Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A fourth take?

BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
in General 553 karma

Hey guys. So I just got my score, hit a 169 I'm pissed I missed one extra question and a 170 :/ but also ecstatic. My scores have been a 157, 159, 169. My GPA is 3.25.

I want in at UCI, which I think I'm golden for. I also want USC which I'm sure I have a higher chance of not getting accepted...right? Is USC an option at this point?

Thanks

Comments

• sdsd1818sdsd1818 Alum Member
    97 karma

Can't offer any insight regarding your chances, but congratulations on the major score increase! I'm also aiming for CA schools :)

• Michael MaMichael Ma Alum Member
    186 karma

Wow that is terrific score increase! Do you mind me asking what you did differently between your 2 and 3 tries? A 10 point increase is huge!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

You still have a shot at USC. Congrats on the awesome score improvement!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Plugged your numbers into MyLSN and it looks like you have a shot at USC, but might be tough. Here's a link: http://mylsn.info/dwf3qj/

They put your shot at USC at 55%, but looks like everyone who got in received scholarship, so that's nice. Looks like similar if not slightly better chances even at UCLA, if you're interested there.

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    edited October 2017 553 karma

The tough choice here is whether or not I apply super early with this and less competition or apply later, risk not doing better or even doing a little better but not enough to outweigh the competitive disadvantage of not applying like now.

And Michael, I didn't do anything majorly different except I had more time to study.

A. I studied with a friend this last take

B. I studied RC and LR more thoroughly.

C. I spent less hours daily studying so it was more of a 3 hour thing where I did more in depth studying.

My first two takes I totally spazzed out, misread things and spent too much time on questions. This last take I misread a rule for a whole game but I got lucky it was experimental !

And of course, you guys are great. Thanks for all the help you've given along the way I can't believe I nearly forgot to say it.

Motivation guys, get pissed off and don't stop.

553 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Plugged your numbers into MyLSN and it looks like you have a shot at USC, but might be tough. Here's a link: http://mylsn.info/dwf3qj/

They put your shot at USC at 55%, but looks like everyone who got in received scholarship, so that's nice. Looks like similar if not slightly better chances even at UCLA, if you're interested there.

Oh you're the best, I didn't know you could do that ! Thank you

• BroccoliBroccoli Core Member
    352 karma

I wish I have 169...

• EvetteCeeEvetteCee Alum Member
    224 karma

I agree! You def still have a shot at USC! A 169 is past their 75 percentile, you just have to make sure all your essays, recommendation letters and resume are spot on.

Congratulations on that huge improvement! I'm so excited for you :)

553 karma

@"Bay Area" said:
    I agree! You def still have a shot at USC! A 169 is past their 75 percentile, you just have to make sure all your essays, recommendation letters and resume are spot on.

Thank you for the encouraging words.

My resume isn't law related though. I have my own online business that I talk about. I mentioned it in an addendum to my GPA as its my income source for college and it has taken time away from studies and I try to highlight it in my application and what I've learned in the process.

Is this a good idea or does it seem like just another excuse?

Thank you.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

I just talked to Dave K about this Thursday 4 is fine and you only need to really explain things at 6

Many people don't realize but it was fairly easy to get 4 takes in 2 years. Until a few years ago you just needed a "school sponsor" and then after LSAC shut down that loophole you just had to write the LSAC and ask for a waiver. Plus many took a 4th after 2 years was up. Now with "unlimited" takes schools anticipate more than 4 takes. Dave said "6 is when an addenda will be needed"

Just make sure you'll score in the 170s.

• EvetteCeeEvetteCee Alum Member
    224 karma

@Kewlaidd said:

@"Bay Area" said:

Thank you for the encouraging words.

My resume isn't law related though. I have my own online business that I talk about. I mentioned it in an addendum to my GPA as its my income source for college and it has taken time away from studies and I try to highlight it in my application and what I've learned in the process.

Is this a good idea or does it seem like just another excuse?

Thank you.

Well your resume doesn't have to be law related. It should highlight your academics, work experience, volunteer experience etc etc. I think it's a valid reason for your GPA addendum, because you can explain why you had less time to study than your peers and it also emphasizes your dedication.

553 karma

Gosh I asked this on TLS and they're making it sound like if I don't make it above a 170 I'm going to be cleaning toilets.

So should I just apply now or retake December :/ sorry I keep asking I just don't know what to do

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

@Kewlaidd said:
    Gosh I asked this on TLS and they're making it sound like if I don't make it above a 170 I'm going to be cleaning toilets.

So should I just apply now or retake December :/ sorry I keep asking I just don't know what to do

TLS is a little intense sometimes :grimace:

Are your applications ready to go? If they are and you feel they are strong, you could always apply and then take and December as well. Ask them to hold off on making a decision until you December score is in. I guess you could also say though, what is the point of this as some schools may just put your app into a hold pile and not look at it at all until your new score is in.

Also, do you feel committed to continue studying? It would be a bummer to retake December and then get a lower score, but also probably not the end of the world.

I would say if you feel like you can make the 170+ score, then retake in December.

553 karma

@LindsMitch said:

@Kewlaidd said:

Are your applications ready to go? If they are and you feel they are strong, you could always apply and then take and December as well. Ask them to hold off on making a decision until you December score is in. I guess you could also say though, what is the point of this as some schools may just put your app into a hold pile and not look at it at all until your new score is in.

Also, do you feel committed to continue studying? It would be a bummer to retake December and then get a lower score, but also probably not the end of the world.

I would say if you feel like you can make the 170+ score, then retake in December.

If it won't hurt to try and possibly not do better, then I see no reason not to. I guess what I'm asking is if I retake and don't do well/better, am I in a worse spot. I definitely know I can put my heart into it but there's just a chance that I might mess up and I'm trying to see if that's a gamble I can take.

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

@Kewlaidd said:

@LindsMitch said:

@Kewlaidd said:

If it won't hurt to try and possibly not do better, then I see no reason not to. I guess what I'm asking is if I retake and don't do well/better, am I in a worse spot. I definitely know I can put my heart into it but there's just a chance that I might mess up and I'm trying to see if that's a gamble I can take.

Hmmm well then that kind of sounds like the kind of thing that ultimately you will have to decide for yourself...which I know is the worst possible/most annoying answer haha. I know sometimes we just want a straight up yes or no answer to these kinds of questions... But when I've found myself in similar situations, if I'm really honest I normally find I'm already leaning towards one answer or the other and just am seeking some outside opinions to back me up.

Ask yourself if you had the app ready to go and submitted today with a 169, would you feel good about it? Or when December 2 rolls around, will you wistfully drive by your testing center and wish you were in there again?

While it may be a bit of a gamble, I think if you have prepared properly, then you should feel confident to bet on yourself! As I've been learning (and must continue reminding myself when I do poorly), there definitely is something to be said for the consistency of this test combined with proper prep. If you spend the next 7 weeks continuing to prep and get your PT average up to where you are consistently scoring around 170 (or a bit higher to mitigate risk), the odds of you scoring lower than a 169 do diminish.

I believe in you!

553 karma

@LindsMitch said:

@Kewlaidd said:

@LindsMitch said:

@Kewlaidd said:

Hmmm well then that kind of sounds like the kind of thing that ultimately you will have to decide for yourself...which I know is the worst possible/most annoying answer haha. I know sometimes we just want a straight up yes or no answer to these kinds of questions... But when I've found myself in similar situations, if I'm really honest I normally find I'm already leaning towards one answer or the other and just am seeking some outside opinions to back me up.

Ask yourself if you had the app ready to go and submitted today with a 169, would you feel good about it? Or when December 2 rolls around, will you wistfully drive by your testing center and wish you were in there again?

While it may be a bit of a gamble, I think if you have prepared properly, then you should feel confident to bet on yourself! As I've been learning (and must continue reminding myself when I do poorly), there definitely is something to be said for the consistency of this test combined with proper prep. If you spend the next 7 weeks continuing to prep and get your PT average up to where you are consistently scoring around 170 (or a bit higher to mitigate risk), the odds of you scoring lower than a 169 do diminish.

I believe in you!

You're totally right. It's like trying to redo an A basically...god I should have stuck to poli sci and left Econ out of the mix ! Thanks for your kind words...I guess I'll really need to figure this out before my next step.