Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT 82 BR Sessions with J.Y. [Spoiler Warning]

J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
edited November 2017 in Study Groups 14055 karma

Hey 7Sagers, I'm leading BR calls for PT 82 (September 2017 LSAT).

I'm holding 6 sessions total. 2 for each of LR 1, LR 2, and RC. Each session will focus on only one section of PT 82.

All sessions will start at 6:30p ET and end at 8:30p.

Multiple sessions are meant to accomodate people's various schedules and to reduce class size per session.

What happens in these sessions?
I'll ask students to state which questions were circled for BR. We'll work through the questions the group nominates. I generally try to ask students questions to elicit the right response. Please wear headphones and try to be in a quiet place.

How should I prepare?
Take PT 82 and have the questions you'd like to BR ready. The first thing I'll ask everyone is which questions they'd like to BR.

Next Session

6:30p - 8:30p ET

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/270891637

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (646) 749-3131

Access Code: 270-891-637

Joining from a video-conferencing room or system?
Dial: 67.217.95.2##270891637
Cisco devices: 270891637@67.217.95.2

First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check: https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check

Future Sessions
[no more sessions]

Obtaining PT 82
If you have an Ultimate+ account, you will be able to view and print PT 82 under the Syllabus. You can also purchase PT 82 as an add-on to your existing course here.

Past Sessions
11/10 Friday - Section 1 - LR
11/11 Saturday - Section 4 - LR
11/13 Monday - Section 3 - RC, Passages 1 and 2
11/14 Tuesday - Section 3 - RC, Passage 3
11/15 Wednesday - Section 1 - LR
11/16 Thursday - Section 4 - LR
11/18 Saturday - Section 3 - RC, Passage 4

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

I'm not taking this test yet, but

https://media.giphy.com/media/UKWxGMEPjRwCA/giphy.gif

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

OMG YES

As someone who had their dreams shattered when getting their score back from this test, and as someone who will be retaking it, I WILL BE THERE!

• grasshopper-1grasshopper-1 Alum Member
    10 karma

HI GUYS! WHERE DO I GET THE TEST? IS IT AVAILABLE IN TAOBAO?

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@"grasshopper-1" said:
    HI GUYS! WHERE DO I GET THE TEST? IS IT AVAILABLE IN TAOBAO?

https://7sage.com/addons/

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

LR section 4 question #14 good lord help me with this question ☹️. I got it to 50/50 B and E. What in the world....HALP!

How do they both not weaken? How are they not almost saying like the same thing?!

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14055 karma

@LSATcantwin How would B weaken?

edited November 2017 13286 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:

The same way E does. Is there really a distinction between

“Heavily influenced”

And

“Has much more in common with”

If the later music is heavily influenced by early jazz then it has a lot in common, right?

I really don’t understand how E and B are any different in meaning.

The only thing I notice E does that B doesn’t do is that E compares later music to other types of music other than jazz.

Is that where it makes it a better answer choice?

I don’t think I’ve ever been this floored by a question before lol

13286 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:

Thinking about it more, I’m not sure I even understand HOW E weakens the argument. I just know that all the rest of the AC suck.

14055 karma

@LSATcantwin You're thinking about this correctly. First step is to distinguish between the two answers.

(B) says X is heavily influenced by Y
    (E) says X has much more in common with Y than with... well anything else.

Consider (B), the idea of "heavily influenced." Can you think of examples where X is heavily influenced by Y but X and Y do not share very much in common? From a different angle, could X also have been heavily influenced by Z? Perhaps even more heavily influenced by Z?

edited November 2017 13286 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:
    @LSATcantwin You're thinking about this correctly. First step is to distinguish between the two answers.

(B) says X is heavily influenced by Y
    (E) says X has much more in common with Y than with... well anything else.

Consider (B), the idea of "heavily influenced." Can you think of examples where X is heavily influenced by Y but X and Y do not share very much in common? From a different angle, could X also have been heavily influenced by Z? Perhaps even more heavily influenced by Z?

So then Anakin was heavily influenced by Obiwan but more heavily influenced by Palpatine.

Anakin was won over by Palpatine even though he was also influenced heavily by Obiwan.

So in that case it doesn’t weaken our argument since Anakin is Sith not Jedi?

Or back to the real thing,

It’s possible new music was influenced by something else more than it was by Jazz and therefore shouldn’t be classified as Jazz?

Okay - so why does it seem like I should be looking for an AC that addresses melody. That also really threw me off because I prephrased something that included that...

Edit: sorry for formatting I am on mobile on the way home from work

14055 karma

@LSATcantwin Yeah, you're getting there. Think about it some more and post back tomorrow. I think it'll click.

13286 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:
    @LSATcantwin Yeah, you're getting there. Think about it some more and post back tomorrow. I think it'll click.

Thank you so much! It’s already starting to.

Basically answer choice E exhausts other possibilities while B does not. The key is that E says “any other type of music”. I can see that now. Sigh...

• rola2016rola2016 Alum Member
    20 karma

Is there any chance that these sessions can be recorded? For West Coasters with day jobs, these are hard to make!

• lena_is_herelena_is_here Member
    64 karma

Can you briefly talk about the difficulty of each section in comparison to previous LSATs? I got annihilated by the first LR section. Also, are they incorporating more agree/disagree questions? I feel like there were a ton in this test.

• TheLSATerTheLSATer Alum Member
    137 karma

I have a more general question about proposition question stems. There was on the first section. Should these question types be approached like principle questions or are they more like inference questions? I have read both so I am a bit confused.

Thanks!

• alaa.11alaa.11 Free Trial Member
    33 karma

are the sessions at the same time every day?

edited November 2017 14055 karma

Hey everyone, two updates:

1. The live commentary videos are up. S1 is here:
      https://7sage.com/lesson/preptest-82-s1-lr-live-commentary/

2. I added another BR call for Saturday evening to review Passage 4 since we didn't get to do it today. Because we spent more than 2 hours talking about judges and why they shouldn't lie.

13286 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:

2. I added another BR call for Saturday evening to review Passage 4 since we didn't get to do it today. Because we spent more than 2 hours talking about judges and why they shouldn't lie.

https://apocalypedia.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/judge-dredd2.gif?w=640

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    1866 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:

Thank you for agreeing to an extra session! Looking forward to this!

137 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:

Do I need to upgrade to see this or can it be purchased separately?

137 karma

Nevermind. See the answer to this above

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Just dropping by to say that I finally took this as a PT and whew... that was rough. Agreed with everyone’s overall assessments. RC was killer and LG was crazy easy. I’ve only ever finished a LG in time once before (usually run out of time a couple questions shy). This LG I finished with 5 minutes to spare! RC I wasn’t even able to get to the last passage. I did actually surprisingly well on the questions I finished but it all felt really dense, of course the judges in particular. I also thought the first LR section was more difficult than average. Scored a 164 and my last several PTs have all been 166-167. Seems about right because RC is my weakness and I knew this one would be brutal.

Man, hats off to everyone who took it in Sept. I know they are all supposed to be relatively equal but this one felt roughhhh.