Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Much Are You Hoping To Improve Before Test Day?

RGBeetobeRGBeetobe Alum Member
edited November 2017 in December 2017 LSAT 142 karma

For those of us taking the test in December, how much of an improvement in your score are you hoping to see from now until then? I would love to consistently be scoring around 3 points higher than I am now, but that's probably pretty unrealistic.

How much of an improvement do you want from now to test day?
  1. How much of an improvement do you want to see from now to test day?47 votes
    1. None!
        4.26%
    2. 1-2 pts
      29.79%
    3. 3-5 pts
      23.40%
    4. 5+
      34.04%
    5. More than what’s possible- I’m going to delay to February.
        8.51%

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited November 2017 10774 karma

I think the answer for me depends. I would be happy to score 3-1 points below my average on the test. But, if I happen to have a bad test day to actually score my current average on that day or slightly below my average I need to improve my average by about 2 points before test day. :(

But that being said, whether someone can make a 3 point jump in 2 weeks before test day can sometimes depend on a simple change in strategy such as skipping or circling question in a particular way. So I think whether we can make that 3 point jump really depends on what you actually need to change to make that jump. Some things can be changed in 2 weeks but other things like improvement in knowledge take a bit more time.

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

At this point, being so close to test day, I'll be focusing on LG the most -- making sure I consistently get as close to -0 as possible. For me personally, timing is hard and I usually have to guess on the last 2 or 3 questions for LG. I'm hoping that fixing this will give me those extra points I need! December is a retake for me so I'm thinking I won't be as anxious/stressed as I was for my first test since I know what to expect the day of.

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

So I took the Sept. test and scored 5 points higher than the latest 3 PTs I took before it.... so make sure to be calm and eat properly the day of the test :)

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

@"adi.pickles" said:
    So I took the Sept. test and scored 5 points higher than the latest 3 PTs I took before it.... so make sure to be calm and eat properly the day of the test :)

This gives me hope. Lol.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I think my biggest thing is to just be calm and focused on test day. My nerves made me score six points below my average in September. Gotta do some meditation and soul searching

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited November 2017 1777 karma

Sleep more and you can get one point higher for being clear-headed and not misreading a question. Skip a question so you can revisit two others, and you can get another point higher. Drill one of the most common questions types so you can get an additional point. There's the possibility for three right there! You got this. :)

• RGBeetobeRGBeetobe Alum Member
    142 karma

@"adi.pickles" whoa that’s awesome. What do you think the difference was?

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

In the last 2 weeks strategy can net you more points than "drilling types" like Sami mentioned are you skipping? Consistently? Are you doing things how you normally do them? How do you bubble?

Basically are you taking the test how you practice?

Focusing on HOW you take the test is just... maybe even MORE important than your problem based knowledge.

I've cost myself 10 points, 7 points and 4 points on tests in single sections all via costly mistakes usually missbubbles or letting a section get in my head or issues with not setting my clock right.

Had 0 to do with my knowledge of answering LSAT questions.

I'm spending my last 2 weeks on consistent bubbling practices, skipping strategies and deliberately putting sections that undermine my confidence into PTs (or entirely comprised of them) to get me to a point that I don't have these issues.

At this point it's not a lack of LSAT knowledge keeping me from getting my goal score... it's me getting in my own way.

• DawnHenryDawnHenry Alum Member
    298 karma

@"adi.pickles" said:

oh god, if that happened to me it would change all of my target school lol

I just assume I will score about 3 points lower than my PTs and try to get my PTs to a place that will account for that and still get me the score I hope for.

• DawnHenryDawnHenry Alum Member
    edited November 2017 298 karma

@stepharizona said:
    In the last 2 weeks strategy can net you more points than "drilling types" like Sami mentioned are you skipping? Consistently? Are you doing things how you normally do them? How do you bubble?

Basically are you taking the test how you practice?

Focusing on HOW you take the test is just... maybe even MORE important than your problem based knowledge.

I've cost myself 10 points, 7 points and 4 points on tests in single sections all via costly mistakes usually missbubbles or letting a section get in my head or issues with not setting my clock right.

Had 0 to do with my knowledge of answering LSAT questions.

I'm spending my last 2 weeks on consistent bubbling practices, skipping strategies and deliberately putting sections that undermine my confidence into PTs (or entirely comprised of them) to get me to a point that I don't have these issues.

At this point it's not a lack of LSAT knowledge keeping me from getting my goal score... it's me getting in my own way.

I think this is where I'm at, too. There are still a couple types of questions (if they are particularly difficult) that I struggle with. But I do feel I have the basics there. It's now time that I struggle with, and test-taking strategies. I believe that skipping works, but I struggle with it a lot. So I'm spending this last bit of time trying to hone those test-taking skills to make sure I'm in control of the time.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited November 2017 3197 karma

When JY first told me about skipping I was all hmm that should be easy... but man was it hard... now it's easy... I'm all not wasting my time on you... guilt free skipping is the best!!!!