Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Almost done CC, drill or PT?

jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
in General 630 karma

Hey guys!

So I am almost done the CC, hopefully by the end of this week. I was just wondering how many of you have approached the next step in your studying? I have done most problem sets for the question types, however I have found myself struggling or not getting as many correct as I would like for some question types when it came to the three or four star questions. Is this common or is it just me and how did you guys over come this?

I plan to write in December and want to aim for the high 160s. I have not completed a PT yet (other than the diagnostic), but I intend on doing that once I am done the CC just to see if there's an improvement.

So basically, what I am trying to ask I guess is...

How have you started to PT after the CC?
What was your study schedule after completing the CC?
Did you do 3 preptests a week? with BR after each PT
or Drill as much as I can after the CC (too fool proof all sections) and then start PT's more frequently?
or drill along with doing 2 PT's a week?

My schedule is pretty flexible, but I just want to know what has worked for you guys!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

I would start by listening to @"Cant Get Right" s webinar on post CC stategies.
    Hes got some really great advice

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    609 karma

i started doing untimed drill sets 1-9. i started with Flaw, NA, SA, PSA, WEAKEN, MBT, MSS.

I can say it helps a lot to do them and completely understand what is going on with them. I basically study the entire question. I put all the questions in a word doc and break them down (the ones i was not 100% or got wrong).

I actually do a 1st pass with time constraints in mind, (like two minutes and pick) and then do a 2nd pass untimed. Been doing it consistently for the last 3 weeks and it feels good to string together streaks of correct answers when months ago i had no clue how to approach these questions.

I made pretty good gains in understanding with tougher Sufficient/Necessary conditional logic as well.

I try to tag anything with Cause / Effect; Sufficient/Necessary Conditional; or any questions i had trouble parsing through the logic, to save for another document so i can always return to see them.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

If you are intending to sit for the December test, then I recommend taking 2 old but fresh PTs; something between 35-50.

Generally speaking, I'd say the first step following the CC should always be LG fool proofing unless you are already -0. However, in your case, while you have time to improve, you may not have enough time based on your performance of this first PT. It took me 2 months to fool proof games and I am still only at -4. RC is learnable but typically takes the most time of any of the sections to make gains. So I recommend taking this PT, BRing it, and then reevaluating your timeline.

It may very well be that you are in a great position to reach your target score by December. But before taking a PT, you can't know where your weaknesses are or how severe they are and you can't build a study plan without that information.

• FirstOneFirstOne Core Member
    172 karma

Listen to the Post Curriculum Strategies webinar.

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

@nathanieljschwartz said:
    I would start by listening to @"Cant Get Right" s webinar on post CC stategies.
    Hes got some really great advice

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the webinar posts...

Could you send me a link by any chance?

630 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    If you are intending to sit for the December test, then I recommend taking 2 old but fresh PTs; something between 35-50.

Generally speaking, I'd say the first step following the CC should always be LG fool proofing unless you are already -0. However, in your case, while you have time to improve, you may not have enough time based on your performance of this first PT. It took me 2 months to fool proof games and I am still only at -4. RC is learnable but typically takes the most time of any of the sections to make gains. So I recommend taking this PT, BRing it, and then reevaluating your timeline.

It may very well be that you are in a great position to reach your target score by December. But before taking a PT, you can't know where your weaknesses are or how severe they are and you can't build a study plan without that information.

Thank you! Yes, I think I will definitely work on fool proofing LG right after finishing the CC and take a PT as well. I would say RC is my worst section right now....

630 karma

@MichaelTheArchAngel said:
    i started doing untimed drill sets 1-9. i started with Flaw, NA, SA, PSA, WEAKEN, MBT, MSS.

I can say it helps a lot to do them and completely understand what is going on with them. I basically study the entire question. I put all the questions in a word doc and break them down (the ones i was not 100% or got wrong).

I actually do a 1st pass with time constraints in mind, (like two minutes and pick) and then do a 2nd pass untimed. Been doing it consistently for the last 3 weeks and it feels good to string together streaks of correct answers when months ago i had no clue how to approach these questions.

I made pretty good gains in understanding with tougher Sufficient/Necessary conditional logic as well.

I try to tag anything with Cause / Effect; Sufficient/Necessary Conditional; or any questions i had trouble parsing through the logic, to save for another document so i can always return to see them.

Thank you for the great advice! Did you find yourself improving in the three and four star questions?

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    609 karma

@jennybbbbb said:

Yea the key for me was putting it altogether. Remembering referential phrasing sorting out conclusions, term shifts. Really reading the structure and understanding what the stem is asking. Because the question is equally important in what it is "exactly" asking you to adress. Also, before doing them just make sure to know the strategies for each type, like rewatch 7sage videos about them, or read up on other materials about how to do them.

Also dont get discouraged if you get some wrong. I take notes why I got them wrong. Like what made me pick that one from the correct one. I also notate if i could not understand it.

Then, when im on the bus, at night, or morning I have these pdfs of all the ones I got wrong.

These are explanations that i use as well they have 1-17

https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewforum.php?f=11
    https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/forums/logical-reasoning-f4.html

Good luck!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

Here's the link to that webinar @jennybbbbb . Hope it's helpful!

https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I would take PTs to begin to habituate yourself to timing. But after you do each PT, figure out which questions you had trouble with (BR) AND which questions took you a lot of time. If you see a pattern for a particular question type, drill that question type.

If you missed any questions on the games, replay those games (foolproof).

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

Do what the webinar says. @"Cant Get Right" has put a lot of very good thought into the practice of studying.