Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recording yourself while practicing.

navilsatnavilsat Alum Member
in General 96 karma

I cannot thank the 7sage community enough for the advice of recording oneself. I shot up 8 points after one session of recording myself. It is amazing how much time you can spend on a question without even realizing it, and how little time you can spend on an entire passage or game set-up. Timing is a huge deal and recording yourself is the way to go.

Thank you again 7sage!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

8 Points is nothing short of amazing! Congrats. If I had never started recording myself and taken the advice of all the wonderful sages on here, I think I'd still be stuck with no time to spare on LR or LG. Definitely a game changer.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

nice! I recently recorded myself on RC and thought it was somewhat helpful too! :)

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

Nice! Footage provides critical objectivity, and it's hard to imagine studying without it. Pros at all kinds of things do it--tennis players, musicians, surgeons, you name it. Thanks for sharing!

• bklsat05bklsat05 Member
    177 karma

@"Alex Divine" How do you do it?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@bklsat05 said:
    @"Alex Divine" How do you do it?

I used this BESTEK iPhone 7+ holder and just clipped in on my desk. Works perfectly!

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Gooseneck-Holder-iPhone-Galaxy/dp/B00G3ZI0UI

• bklsat05bklsat05 Member
    177 karma

Do we ever sleep? ha

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1JXNTT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered this from the other thread I found -- I felt it would clip stronger with my 7+

Also changed the setting on my iPhone to 720p (also now I know where to set 4K!)

I have 50GB on my phone, should be enough per PT.

• 1025 karma

@"Alex Divine" Definitely a game changer.

Punny xD

• 1025 karma

I tried it once, but there were so many things I needed to work on that timing was out of scope.
    After just one recording, I found myself yelling "FOUR MINUTES ON THIS QUESTION?!? MOVE ON OMG". It was really awesome. I can't wait until I am at the point where I can do it again.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@bklsat05 said:
    Do we ever sleep? ha

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1JXNTT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered this from the other thread I found -- I felt it would clip stronger with my 7+

Also changed the setting on my iPhone to 720p (also now I know where to set 4K!)

I have 50GB on my phone, should be enough per PT.

Sleep, lol ;)

Yeah 50 GB will be good. That phone holder looks interesting. Let me know how it works for you!

• CJF_2180CJF_2180 Alum Member
    106 karma

What is it that you look for when you're recording yourself? Is it just how long you're spending on each question? I'm not really sure what I'm looking for when I re-watch.

• shermankrsshermankrs Alum Member
    80 karma

How do you approach watching the playback of the video? I can't imagine that you are spending 2.5 hours just watching yourself take the test, on top of the BR, and the review of the test after BR. Do you specifically skip to areas of the video on questions you struggled with, or questions you marked (I use a star) that you spent a lot of time on?

Any insights or strategies on how you are actually reviewing the video is helpful! I work full time so I have to be smart about how I use my time to study and review.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@shermankrs said:
    How do you approach watching the playback of the video? I can't imagine that you are spending 2.5 hours just watching yourself take the test, on top of the BR, and the review of the test after BR. Do you specifically skip to areas of the video on questions you struggled with, or questions you marked (I use a star) that you spent a lot of time on?

Any insights or strategies on how you are actually reviewing the video is helpful! I work full time so I have to be smart about how I use my time to study and review.

I don't know what @navilsat does, but what some people (including myself) do is to make a timing sheet of a PT like this:
    https://imgur.com/YPQJDb9

For LG and RC, I actually fast forward the part I am reading the passage/making inferences.

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    609 karma

@akistotle

this is perfect use of the footage. I am not at that point yet of recording, but thanks for that.

• CJF_2180CJF_2180 Alum Member
    106 karma

A spreadsheet is a really good idea. Is the first pass what you learned from watching the video? I'm a little confused as to how that works. if you don't mind sharing, that is.

• Silvia_LSilvia_L Alum Member
    55 karma

Hey @akistotle
    I was watching J.Y.'s Live Commentary videos and thought of recording myself as well. But is it still necessary considering that we now have digital PTs, which automatically shows how much time we spend on each questions?

(Sometimes I got into a question, stuck there, and stop actively thinking because I don't know where to continue to think. That's when time flies by. That's one of the issues I am trying to solve by recording myself. )

@akistotle said:

@shermankrs said:

I don't know what @navilsat does, but what some people (including myself) do is to make a timing sheet of a PT like this:
    https://imgur.com/YPQJDb9

For LG and RC, I actually fast forward the part I am reading the passage/making inferences.