Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much did your score improve

Purely after finishing the LR core curriculum? then after that how much after drilling?

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

After the LR CC (which I revisited multiple times) and after tons and tons of drilling (went through an entire Cambridge vol 2 LR book twice as well, aka more than 1,000 questions almost twice lol) my LR on timed PTs got to about -1/-2 per LR. I would sometimes go -0 but there was always luck involved but confidently I would always be around -2.

Unfortunately my sept score didn't reflect that well though LMAO I SUCK

• JennaV33JennaV33 Member
    28 karma

wow that is super awesome though! I am consistently -8 per section, which is the same as my raw score, I have yet to improve and I am frustrated with myself.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@JennaV33 said:
    Purely after finishing the LR core curriculum? then after that how much after drilling?

I think when I started 7Sage I was missing between 4-6 on each LR section. But after the CC and drilling, I was able to cut that in about half to -2/-3, pretty consistently too.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@JennaV33 said:
    wow that is super awesome though! I am consistently -8 per section, which is the same as my raw score, I have yet to improve and I am frustrated with myself.

Keep drilling. Don't underestimate the power of untimed drilling. I credit untimed drilling of question types to my LR success. Learn how to do something, do it right repeatedly, and speed will take care of itself.

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

@"Alex Divine" are you drilling LR from the older tests in a similar way that you do LG?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LindsMitch said:
    @"Alex Divine" are you drilling LR from the older tests in a similar way that you do LG?

Yup! That's exactly what I'm doing. The only difference is that I do most of my LR work untimed and my LG work I use a stopwatch that counts up.

• KaterynaKateryna Alum Member
    edited October 2017 984 karma

@"Alex Divine" yeap, same here. i am drilling LR from PT17 to 36 so far doing -3/-4 per section. still waiting on that -1/-0 lol.
    as for games, drilling with timer is a key

@TheMikey which PT are in Cambridge volume 2?

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

It came in stages for me. I probably started around -10 range, then after going through PS Bibles got to -6. After 7Sage CC, maybe -4 where I plateaued for a long time, only increasing my average to -3 after 6+ months of drilling and PTs. I'd learned the logic and it had taken me as far as it could. Once I learned strategy--how to execute what I'd learned effectively--that's when I jumped down to a final average of about -1 or so.

4196 karma

@Kateryna said:

@TheMikey which PT are in Cambridge volume 2?

volume 2 is PTs 21-40

• lsatstudierlsatstudier Alum Member
    151 karma

@TheMikey where did you purchase the Cambridge volume? Thanks!

4196 karma

@lsatstudier said:
    @TheMikey where did you purchase the Cambridge volume? Thanks!

Cambridge doesn't sell them anymore but you MAY be able to find them on eBay or amazon but those who are selling them are selling them for ridiculous prices.

Powerscore has by type drilling books very similar to them though. Also, don't forget 7sage's U+ package has everything and you wouldn't need the Cambridge packet if you had U+!

• 193 karma

@JennaV33 said:

I was too, for a long time (7 mos.). I read another book, which helped me to get my LR under control -2 avg, It might help you, The LSAT Trainer: A Remarkable Self-Study Guide. I got it on Amazon for like $50. It focused my energy on finding the flaw in all the argument type questions first before trying to find the answer. Also, it had me practice finding the different answer choices for the same stimulus, which actually helped me considerably understand the differences in tone. It gave me a fresh perspective on RC, but my timed are still pretty high -6, but my untimed (if only) are -2. Before, even after going through 7sage, I was about -10. Honestly, I didn't get anything out of the Trainer LG section. It was totally weird, and I didn't bother with it. I play a lot of games from Puzzle Baron's Logic Puzzles. I consistently average -2 or better on LG. I think you can get a copy for like $10. 7sage does a much better job than the Trainer book (for me anyway) to understand, and help with timing.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@JennaV33 said:

I was stuck around -8 per section for a long time after the CC, so I totally understand you. I drilled a lot but didn’t improve.

Have you recorded yourself? Seeing myself performing under the timed conditions helped me implement skipping strategies, and I got to -3.

Assuming that your LR BR score is -0 or -1, you really have to know which questions to miss.

For LG, I used foolproofing & Pacifico’s LG Attack Strategy and I average -0.

984 karma

@"Alex Divine" how many pt/questions did u drill to go to -2/-3?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Kateryna said:
    @"Alex Divine" how many pt/questions did u drill to go to -2/-3?

Not many. All of the problem sets from the starter set (that's all I had back then) and maybe ~10 untimed LR sections from the older tests (1-35)

MY opinion is that just focusing on re-doing LR questions untimed in the beginning is the way to go. Really learn the mechanics, logic, and patterns.

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@LindsMitch said:

Yup! That's exactly what I'm doing. The only difference is that I do most of my LR work untimed and my LG work I use a stopwatch that counts up.

Ok cool. For me, it is a little all over the place. Frequently am -3 on LR, but randomly will miss 6 on a section every now and then and would like to figure out why. Untimed drilling seems like a good strategy for LR.

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

I probably improved by 10 pounts after the CC which brought me to a 160. And up to a 166ish with drilling, after PTing im around a 171/172

• samuelakuhnsamuelakuhn Member
    14 karma

Diagnostic of 152, three months later took the September 2017 LSAT and got a 176. Thanks JY and co.!

4196 karma

@samuelakuhn said:
    Diagnostic of 152, three months later took the September 2017 LSAT and got a 176. Thanks JY and co.!

that's a very nice jump lol congrats !

984 karma

@"Alex Divine" ugh, i am now doing my 9th PT just for LR from older LSATs and still cant get to that -1/-0 consistency. I am doing on average -7/-8 for TWO LR sections, but i would love to be around -3/-2 mark for both LR sections combined. do you think just drilling all LSATs from 17th (first one where JP explains LR) till 35th will help me get closer to the goal?
    I am currently on 25th. so around 9 more LR sections to go...

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@samuelakuhn said:

So awesome!

My only question: What type of pencils do you use? :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Kateryna said:
    @"Alex Divine" ugh, i am now doing my 9th PT just for LR from older LSATs and still cant get to that -1/-0 consistency. I am doing on average -7/-8 for TWO LR sections, but i would love to be around -3/-2 mark for both LR sections combined. do you think just drilling all LSATs from 17th (first one where JP explains LR) till 35th will help me get closer to the goal?
    I am currently on 25th. so around 9 more LR sections to go...

I really would advocate drilling questions by type until you can do -3 consistently. Find which question types are giving you trouble (with speed or accuracy!) and practice doing them by type.

984 karma

@"Alex Divine" u mean -3 for both LR sections?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Kateryna said:
    @"Alex Divine" u mean -3 for both LR sections?

No, on each section. Again, that's not a hard and fast rule by any means. Just my suggestion. I found that until I was consistently only missing -3 or so per section, my time was much better off dedicated to drilling by type and improving my fundamentals on each specific question type.

984 karma

@"Alex Divine" yeah, it does irritate me when i miss -4 per section, and it happens 50% of the time ugh. thank you for suggestions. i appreciate them.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Kateryna said:
    @"Alex Divine" yeah, it does irritate me when i miss -4 per section, and it happens 50% of the time ugh. thank you for suggestions. i appreciate them.

Of course :)

I was plateaued missing -4 per section for almost 2 months. What finally helped (besides getting 7sage) was just drilling by type. Eventually I was able to get down to missing -2/-3 pretty consistently.

984 karma

@"Alex Divine" my issue with drilling by type is that there is no one type i miss the most. they are pretty equal. the questions i miss normally are 4-5 "star" difficulty and are towards the last questions in the section.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Kateryna said:
    @"Alex Divine" my issue with drilling by type is that there is no one type i miss the most. they are pretty equal. the questions i miss normally are 4-5 "star" difficulty and are towards the last questions in the section.

Do you skip questions to give yourself more time for the harder ones? Are you also making sure you are completing easier questions in under a minute? These are both ways to ensure you have enough time to come back to the hardest questions and have more time to properly solve.

984 karma

@"Alex Divine" i am doing them untimed, so i am taking as much time as needed

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Kateryna said:
    @"Alex Divine" i am doing them untimed, so i am taking as much time as needed

Oh..

So the questions you are missing are not under timed conditions?

984 karma

@"Alex Divine" yeah, i am missing them when merely drilling the LR section