Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tutor or Class?

alexandra.marlenealexandra.marlene Alum Member
in General 102 karma

Hey all. So I love the 7sage community. But. I think I would do better with a human on some LR questions to really understand the reasoning and where I'm going wrong. Sept test showed me I've not fully grasped LR which may have been fine if I hadn't bombed RC. I plan on taking again in June after seeing so many ask, what's the rush in applying? I'm shooting for a 170, which I'm 100% convinced I can achieve if I can blow LR away. Games are a breeze now and RC and I are in couple's counselling, so it's just the two-section doozy I'm dealing with at the moment. Thoughts on enrolling in a class versus getting a great yet affordable tutor? How can I maximize my time? Thanks everyone!

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I would say tutor. I have experience with both BluePrint and Testmasters classes and I can say without a doubt you will not get what you are looking for. The class will be about 10-20 people and the class will keep moving even when you are stuck. They don't care, they have a curriculum to teach and a set amount of time to do it. You will feel some of your fellow students questions are dumb/irrelevant and then others are way over your head. You won't get the customized one on one training you are seeking.

Tutors on the other hand will adapt to your needs. I highly recommend this route. I only completed one or two sessions with a tutor, but he has been instrumental in helping me see the test in a new light and I am finally feeling myself stable out. I personally think this is the better route to go.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Tutor; definitely a tutor. I did a class for GMAT prep when I thought about going to B-school. I prefer a person too but the class was not very helpful at all as the teacher had to go at a pace comfortable for everyone. I am slow learner in that I like to process the information fully before moving on so a tutor would have been much more beneficial for me.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I have heard that most classes don't aim to get you anywhere near a 170. I would say that since you're mostly struggling with LR, and don't need to relearn every section, go with a tutor. The financial piece will probably break even, but it may actually cost less to get a tutor.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Agreeing with the above. Some of the courses cram huge amounts of material into lessons and sometimes the order of the lessons is not the best.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

If money's not a consideration, then tutor is definitely the way to go.

• alexandra.marlenealexandra.marlene Alum Member
    102 karma

Thank you everyone for the insight. Money obviously is a consideration, but I hear what y'all are saying: $1500 for a class or one-on-one tutoring. Should I get started now while I still have time or wait until closer to June, say in February, to start tutoring. Nothing in life has prepared me for LSAT prep. Thanks again for the help!