Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law School Application

jhanco10jhanco10 Alum Member

How much weight does an application committee put on resume? My grades are above average and my LSAT is fair, but my resume is weak. How much will this negatively affect me?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@benhancock68 said:
    How much weight does an application committee put on resume? My grades are above average and my LSAT is fair, but my resume is weak. How much will this negatively affect me?

I think it ultimately depends on several factors. First, how long have you been out of school? If you've been out of school for 5-10 years, I think admissions will certainly put more weight on your resume. I also think top schools certainly tend to put more weight on resumes, as well. I think it also depends on what you mean by your resume being "weak." Is it just that you have little or no work experience? Yeah, I could see that being a bit of a disadvantage. However, if you don't have prestigious work experience or anything law related, I don't think that will be held against you too much so long as your PS explains why you're pursuing law school.

In short, resumes and applications are more of an art than a science and everyone's situation is different. For this reason it's impossible to quantify how much one thing will hurt/help you. The silver lining is that law school is primarily a numbers game and that's something that can be quantified. If you're worried about your application being weak you can always retake the LSAT and get a score to match your GPA.

• jhanco10jhanco10 Alum Member
    195 karma

Thank you so much for your guidance! I will graduate at 21, because I am a year ahead.

edited April 2018 195 karma

A

edited April 2018 195 karma

A