Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC Complaint?

LauraC829LauraC829 Alum Member
edited December 2017 in General 218 karma

I just took the Dec. 2017 exam in Staten Island and there was basically every possible distraction you could think of, the worst one being a music/theatre practice taking place in the classroom DIRECTLY above. There were people singing OPERA and playing the piano during an entire LG section (no one thought to go upstairs and ask them to stop). The proctors also had full conversations/giggled throughout various sections and since I was sitting right in front of them it was incredibly distracting. On top of this, the heater began making really loud banging noises non-stop for almost an entire LR section.

I don't want to cancel my score, but all these disturbances definitely made it harder to focus which significantly slowed me down. If I complain could I get my next exam free? Advice?

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I have no idea if you can get your next exam free, but you should complain anyways so they can take some steps to fix it.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Highly doubt you will get a free exam especially considering that you don't want to cancel your score.
    Your complaint helps ensure that future test takers won't have to deal with that.

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

I was told that unless a lot of people complain, it's unlikely anything will come of it. But idk if that's standard or not. Just what I heard from someone who filed a complaint because their proctor called time early twice.

That being said, I took the test in September and had similar issues with music/talking/yelling outside of the room/etc. I didn't report it because of what that person told me. And yeah, LSAC isn't responsible for the test centers... But part of me wishes I did just so it could've been on record.

• TinaTheLlamaTinaTheLlama Member
    91 karma

@LauraC829

I'm curious about how to make a complaint as well. I'll probably be looking into it. We had a proctor messing with some kind of plastic tape throughout most of a section (sounded like opening dozens of werthers).

If they don't know about it and it made a difference it will mess up their statistics. Imagine being on their end and getting results back and, I don't know, the average score is noticeably lower for this site than its surrounding sites. I know there are testing sites that can have more or less students of a particular racial background and that could mess up their demographics further. If its the fault of the proctors, calling them up and asking them why is probably not going to help.

Plus with something as legitimate as that - at least an apology from LSAC to those students would absolutely be appropriate.

• Kathp472Kathp472 Alum Member
    49 karma

I also just took the december lsat in staten island and I couldn't believe how distracting all the noises were! The heaters were banging for an entire LR section and the proctors cellphone rang twice :( I'll be sending a complaint today...

• Darth VaderDarth Vader Alum Member
    10 karma

Hey,
    I took the LSAT in Staten Island as well today and experienced the same problems with the noise (I looked at how to submit a complaint to LSAC and you can email them. You can find the instructions on their website.) I plan on sending a complaint and I urge you to do so as well so this has a better chance of getting addressed.

• LauraC829LauraC829 Alum Member
    edited December 2017 218 karma

@"Darth Vader" @Kathp472 Really glad I'm not alone in this! I'll definitely be sending my complaint. I'm going to retake in Feb. and will probably ask if they can make it free as they did that for a friend who took it in June at Wagner too (and complained for phone, other noises).

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I think they should take more steps to ensure that there isn't disruption. I hope you contact them about these concerns and that other students also contact them.

• fudgiethequailfudgiethequail Core Member
    edited December 2017 75 karma

Was this Wagner?

218 karma

@Veronica_ said:
    Was this Wagner?

Yes

218 karma

Does anyone know whether this type of LSAC letter can be helpful? Or would it do more harm than good?

"LSAC can include a letter in your file to inform the law school(s) to which you apply of the
    circumstances under which you took the test and your concern regarding their effect on your score."

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

I believe that all complaints must be received within 6 days of the test for LSAC to do anything about it.

edited December 2017 218 karma

@uhinberg said:
    I believe that all complaints must be received within 6 days of the test for LSAC to do anything about it.

I submitted and they're now offering this letter for law schools to see. Not sure if it's helpful?

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

@LauraC829 said:

@uhinberg said:

I submitted and they're now offering this letter for law schools to see. Not sure if it's helpful?

If the letter doesn't change your score for rankings purposes (maybe it allows the school to exclude you from their reported numbers?), it's unlikely to matter a whole lot unless it's between you and someone with a similar score. So I assume the letter would act as a soft on your application, but this is just me hypothesizing since a lot of admissions is numbers driven.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

I would agree 100 percent with @Mitchell-1 The letter may explain your score, but it doesn't change the affect it has on school X's rankings. I would include it anyways, but don't expect it to open magical doors for you. Unfortunately a 162 with terrible conditions doesn't equate to a 169 with perfect conditions, so shirt retaking, they have to treat you as a 162.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@LauraC829 said:

@uhinberg said:

It might be especially useful as a sort of credible score change addendum if you improve on your next take.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I think it's helpful because it shows there were factors beyond your control during the test.

218 karma

Thanks for your input! Definitely accepting it! @lsatplaylist @"Seeking Perfection" @tylerdschreur10 @Mitchell-1