Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOR Selection?

luniholuniho Alum Member

I'm finally entering the last stages of my application after about a million revisions of my personal statement and diversity statement but I'm kind of conflicted regarding LOR submission. I have three total - one from a former graduate student instructor (took two classes, currently an assistant professor), another a former lecturer (also took two classes, now does trial consulting/jury research) and finally, my current employer (worked together over a year, an associate dean.) What sort of approach would be beneficial for schools that ask for less than three letters of recommendation? If helpful, the academic references are for educators at University of Michigan and my employer serves at a Metro Detroit university.

Comments

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited November 2017 1777 karma

Can you only use two? If one of your LOR writers is a "worse writer" than the others, knock them off the list. That's what I have read over and over since applying to colleges. I guess you kind of have to make an assumption, but you have also probably seen your professors' writing before. If you haven't been out of school for a while, skip out on the LOR from your employer. I read something from a Yale Law admissions committee member saying that if you're currently a student, and you can't get two academic LORs, they wonder if you have some sort of "crippling social disorder" or if you didn't go to class. Not worth the risk.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Imo use the academic letters only if only 2 are required.

• luniholuniho Alum Member
    17 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" @"Paul Caint" most offer some flexibility but a few are a hard two - I think the academic references should be strong, but I don't want it to look weird that my employer of over a year doesn't have a recommendation for me! I graduated 12/2014 so I haven't been out of school a super long time but I was afraid excluding the employer would make it look like I couldn't take the real world or something. Thanks so much for thoughts and apologies for late response, I must have missed notifications!!

• luniholuniho Alum Member
    17 karma

You know, I feel like I read this the other day and let my panic override - I do have two academic references, both from people who were enthusiastic and responsive to my requests. I suppose in the scheme of students I've really not been out of school all that long, so the professional reference could just look like I'm lacking in the academic department rather than accounting for my current position success. Thanks so much for your help!

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited November 2017 1777 karma

When it comes to your career, let your resume do the talking. :) Anyone who is going to bust their ass to score high on the LSAT is going to have a good work ethic. A work LOR isn't going to tell them anything they don't already know, it'll just reinforce it.