Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Effectiveness of Fool Proofing

Hey everyone, with a month left to go before the December LSAT, I just wanted to provide an update to show that the FP technique really is beneficial.

Before the September LSAT, I had only used the 7S games explanation videos and the Powerscore bibles to study. On a typical LG section, I would score around 18/23 was almost always pressed for time. Last night after completing all of my law school applications, I finished the games section of PT 61 in 26 minutes with only one mistake due to missing a word in one question.

If you're worried about LG like me, it's not too late to improve!

Comments

• edited November 2017 1025 karma

I totally agree!!! The 7sage method cracks the LG section on the LSAT. I hit my first -0 yesterday with 7 minutes left and it seemed so easy, but this is actually a testament to the method. (:

Great job by the way!! Keep up the good studying mate!

• LauraC829LauraC829 Alum Member
    218 karma

@vanillamochi said:
    Hey everyone, with a month left to go before the December LSAT, I just wanted to provide an update to show that the FP technique really is beneficial.

Before the September LSAT, I had only used the 7S games explanation videos and the Powerscore bibles to study. On a typical LG section, I would score around 18/23 was almost always pressed for time. Last night after completing all of my law school applications, I finished the games section of PT 61 in 26 minutes with only one mistake due to missing a word in one question.

If you're worried about LG like me, it's not too late to improve!

Hi there! I'm about to finish the CC and do a month full of PTs before the Dec. exam. I realize I don't have much time, should I not start fool proofing now or do you think I could still benefit from it?

Thanks!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I'd recommend starting foolproofing now alongside PTs. You might not maximize it's helpfullness, but it will help.

• ChandymenChandymen Alum Member
    119 karma

Do you reccomend reading the Powerscore bible? I have done the CC and am struggling with LG and was planning on going straight to fool proofing

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

don't really think you'll gain anything from the PS bible that you can't get from the CC.

4423 karma

@Chandymen said:
    Do you reccomend reading the Powerscore bible? I have done the CC and am struggling with LG and was planning on going straight to fool proofing

I'd go straight to foolproofing. In my opinion the powerscore bible was a useful tool before I knew about the 7 sage videos, foolproofing, and the core curriculum. However, I think that foolproofing helped me the most, followed by blind reviewing and taking PTs, followed by the core curriculum, followed by the bible.

The only circumstances in which I'd still recommend use of the bible is if someone was starting out with zero lsat prep and only a few weeks until the exam or if they absolutely couldn't afford the starter package and couldn't get any help obtaining it. I would still recommend they focus mostly on PTing and some sort of foolproofing, but the bible might make a useful very quick, but less thorough replacement for the core curriculum's logic games explanations.

• TheLSATerTheLSATer Alum Member
    137 karma

How are you all fool proofing? Are you doing individual games at a time or are you doing it by section?

4423 karma

@LSAter170 said:
    How are you all fool proofing? Are you doing individual games at a time or are you doing it by section?

I always did it by section. I felt it gave me a better sense of timing.

• TheLSATerTheLSATer Alum Member
    137 karma

Thank you

• vanillamochivanillamochi Member
    37 karma

@LauraC829 said:

Hi there! I'm about to finish the CC and do a month full of PTs before the Dec. exam. I realize I don't have much time, should I not start fool proofing now or do you think I could still benefit from it?

Thanks!

You 100% have time to FP. What do you consider a full month of PTs? Because I cycled through like, 14 in a month and it was simply too much. Try to think about how much each PT could help you if you have adequate time to go over it thoroughly and really understand your mistakes. That's what helps the most, generally-- allowing yourself the time for things to sink in.

And I think it depends on where you are with your skills. Where you are with conditional reasoning, with recognising trickier question types, with having a plan of attack for each section that you've already developed. If you haven't done that yet, you should definitely make it a priority over FPing unless LG is your weakest section. The reason for this is that your ability to sit tests of this length and magnitude will really be put to the test that day. That being said, starting FPing now could never be a waste of time or too late, since the points you make back up on it could be enough to offset other mistakes on other sections.

37 karma

@Chandymen said:

What I'd say is figure out based on practice tests you've done or speeding through the CC LG videos to remind yourself what your worst game sections are and start FPing those ones first. I personally think that the PS LG Bible is a lot more convoluted than it needs to be and while it definitely helped me have a solid base before I started the CC, doing CC then reading the Bible may just confuse you.

I think you maybe should have foolproofed at the time you were making mistakes or not catching things while going through the LG sections of the CC. That's what I did-- I acted fast on the FPing when I'd get even just one question wrong in the practice videos or question sets.

For the practice game videos, I wouldn't do each question with JY-- I'd pause the video so I could see the stimulus, do the gameboard setup myself, start the video to see how he set his gameboard up and the questions, do them myself, then start the video to watch if we both got the same answers. For the problem sets, I'd go to the video explanation of each game, see how long JY recommends you take to complete it, set my timer and go. After that, I would see if I was okay with that time constraint and if I was getting 100%. If I was getting 100% but took a minute longer, I would FP until I was under time. If I wasn't getting 100%, I would immediately watch the video explanation while the setup and questions were still fresh. After watching it and following along, I would take an hour to do other studying, come back and FP to see if I corrected mistakes from the first time. If I didn't, I'd figure out why. Sometimes I would misread a word and give an opposite answer, so I would rewrite the whole thing again until it was under time and all correct.

37 karma

@LSAter170 said:

For example, last night I did PT 82 in timed conditions. When I was done, I scored LG, did each game that I got mistakes in again and timed, corrected those mistakes in the second run, then did the whole thing again for pacing and being sure I understood what I was doing right this time versus last time.

I find that I don't need to "get 10 or 20 copies" like JY says. Usually after three times, I'm solid with a game. Sometimes I am just on the second try of it, but then I redo it the next day anyways.