Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Full time job+Study schedule? How do you do it?

CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member
in General 295 karma

Hey guys,

So I work full time and I've just upgraded to the Ultimate + Package woohoo! Now, I made my study schedule so that it would end on February 7th a couple days before the LSAT. The way the schedule is set up I study 40.5 hours of material each week. I even find myself studying during lunch. I wish there was a way to alter it so it would cater to my full time work schedule. But anyway, how do you guys manage?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited September 2017 23929 karma

@CurlyQQQ said:
    Hey guys,

So I work full time and I've just upgraded to the Ultimate + Package woohoo! Now, I made my study schedule so that it would end on February 7th a couple days before the LSAT. The way the schedule is set up I study 40.5 hours of material each week. I even find myself studying during lunch. I wish there was a way to alter it so it would cater to my full time work schedule. But anyway, how do you guys manage?

Early mornings and late nights, to be honest. I also utilize my lunch break to make sure I do some games as well. The biggest secret has just been consistency. I make sure no matter what that I try to prep 2 hours a day and 8 hours on Saturday. 2 hours during the week days doesn't seem like much, but it's just a minimum. And I know it's something that definitely isusually doable for me.

It may be that you need to expand your time horizon a bit. If you're working full time, 40 hours a week is probably a bit too much. You may need to adjust your schedule to June/September if you want to have enough time to actually complete everything without rushing. And you don't want to be rushing through the CC because you'll just end up not learning as much as you could and need to eventually go back anyway.

• CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member
    295 karma

I was thinking about postponing it. I already signed up for February though. The CC so far hasn't been horrible. I study for 3-4 hours during weekdays (Thursday is my break) And the weekends are when I study for 6-7 hours each day. Thanks for the input!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@CurlyQQQ said:
    I was thinking about postponing it. I already signed up for February though. The CC so far hasn't been horrible. I study for 3-4 hours during weekdays (Thursday is my break) And the weekends are when I study for 6-7 hours each day. Thanks for the input!

Just because you're signed up for February doesn't mean you have to take it in Feb. You can always withdraw. Focus on aiming for whatever score you need to get into your dream school and let that dictate when you take it.

• kventokvento Alum Member
    86 karma

Hi @CurlyQQQ, I do something similar to @"Alex Divine" .. Luckily, I do not have to be at my office until 10am, so I wake up around 7am, read the paper for 30 minutes or so (something to get my brain going lol), and then begin a two-hour study from 730-930, leaving me around 30 minutes to get ready and drive to work. After work, I regroup and relax over dinner, then begin another 2/3 hour study from 8-11pm. Of course on the weekends I pack as much study in as I can, but during the weekday this has been my routine. You'll be surprised how you can utilize an hour or two here and there. It adds up!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

The study scheduler simply tells you how the material has to be distributed in order to complete it during the timeline you set. To complete it, that distribution is necessary regardless of how much else you have going on. I remember when I first started with 7Sage, I thought I was going to take the upcoming test. The scheduler very politely suggested I was being unrealistic, but provided the schedule anyway. It was like 70 hours a week, and I was already working 60-70 hours a week, lol. Very unrealistic, but simply the rate at which I'd have to work to complete everything.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@CurlyQQQ said:

lol as soon as I read your post, I thought 'she should think about postponing' lol. I work full time and only study about 2 hours a day. (30 minutes in the morning and the rest at night with some time during lunch if I'm feeling adventurous) Couldn't imagine doing more without burnout. I'm sitting for the June 2018 test so I feel I have enough time with my study schedule but as the year wraps up I get more and more nervous. Regardless slow and steady wins the race so I'm going to stick with what I do for now and adjust as needed.

295 karma

@"Alex Divine" I thought I'd take it anyway since I got a waiver. But I think June is sounding way more logical.

295 karma

@tringo335 Haha yeah I completely agree. I initially wanted to take the February simply because I started studying in Feb, but then I made a big move and it derailed a lot of study time I was initially going to put in. June sounds like a better option.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@CurlyQQQ said:
    @tringo335 Haha yeah I completely agree. I initially wanted to take the February simply because I started studying in Feb, but then I made a big move and it derailed a lot of study time I was initially going to put in. June sounds like a better option.

I completely understand. I've been studying off and on for a while too with derailments. Been going really strong since April when I signed up for 7 Sage.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

You guys are making me feel much better about my study habits! haha. I've been doing the same, about 2 hours or so on weekdays, mostly in the evenings. I feel like I should be doing more, but sounds like I am in good company! I've been studying since about February or March and was planning on taking in June, then realized I was a crazy person hahaha. Pushed back to Sept, and then pushed back again. Definitely not ideal to be taking it in December and applying this cycle, but it is a lot to try to get in the studying around a full time job. I definitely have to fight fatigue and brain burn out more than anything. You can only use your brain so many hours in the day. And sometimes I have to just give myself a full evening or weekend day off and spend time with friends, to fight the burn out and isolation of solitary studying.

That said, OP - I think you're really going to want to push back to at least June if not September. It is standard advice, you should take the LSAT only when you're ready. For me, that meant December, when I was originally planning June.

• dncdrc_04dncdrc_04 Alum Member
    152 karma

I work full time and my commute to work is over one hour each way. I study mostly on weekends and sometimes at night on weekdays. It's awful, painful and sometimes I am not even sure I am processing the material. Case in point, I get most of my studying done on weekends.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

@CurlyQQQ said:
    @"Alex Divine" I thought I'd take it anyway since I got a waiver. But I think June is sounding way more logical.

I think you should be thinking more about how a potentially non-representative score will look on applications rather than the money sunk into a test. I would say If your plan to apply for 2019 there is no harm postponing your first test until June 2018, especially if it yields adequate time to study and get a score you deserve!

295 karma

Best support system ever!!! As you can tell by my lack of response I too had to take the weekend off after 40hours of studying which I am cutting back by the way.