Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weird Personal Statement topic

Hey everyone,

So i'm in an odd position for my PS. For the a long time I was thoroughly committed to writing about some family issues that shaped me in to the person i've become, but i've attempted writing about 18 drafts at this point. None of them felt genuine and all encompassing. Every single one had an issue. Too dramatic, too cold, what's the point? Sort of problems if you seem what I mean.

Well today, I had an interesting moment where I decided to write on a topic that's totally off the wall. I wrote an entire draft (in under an hour, while I sat in class) on finding a three week old kitten.

If any of you guys remember, I had "study cat" as my LSAT study buddy. I found him when he was three weeks old and raising him as one of the hardest things i've ever done. I've never thought more about quitting something in my life, and today I have one of the sweetest, well - mannered and healthy kittens numerous vets have ever met. So well i've been approached to help foster other orphaned kittens.

This topic encompassed everything I wanted to show case about my character and how I see the world. But it's literally kittens. Like i'm considering writing a piece about kittens to send to the world's biggest shark tank - A law school admissions board.

Am I insane?

Help!

Comments

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

oh my gosh i know nothing about good personal statements but that sounds AMAZING! I LOVE IT!

• sneakymurphsneakymurph Member
    56 karma

I think as long as it's authentic, it's good. Can you encompass all with the kittens that you wanted to with the family stuff?

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

@sneakymurph said:
    I think as long as it's authentic, it's good. Can you encompass all with the kittens that you wanted to with the family stuff?

I actually feel like I can encompass more in such a strange way.

• dml277dml277 Alum Member
    775 karma

This sounds like a very intriguing essay! Now I really want to hear more about your stories with the kitten!

I think writing about kittens is fine as long as the PS shows who you are.

776 karma

@tringo335 said:
    oh my gosh i know nothing about good personal statements but that sounds AMAZING! I LOVE IT!

Thank you so much! Check your inbox!!!

776 karma

@dml277 said:
    This sounds like a very intriguing essay! Now I really want to hear more about your stories with the kitten!

I think writing about kittens is fine as long as the PS shows who you are.

Thank you so much! Please check your inbox!

• CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member
    edited September 2017 295 karma

Love it!! That is truly what encompasses a unique and enticing PS. You could definitely talk about your family angle in an addendum.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited September 2017 13286 karma

That sounds Purrrrrfect. As long as you're honest and aren't kitten anyone with jokes; it should really claw at the admissions officers attention. It's a pawsome idea!

http://theawesomedaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/cat-puns-6-1.jpg

Sorry...I couldn't stop myself...also if you can think of a spare personal statement topic for me to use that would also be pawsome!

776 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    That sounds Purrrrrfect. As long as your honest and aren't kitten anyone with jokes; it should really claw at the admissions officers attention. It's a pawsome idea!

http://theawesomedaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/cat-puns-6-1.jpg

Sorry...I couldn't stop myself...also if you can think of a spare personal statement topic for me to use that would also be pawsome!

I genuinely love you.

Also, I am 2 for 2 on helping other people find personal statement topics so... let me know if you want someone to throw RANDOM ideas at you!

776 karma

@CurlyQQQ said:
    Love it!! That is truly what encompasses a unique and enticing PS. You could definitely talk about your family angle in an addendum.

I hadn’t thought of that yet!!!

• StellaBlueStellaBlue Alum Member
    185 karma

I'm no expert, but this sounds like a dope essay! Something I've been struggling with during applications as a ~young woman~ is worrying about whether I am coming across as soft, overly feminine, not serious enough. And then I get mad at myself for feeling that way, because it's stupid and has no bearing on whether or not I can practice law.

You're obviously a boss. If you wanna write an amazing essay about kittens, I salute you. After all, I ended up mentioning chocolate milk and happy tears in mine. You got this!

• tannyrmptannyrmp Alum Member
    30 karma

At Texas Law day yesterday (UT) the admissions Dean said specifically that it's totally fine to write about pets - as long as you keep the focus obviously about you. So go for it!

• sophie74sophie74 Free Trial Member
    373 karma

This is SUCH a good idea because your passion came through so much in just this post that I know it will come through in your PS! And that is what it is all about--the admissions officers reading it, getting a sense of who you are and trying to figure out if you'd be an asset in their cohort. Doooooooooo ittttttttttttt.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Yeah just to echo others as long as you're the main focus of the essay and not the kitten you're golden

• lsat 1101lsat 1101 Alum Member
    267 karma

I love this, it's unique and can really give a great look into your character/strengths useful to law. Don't forgot to give a preview how it will be linked to law school and your life story in the beginning, so they will stay onboard and take you seriously as you deserve to be, your story deserves to be heard. Hope that makes sense i'm sure you've already got something planned out for the draft!