Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fee Waivers Question

...KBrown...KBrown Alum Member

Does anyone know if law schools can see when you've opened their applications? I am wondering if opening and beginning to fill the applications out would affect my chances of receiving a fee waiver from those schools, as they might already consider the fee a guarantee from you based on the interest demonstrated from beginning the application. Money is tight for me right now, but I feel embarrassed to email schools to ask if I would qualify for one of their waivers. I've received some merit fee waivers already. I'd appreciate any advice about how to go about requesting them if I should.

Comments

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

I doubt they can see anything before it's been completed.
    Some schools give out waivers to those who e-mail them and show interest, even without demonstrating need. Just e-mail the admissions committee and try.

• seth.reidseth.reid Free Trial Member
    49 karma

From all that I've heard, schools don't seem to mind you directly asking. They might jot a real quick "no". But I don't think it hurts you. Also, my guess is that they cannot see if you've opened the application.

• ...KBrown...KBrown Alum Member
    29 karma
  • TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Doubt they can tell you have their app open.

I have had several apps open for weeks and have received unsolicited waivers from multiple of those schools.

• KayyyyyyyKayyyyyyy Free Trial Member
    346 karma

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't gotten some of the fee waivers that other folks with both lower GPAs and LSAT scores have gotten (Berkeley, for example) - can anyone offer an explanation? Ive been signed up for CRS since August. Money is also tight for me and I had started all of my applications before my LSAT score came back, so I was also wondering if that was the reason?

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@Kayyyyyyy said:
    I was wondering the same thing. I haven't gotten some of the fee waivers that other folks with both lower GPAs and LSAT scores have gotten (Berkeley, for example) - can anyone offer an explanation? Ive been signed up for CRS since August. Money is also tight for me and I had started all of my applications before my LSAT score came back, so I was also wondering if that was the reason?

Doubt this is the reason why, if it were, I wouldn't have gotten any waivers because I've had most of my apps open for a while now

• seth.reidseth.reid Free Trial Member
    49 karma

@Kayyyyyyy said:

Just a couple thoughts that I can think of. 1) Are you sure they're not in junk/clutter/spam? 2) Have you fully filled out the CRS with all your interests and such?

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited October 2017 3072 karma

Could have something to do with their major/s or graduating institution or section scores?

I don't know for sure. All I know is I've received a ton of contact from schools that don't normally contact students below their medians, and especially not at/below their 25ths. I've even heard from a couple of schools that apparently rarely reach out to anyone. I think it may have something to do with one of the things I mentioned.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Some of it has to do with "number inflation" sometime schools send out waivers to people they know they will deny.

Sometimes it has to do LSAT scores, GPAs, and soft factors.

The best way to view waivers is YAY it saves me money!

If you don't have one, just ask. If you have a need based request and didn't get a fee waiver, just ask.