Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When to ask for LOR's

jack.igoejack.igoe Member
edited November 2017 in General 544 karma

Hey everyone,

I was wondering when you suggested asking for letters of rec from professors? I don't want to ask too early as I'm taking classes with both of them right now and am using it as an opportunity to try and impress but I also don't want to wait too long and have them take too long to write. I'm taking the LSAT in December and hoping to send my apps right after we get those scores back.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I had the same thoughts. I had spent a while with my professors already (previous classes, research, etc.), but I waited until I finished some assignments in the classes I'm taking with them now before I asked them for LORs. Make sure you do well in their classes, and I recommend asking for an LOR soon after killing an exam/paper/etc.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2017 23929 karma

I'd recommend asking once your final grades are in so they can write a better recommendation. If you ask earlier, they probably still will. However, they likely won't be as detailed and strong as they could be. Better to ask after you've gotten that A!

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

@"Paul Caint": Yeah that's a great idea. I have a midterm coming up in about a week so maybe I'll ask then.

@"Alex Divine": I've taken a class with both of them before and gotten A's in them. This is my second class with each of them. The only worry that I have is that if I wait until the beginning of December to ask (that's when the final grades are due), that it'll take too long for them to get the letters in before I go to apply after receiving the December score. What do you think?

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Why not ask now, explain that you need it by the end of December, and ask them if they would be able to get it done or polished after your grade comes in? That way at least the request won't come out of the blue. One of my profs got his letter done in three days after we met and discussed it. The other may take about a month.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Maybe you're already doing this, but I'd make sure to participate in virtually every class if it's that type of class. Then they can speak to your class contributions. Things vary, but I remember a person asking a professor perhaps 1.5 weeks before finals and that seemed to work well. Are these courses for your major? I commend you for getting this done before your graduation from college.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@"jack.igoe" I think you should ask right after you get your midterm scores back. Make sure you go to office hours a lot and show that you're working hard in their class.

But ask them sooner rather than later, give them a lot of time to write the letter so they don't feel pressure.

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

I also would suggest giving your professors as much time as possible...my advisor was constantly telling me how frustrating it was when she got requests for recommendations and only had a week or two to complete them...she said she always did it because it is part of her job, but she definitely felt rushed. I would say ask right away, especially since you've already had them in class before and I assume you've already been in these current classes for a couple of months by now.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited November 2017 3652 karma

Ask ASAP. Professors usually want at least a month notice. Just be humble and let go of fear of rejection or fear to depend on other people. You need this. Theres no formula to ask them and there's no way to finesse the timing. If they werent willing to write the letter last week they won't be willing to next week. If these are professors you havent taken classes with before then they're gonna give you the same answer 'I can help you out but it will be super generic as you've only taken one class with me'. If you've taken classes with them before then they've already formed a positive/negative opinion of you and it's time to ask.

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" That's also a good idea, I think I may ask the one that knows me better to write it now and wait until after finals for the other one.

@lsatplaylist: That's great advice. One of my classes is only like 15 people and it's Constitutional Law so it's a good situation for what you suggested.

@"Paul Caint" : Yeah I just got my midterm grades back so I would probably ask now to capitalize on those grades. Thanks so much for your advice.

@LindsMitch & @"surfy surf": That's one of my worries as well. I don't want to screw my professors timing wise. I'm not so much worried about the denial but the timing of it in order to maximize the quality of the letter.