Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When time stop, do all pencils drop?

rvhanson3rvhanson3 Free Trial Member
in General 4 karma

I haven't taken a lsat at a center yet (a real lsat) but I was wondering when time is called, does that mean all pencils must be dropped or can one finish bubbling one's answer?

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

https://7sage.com/lsat-proctor-instructions/

Yep put down your pencil. Don't try bubbling in after time is called.

• sakox010sakox010 Member
    edited November 2017 333 karma

Ideally yes, but there are going to be people who keep bubbling answers after time is up and they run the risk of getting caught by a proctor and that proctor issuing a misconduct notice to LSAC. Think of it like driving through a red light. Do people get away with it? Yes. Can you get caught? Yes. In my opinion it's not worth running the risk. Plus, if you're in the situation of having to bubble answers after time has been called, you probably haven't maxed out your potential.

• partyondudespartyondudes Alum Member
    edited November 2017 424 karma

@sakox010 said:
    Ideally yes, but there are going to be people who keep bubbling answers after time is up and they run the risk of getting caught by a proctor and that proctor issuing a misconduct notice to LSAC. Think of it like driving through a red light. Do people get away with it? Yes. Can you get caught? Yes. In my opinion it's not worth running the risk. Plus, if you're in the situation of having to bubble answers after time has been called, you probably haven't maxed out your potential.

Agreed! Especially when time is called just when you are going to circle an answer, it can be very tempting to not put your pencil down. Putting your pencil down when time is called may not be fun--especially if you know the right answer--but, in the long run, honesty feels better than getting one more point that may or may not affect your curved score.

And on @sakox010's point about "you probably haven't maxed out your potential", I've found that to be very true. Skip more and bank the time for later so there's less of a chance for a last-minute scramble!

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited November 2017 4196 karma

when time is called you have to drop it like it's hot

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

After each administration, you always tend to see 2-3 people post on the different LSAT forums about getting a warning of thrown out of the test due to penciling in after time is called. Not worth having that mark on your record forever, or losing your LSAT score.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Just got off the phone with LSAC to double check for you. They suggested that at the end of the section when you drop your pencil, you should also firmly announce your action.
    "Pencil Dropped!" should suffice. Let me know how it goes

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

Yeah, I would say that it isn't likely that you will get caught (especially, if you're in a large room with a lot of people), but it is not worth it (not to mention any ethical considerations with regard to fairness).

I wrote last Sept and there was an LR question that I came to in review and realized that the answer that I didn't bubble was the right one, but right as I was getting ready to erase and bubble in the correct answer time was called. I immediately dropped my pencil and kicked myself the whole way home because every single question is important. Nevertheless, I don't regret not trying to quickly change my answer given the fact that the penalties can be so high. In the end, luckily, everything turned out alright even with the missed question but I would say that 5-10 extra seconds of bubbling is not a risk worth taking.

...Or maybe you like living on the wild side, in which case, have at it;)!--A.c.S