Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How often

shane.mcglashenshane.mcglashen Alum Member
edited January 2015 in General 194 karma
Hey guys,

I was curious how often during an LR section do you try or prefer to write out the conditional logic?

Do you only do it when you generally HAVE to, or do you prefer it to simplify the situation at hand?

When you see a logical indicator do you immediately chart it, or does it ALWAYS depend on the question stem?

I'm wondering if I'm wasting time charting conditional statements when they aren't actually relevant.

Comments

• Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    I only do it when it seems necessary -- maybe 3 times per section.
  • Wombat15Wombat15 Member
    67 karma
    The only times I diagram on LR questions are SA and MBT problems that have an outrageous amount of conditional language and pieces to work with. I was taught that diagramming on LR sections are like training wheels. If you're just starting out or if you're unfamiliar and uncomfortable trying to mentally solve it, then diagram. Eventually you'll get to a point where you can mentally juggle the pieces in a given stimulus and use your intuition to find the correct answer choice. But the crucial thing is that you don't want to let diagramming become a permanent crutch. Diagram if you don't understand it, but if you feel like you can take on a problem without putting anything on paper, do it.
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    802 karma
    Like @combat, I diagrammed for MBT questions but also for PF and PR. I didn't do it for anything else on a first look. If I had to skip it to come back at the end (if I had time) I might use it if I thought it would help.

Instead of diagramming each time you see the indicator, why not circle it? That's what I did, or I would put my pencil there until I saw the next one. That helped me find nested arguments too.

Also, if you've not been studying long, keep doing this until you are really deep into the PTs. The practice is good for repetition.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    edited January 2015 2116 karma
    I diagram maybe 1-3 times per both LR sections.
    I took PT 43 today and had to diagram only once.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    578 karma
    You should diagram only when you see a lot of S & N conditional statements. Those are typically the stimulus that contains 2-3 sentences.