Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Huge discrepancy between both LR sections

Over my last couple of ptests I have scored in my goal range for one (ex -4) and then like 5 below that (-10). It's really hurting my score. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this problem and if there was a solution for it. It's frustrating because I know what my potential is and I am not even close on one LR section to it.

Comments

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Is there a pattern, i.e., are you always doing better on the first?

• Caleb.rohr.churchCaleb.rohr.church Alum Member
    72 karma

@uhinberg said:
    Is there a pattern, i.e., are you always doing better on the first?

On 3/5 that has been the case. For instance today, section 1 I got -4 and section 3 I got -10. I cannot say a pattern is there, but it is starting to emerge. If I had gotten -4 on both sections or even -4 and -6 I would have been really quite okay with my score. Given the test is in December I need to remedy this problem ASAP.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Not sure that the evidence supports this, but could it be that its a stamina issue?

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I had the same thing happen: -4 and -10. I looked at the types of questions I got wrong and realized that almost all of them were the same type of question. Was there a pattern for you?

• skrishnanskrishnan Alum Member
    209 karma

I had the same thing happen to me on my last PT. I really think its a stamina issue for me though. With the test coming closer, my focus is really off. I was meaning to write a post about it too! I'm just taking today off and will see if this is some variety of a burn out issue.

• amedley88amedley88 Alum Member
    378 karma

I feel like in some of the prep tests, especially in the early ones, the first LR section is objectively easier than the second. I noticed the second has many more "EXCEPT" questions and difficult Parallel Method of Reasoning ones. The key is always of course, more LR drilling :smile:

72 karma

@uhinberg said:
    Not sure that the evidence supports this, but could it be that its a stamina issue?

It could quite be a stamina issue. I'm going to look into that.

72 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    I had the same thing happen: -4 and -10. I looked at the types of questions I got wrong and realized that almost all of them were the same type of question. Was there a pattern for you?

That's a good hypothesis. I'll look over that. Thanks for the idea!

72 karma

@amedley88 said:
    I feel like in some of the prep tests, especially in the early ones, the first LR section is objectively easier than the second. I noticed the second has many more "EXCEPT" questions and difficult Parallel Method of Reasoning ones. The key is always of course, more LR drilling :smile:

Actually these are preptests 79-81. Also some of the second LR are actually easier so I've ruled out that possibility.

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

@"Caleb.rohr.church" said:
    Over my last couple of ptests I have scored in my goal range for one (ex -4) and then like 5 below that (-10). It's really hurting my score. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this problem and if there was a solution for it. It's frustrating because I know what my potential is and I am not even close on one LR section to it.

I can't find the link right now, but LSAC administered a public document years ago explaining that they have a formula to gauge how hard the test is (specifically, how hard each section of the test is, on a scale) and the total difficulty of each test is supposed to add up to about the same number across the board.

For example, if one test's LG is significantly harder than the previously administered test, than at least one of that test's LR or RC will be easier than its predecessor. LR is no exception. That is why, typically, one LR section is considered "objectively" harder by LSAC's standards almost every time. The degree to which one LR section is harder than the other varies test by test, but it is to my understanding that there is no pattern for the difficult LR section preceding or following the other -- so you were right to rule out that possibility!

• amedley88amedley88 Alum Member
    378 karma

@FerdaFresh said:

@"Caleb.rohr.church" said:

I can't find the link right now, but LSAC administered a public document years ago explaining that they have a formula to gauge how hard the test is (specifically, how hard each section of the test is, on a scale) and the total difficulty of each test is supposed to add up to about the same number across the board.

For example, if one test's LG is significantly harder than the previously administered test, than at least one of that test's LR or RC will be easier than its predecessor. LR is no exception. That is why, typically, one LR section is considered "objectively" harder by LSAC's standards almost every time. The degree to which one LR section is harder than the other varies test by test, but it is to my understanding that there is no pattern for the difficult LR section preceding or following the other -- so you were right to rule out that possibility!

Good to know!