Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did the fool proof method make you faster overall or just more accurate?

JennaV33JennaV33 Member

my issue is timing. my PT scores suck (155ish) because I never finish a section, logic games I have never finished more than 2, never even looked at the 3rd. i am working on the fool proof method, and obviously I am faster at the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time I do the same game but I am worried it is not translating and I am not speeding up enough in general. A game that 7sage says should take me 8 mins takes me 12. Is it just about drilling at this point to try and improve my time?

Comments

• btate87btate87 Alum Member
    782 karma

Definitely both. Always worry about accuracy first and the speed will follow. The better you know the material, the better your process will be. And that process is really what you're fool proofing. How do you decide when to split game boards? How do you know which answer choices to check first when you have to brute force? Those sorts of skills develop into instincts and that's where the speed comes from.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

@btate87 said:
    Always worry about accuracy first and the speed will follow.

This is a crucially important point that cannot be stressed enough.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

Both for sure. Eventually you start to get to games you've never seen before and realize it's a reincarnation of a previous game you've done. Perhaps you're ordering ingredients for a recipe instead of birds in the forest.

In the beginning stages where you're still having trouble getting past the second game, you really need to keep hammering on the fundamentals. Make sure your diagramming methods and logic skills are as good as they can be. For a very long time I stopped developing my logic skills and remained painfully slow on grouping games as a result. So don't be afraid to redo lessons and review the basics, as they are MOST important.

The thing about getting good at LG is that it takes hundreds of hours of consistent hard work. Really just put your faith into the fool proof method and follow it accordingly. You will begin to see progress. Just start at PT1 Games and start FP'ing.

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

Way faster. But like everyone is saying, it takes time. If you don't understand the inferences you're required to make, then speed doesn't matter. Getting through 18 questions and getting 18 correct is way better than getting through 24 questions and getting 12 correct

• Maddie D.Maddie D. Alum Member
    325 karma

Both. So when I started PTing about a year ago, I regularly (and embarrassingly) went -12 on games. I could go -2 on every other section and games would just crush me. I now average about -1/-2 which for me is a level of improvement I truly never thought I'd see. I can tell you in a state of absolute shock that LG was my best section on the September test, which was a first take for me. I was a total skeptic but it works! I had been using a different tutoring program before 7sage and it just wasn't clicking but with the fp method, I improved slowly and steadily for months.

You will eventually get to the point where you're like, "Oh yeah! I've seen that deduction before," and it'll feel reflexive. Just make sure you really interrogate why you made certain decisions when you were setting up your game boards and making deductions. Anyway, just thought it'd help to hear from someone who seriously sucked at games before foolproofing. Good luck!

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

@"Maddie Distasio" said:

Just make sure you really interrogate why you made certain decisions when you were setting up your game boards and making deductions.

So important! I call this "active foolproofing."

• joycool9567joycool9567 Alum Member
    133 karma

It made me way faster. I virtually solved every single question from 1 - 35 around three times. For some questions more than 5 6 times I think. It is time consuming and not time efficient but I get max 1 wrong on PT so far.

Some non traditional erratic games in the old PTs were also greatly helpful.

• SuuuGeeeSuuuGeee Member
    30 karma

I used to --4 and it went down to -1. On the actual exam, I had extra time to look back at the questions I wasn't 100% on but still missed one due to a simple reading error. But being fast enough for extra time/increasing accuracy a little was because of the fool-proof method.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I'd say it actually only made me faster not more accurate. I was never missing questions that I thought I had right on the games section. It just took me a really long time to solve some of them to the point where it was infeasible during the test and for the worst ones impractical even in a blind review(after an hour with one game you tend to just look to the explanation video). Blind guessing because there isn't enough time isn't really inaccuracy though.

Eventually foolproofing will work for you. It pretty much does for everyone. It just can take a long time and hundreds of games.