Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking the LSAT after graduation

stephy95182020stephy95182020 Alum Member
in General 38 karma

So I decided to wait till after graduation from college to officially start my law school journey. I pushed my LSAT back and then withdrew. I do still want to go to law school and definitely see it in my plans but timing does not feel right for me. It's my senior year and I've grown so much as a person, I want to graduate with no regrets. I have several leadership roles on campus, participating in different organizations, and taking the most advanced courses of my college career. I felt really determined to go to law school right after graduation but I underestimated how time consuming studying and applying can be with everything else I am doing. Is anyone else planning to do the same?

Comments

• smmiotkesmmiotke Alum Member
    15 karma

I thought that I wanted to go to law school right out of undergrad, took the September LSAT of my senior year(didn't do as well as I hoped), still applied, and then in April when I started to study for finals realized I was burnt out on school and needed a break. I completely regret getting stressed over that LSAT and applications, instead of taking full advantage of my senior year. If your hesitant at all about starting law school right away, I totally suggest taking time off, saving up some money for school and getting some experience in the mean time.
    I graduated last may, and having the break to work really reinstated in my mind how much I want to become a lawyer. I remember being in your situation and I wish someone had given me this advice, so I hope it helps :smile:

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

That is what I had to do too. I tried to study for the LSAT during undergrad and it just didn't jive with school and work. Nothing to be ashamed of. Once you're out of school, you can put the majority of your energy towards the LSAT without it affecting admission to law school (as many on here have told me).

It sucks seeing so many others being able to go right into law school out of undergrad (K-JD) and it does make you question whether or not you're good enough to go to law school. But please don't listen to those thoughts; I constantly have to battle those myself. No one is on the same path in life and just because you have to take a slightly longer route than others doesn't mean you are less qualified. There are plenty of us in this community that have taken the longer path and many of us are better for it. Do what is best for you and not anyone else.

Hope this encourages you. Enjoy your senior year and don't look back! Good luck!

• ChapmanECChapmanEC Alum Member
    85 karma

I wish I had made the decision to wait on law school before graduating. My senior year was quite stressful with the LSAT, personal statements, and applications looming overhead on top of everything else. I wasn't ready for the LSAT first-take, but felt like I had to take it to "stay on track." I had friends going straight in and felt like I had to keep up/get in right away because they were. Then I talked to a recent law school grad who went straight through and said he WISHED he had taken a year off before entering law school... He was one of the youngest in his JD class, didn't have much real-world work experience, and said that he feels he would have performed better his first year with a break from school beforehand. I made the decision to wait, work on the LSAT, and get a job rather than going to a school below my potential because of a less than ideal score. I don't regret sitting out. I graduated in December and have a full time job in a medical office (I plan on doing some sort of healthcare law) and have gained so much insight into the healthcare industry. In the grand scheme, 1 year isn't that long. You won't be behind or less perfect than anyone who goes K-JD. Do what's best for you - whether that's going straight in or waiting.

• stephy95182020stephy95182020 Alum Member
    38 karma

Wow thank you so much for this and everyone else who is showing so much support. Once I withdrew from the LSAT, I completely went MIA on here so I apologize for the late reply but reading everyone's comments has helped me reassure myself I am on the right path and to not doubt myself. Thank you!!! I will be back soon! :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2017 23929 karma

@stephy9518 said:
    So I decided to wait till after graduation from college to officially start my law school journey. I pushed my LSAT back and then withdrew. I do still want to go to law school and definitely see it in my plans but timing does not feel right for me. It's my senior year and I've grown so much as a person, I want to graduate with no regrets. I have several leadership roles on campus, participating in different organizations, and taking the most advanced courses of my college career. I felt really determined to go to law school right after graduation but I underestimated how time consuming studying and applying can be with everything else I am doing. Is anyone else planning to do the same?

I studied for about a week in spring of 2015 during my senior year. I had a job lined up, leadership positions, and wanted to keep my GPA as high as possible. All that to say, I think you are absolutely making the right decision. The LSAT takes an incredible amount of focus and time to do well on and your GPA is something that will be set in stone. You can always begin studying once you graduate. Also, I would recommend that anyone thinking about law school go out and get some real world experience. After working for 2+ years since graduating, I really feel so much more confident in the type of law I would like to pursue. I feel like having some work experience on my resume will also be a big help post-law school, as well.

Focus on your senior year for now. The LSAT and 7Sage will be here when you're ready.

• gkw5129gkw5129 Core Member
    3 karma

Does it look bad for law school admissions if you take a gap year for studying and self exploration/healing?