Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to start considering...

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage

So I am a weird bundle of splitter mess, I really want to start getting applications ready but I'm just not sure where I stand and where I can apply. While predictor websites are a good start they also don't take into account my story. I don't want to short change myself but I also don't want to reach so high as to be disappointed. So I'm here to ask for advice.

Notwithstanding my LSAT score this is what I look like so far...

• 2.7 cumulative GPA/4.0 Degree GPA - about a 4 year gap of time between the poor grades and the 4.0.

• Non-traditional applicant - Work experience between undergraduate and starting law school.

• Military service for 4 years (USMC) with 3 years of my post 9/11 GI bill left (Don't really need scholarship money).

• One year internship at a law firm.

• One year job with the federal courts.

• Letters of recommendation from one undergrad professor and the clerk of the federal court.

• Resume includes legal professionals as well as military members.

How would you even go about deciding on what schools will look favorably on this weird track record? I feel like it's almost 100% dependent on my LSAT score...so should I just wait tight for that?

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

With the exception of the cumulative GPA, you sound like a great candidate! So I think you're probably right that LSAT score is going to be a big decider for you.

I'm in a bit of a similar boat, not a splitter but won't have LSAT score until after December test so I'm going to have to get applications ready to go based on an estimate more or less, hah. For me, I'm kind of guessing where my LSAT score is going to be and making a strategy around that. I think I should be able to pull off mid 160s, so crunching numbers on mylsn with a few different scenarios to see what it would look like say if I got a 163 vs a 167 and then once my score comes in I could have a better idea of my odds.

I would do some research on TLS for splitter friendly schools, and also schools for non-traditional students. Schools that especially value prior work experience are probably going to be a good option. They should be more forgiving of a lower GPA, and would appreciate the internships and military service.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    With the exception of the cumulative GPA, you sound like a great candidate! So I think you're probably right that LSAT score is going to be a big decider for you.

I'm in a bit of a similar boat, not a splitter but won't have LSAT score until after December test so I'm going to have to get applications ready to go based on an estimate more or less, hah. For me, I'm kind of guessing where my LSAT score is going to be and making a strategy around that. I think I should be able to pull off mid 160s, so crunching numbers on mylsn with a few different scenarios to see what it would look like say if I got a 163 vs a 167 and then once my score comes in I could have a better idea of my odds.

I would do some research on TLS for splitter friendly schools, and also schools for non-traditional students. Schools that especially value prior work experience are probably going to be a good option. They should be more forgiving of a lower GPA, and would appreciate the internships and military service.

Yeah I've looked around! My biggest issue is I get caught up in dreams and fantasy but then don't even know what is realistic any more. Can I even do T-14? ahhh man...I wish I had my score!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I think with a 170+ LSAT score you would be a contender for the lower T14. I'll be honest, I think if I were someone in your shoes (non-traditional, great military softs, etc) I would hire @"David.Busis" to help you with your application package. I truly think when it comes to splitters and those who need a great application, it is worth all the money in the world to make sure you aren't selling yourself short. With a great app the possibilities are truly somewhat limitless.

I've also began to realize just how awesome a military soft is! It's probably one of the best softs one can have on their resume. You're truly going to have a great shot at plenty of great schools so long as your LSAT score and your application are as great as your softs.

13286 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    I think with a 170+ LSAT score you would be a contender for the lower T14. I'll be honest, I think if I were someone in your shoes (non-traditional, great military softs, etc) I would hire @"David.Busis" to help you with your application package. I truly think when it comes to splitters and those who need a great application, it is worth all the money in the world to make sure you aren't selling yourself short. With a great app the possibilities are truly somewhat limitless.

I've also began to realize just how awesome a military soft is! It's probably one of the best softs one can have on their resume. You're truly going to have a great shot at plenty of great schools so long as your LSAT score and your application are as great as your softs.

I hope so! Stupid JUDICIAL CANDOR is stomping on my dreams though haha...I might actually hire someone to help me out though. That is a good suggestion!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Leah M B" said:

Yeah I've looked around! My biggest issue is I get caught up in dreams and fantasy but then don't even know what is realistic any more. Can I even do T-14? ahhh man...I wish I had my score!

UGH I've been totally doing the same. And basically needing to apply before I'll know my score is terrifying. I think T-14 isn't out of the question if you nailed the LSAT! 170+ would make you competitive for sure.

I think Northwestern, UT and Georgetown out of T-14 could be possibilities if you crack 170. Otherwise, you'd probably be best applying to the best regional where you want to work.

Do you have specific goals for the long term? Either areas you want to live, or type of law you're interested in?

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Idk what to input but thank you for your service :)

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

Being military and not really needing scholarship money (especially that second part) will make you very desirable. Remember that the stats at a school don't represent every student. With even a decently high LSAT (mid to high 160s), you probably have a shot at almost anywhere. Because they use median gpa/LSAT to rank with, you being only one small hit to their gpa total can easily be offset by one higher than normal gpa (if it were an average, then you might be harder to work in, but median makes it easy). Dream big sir.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

UVA is a guarantee if you crack 170 and apply ED. Maybe not guarantee but they seem to always take people with similar stats ED. Which is good for 9/11 bill applicants since this will result in no scholarship. Otherwise I think it's reasonable to apply for Duke, Mich, NU, UT, GT, Cornell, and maybe penn if you're feeling ballsy. I don't know your financial situation but if money isn't an issue I might even apply to everywhere besides Yale and Berkeley honestly. You never know when a Hail Mary with unique softs like yours will catch the eye of someone at Harvard or Stanford. Just get your essays done for everywhere before hand so you're ready to pull the trigger and apply. If you get the lsat score you want I'm confident you'll get at least 1 t14 admission. Don't short change yourself

• Trust But VerifyTrust But Verify Alum Member
    432 karma

Thanks for your service.

13286 karma

@"Paul Caint" @"Trust But Verify" thanks guys!

@Mitchell-1 good to hear! I guess I'll just sling as many applications around as I can and make sure I really focus on addendum's and my personal statement.

@Mellow_Z haha after that test I'll be lucky to get above 165...I really want to apply to some good schools. Today I went to a law school fair and UCLA and Standford did not seem impressed....haha

• cbyrns21cbyrns21 Free Trial Member
    160 karma

Veteran to Veteran (medically retired Air Force), I HIGHLY recommend checking out Services2Schools. They are a non-profit dedicated to helping and mentoring veterans applying to graduate school. You have to at least score a 150 on the LSAT to qualify, but it's all free. These guys have an amazing track record (graduating from Yale, Harvard, Stanford, etc). Check it out. I'm using them once I know what I scored on the LSAT in October.

https://service2school.org

13286 karma

@cbyrns21 said:
    Veteran to Veteran (medically retired Air Force), I HIGHLY recommend checking out Services2Schools. They are a non-profit dedicated to helping and mentoring veterans applying to graduate school. You have to at least score a 150 on the LSAT to qualify, but it's all free. These guys have an amazing track record (graduating from Yale, Harvard, Stanford, etc). Check it out. I'm using them once I know what I scored on the LSAT in October.

Wow good to know, I will look into this thank you!

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    903 karma

@cbyrns21 said:

Thank you so much for that info!!

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    903 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    So I am a weird bundle of splitter mess, I really want to start getting applications ready but I'm just not sure where I stand and where I can apply. While predictor websites are a good start they also don't take into account my story. I don't want to short change myself but I also don't want to reach so high as to be disappointed. So I'm here to ask for advice.

• 2.7 cumulative GPA/4.0 Degree GPA - about a 4 year gap of time between the poor grades and the 4.0.

• Non-traditional applicant - Work experience between undergraduate and starting law school.

• Military service for 4 years (USMC) with 3 years of my post 9/11 GI bill left (Don't really need scholarship money).

• Letters of recommendation from one undergrad professor and the clerk of the federal court.

How would you even go about deciding on what schools will look favorably on this weird track record? I feel like it's almost 100% dependent on my LSAT score...so should I just wait tight for that?

I'm in the exact same boat. Low GPA due to major mistakes after Iraq and the USMC. I'm dependent on a 165+. I really hope law schools look favorably on military service.

13286 karma

@"Paul Pederson" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

I'm in the exact same boat. Low GPA due to major mistakes after Iraq and the USMC. I'm dependent on a 165+. I really hope law schools look favorably on military service.

It's absolutely killer man. It sucks having to fight your past, when you have clearly demonstrated that you are no longer that person. I mean my degree GPA after the Marines is a 4.0 and I'm hoping my LSAT is also 165+....I wish I had never crippled myself so badly!

• cbyrns21cbyrns21 Free Trial Member
    edited September 2017 160 karma

@"Paul Pederson" @LSATcantwin I completely understand and empathize with how your past dulls your overall application. My GPA 10 years ago is really REALLY going to hurt me. I'm hoping my military service and experience within that will bump me up. One can only hope!
    I once read that your personal statement, if well written, can be your saving grace! I've been prepping my P.S. for over a year now!

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@cbyrns21 said:

Thank you! I will check them out too!