migrated to the U.S. at 8 yrs old. I'm a first-generation immigrant & first gen college student. Is it true that Mexican Americans and Puerto Ricans are the ONLY Hispanic groups considered as URMs? Seems rather strange given Latinos from different countries of origin experience the same immigrant experience. I know it's a touchy subject, but would like to know if I should expect somewhat of a boost or not at all.

Thank you!!

Comments

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

I think it depends on the school. Not sure that you can get schools to say straight out who they consider URM. The operative term over here is "underrepresented." If a student body from a certain country is not underrepresented, then regardless of the struggles experienced by people from that country, they will not be considered URM. There are quite a few minority groups whose ancestors struggled mightily, but since they are not underrepresented, they are not given any edge in admissions.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

Not positive on that, but if by any chance @Alejandro is still around, I'm sure a fellow Colombian who's been through all this would know.

Regardless of your status, you can still definitely write a diversity statement on that though, so make sure you make that a part of your app.

• Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma

I don't think so. I'm sure your experience can bring a distinctive perspective. You should def write a statement on it.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

No, South Americans like Colombians aren't considered traditional URMs. As an immigrant and first gen college student, you have a great story for a diversity statement that will serve as another way to convey your diversity.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

What Alex said is TCR.

Colombians are not considered URM. But yeah, what he said about a DS is true!

• nevadacity37nevadacity37 Free Trial Member
    163 karma

It might be advisable to contact the schools you are interested in and ask them directly. Should your heritage not be considered to qualify as a URM, from what you describe of your background, you do offer many diversity aspects to law schools. As such, it seems to me you have plenty of fodder for a diversity statement, which can add value - or provide a "boost" as you say - to your candidacy.

• gioaragon95gioaragon95 Alum Member
    edited August 2017 174 karma

I think what matters is how you (your applications) compares to the avg application of your cohort. Being that you are of Hispanic descent rather than believing that if you do or do not fall into the URM category, you won't or will get a "boost" I think is the wrong way to look at it and bit vague. I believe it's best to look at the stats of the avg Hispanic student (lsac score and UGPA) and see how these compare to your own. I believe that's where the "boost" in application comes (if your scores fall above the mean) within a certain underrepresented group.

https://www.lsac.org/search-results?action=results&num=10&site=Public_CMS&q=minorities&sort=date:D:S:d1

*Edited: ( The first PDF may offer some insight and answer some questions you have or add some new points of view of how to look at this circumstance).

I think context is everything when discussing this issue. It's not that simple saying Yes you are Mexican or no your not Mexican.

• LauraC829LauraC829 Alum Member
    218 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    Not positive on that, but if by any chance @Alejandro is still around, I'm sure a fellow Colombian who's been through all this would know.

Regardless of your status, you can still definitely write a diversity statement on that though, so make sure you make that a part of your app.

Thank you! Would love to hear from a fellow Colombian @Alejandro :smile:

• LauraC829LauraC829 Alum Member
    218 karma

@gioaragon95 said:
    I think what matters is how you (your applications) compares to the avg application of your cohort. Being that you are of Hispanic descent rather than believing that if you do or do not fall into the URM category, you won't or will get a "boost" I think is the wrong way to look at it and bit vague. I believe it's best to look at the stats of the avg Hispanic student (lsac score and UGPA) and see how these compare to your own. I believe that's where the "boost" in application comes (if your scores fall above the mean) within a certain underrepresented group.

https://www.lsac.org/search-results?action=results&num=10&site=Public_CMS&q=minorities&sort=date:D:S:d1

*Edited: ( The first PDF may offer some insight and answer some questions you have or add some new points of view of how to look at this circumstance).

I think context is everything when discussing this issue. It's not that simple saying Yes you are Mexican or no your not Mexican.

Gracias @gioaragon95! This does help me look at it from a different perspective, and I hope you are right that my stats would be compared to the average stats of the Hispanic student group. I was thinking that unless you are Mexican or PR, you would not be considered a Hispanic applicant since you would be checking off the "Other" box under "Hispanic" rather than the specific boxes made for only those two subgroups.

• AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma

@lc829-1 what's up! Yeah, I'm from Barranquilla and came to the U.S. for college. Don't really know if we are URMs technically to be honest, but the diversity and your story definitely help! I wouldn't think about it too much man, just put your best foot forward on your application, write a compelling story that only YOU can write, and you will be successful. Hope that helps :)

• SethDCorleySethDCorley Alum Member
    57 karma

I think as long as you're not a white Brazilian or Argentinian it works. Not positive though.