Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Application hell and consultants

So I like many others am currently waiting for LSAC to publish last Saturday's results. Is it to much to ask that they post results within 4 days of taking the exam? So I have switched gears to seriously getting out applications. I have started looking at consultants to help fine tune my personal statement and my resume. I am worried that with my gpa already locked in and my LSAT score up in the air, I could be on the line for my dream school. My GPA is dead in between the 25% and 50%. I just need help making sure I sound good on paper in case my LSAT score comes back in the 25% as well. Any advice? I don't have thousands to spend on making myself look bright and shiny, and I have a good resume and what I think is a good personal statement. I just would feel 50% better about all of this if I knew my personal statement wasn't a pile of poo. Anyone have any recommendations? I feel like I am pretty open to all of the options, but also pretty frugal as well, as we all know that law school wont be cheap by any means. TIA!!

Comments

• dml277dml277 Alum Member
    775 karma

If you’re still in undergrad, the prelaw advisor should be a good free resource to check over your PS. If you have good mentor relationship with a professor, that might be another option too.

• liza.bennettliza.bennett Alum Member
    108 karma

@dml277 said:
    If you’re still in undergrad, the prelaw advisor should be a good free resource to check over your PS. If you have good mentor relationship with a professor, that might be another option too.

I am no longer in undergrad. I graduated in 2016. But I suppose I could ask some old professors. Or a friend who I think was an English major. She might have more time than the professors who are dealing with dead week and finals. Thanks!!

• CoolHandGregCoolHandGreg Alum Member
    7 karma

@"liza.bennett" said:

@dml277 said:

I am no longer in undergrad. I graduated in 2016. But I suppose I could ask some old professors. Or a friend who I think was an English major. She might have more time than the professors who are dealing with dead week and finals. Thanks!!

I am an older applicant and graduated many years ago. I reached out to my undergrad's career center and was put in touch with the pre-law advisor. Your school might be different, but I am pretty sure any college would love to see their alumni get into a great law school - they're probably willing to help you out.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@"liza.bennett"

When I was writing/revising my personal statement I sent it to professors that I knew and trusted, and whose work I had read before (aka - whose writing I really enjoyed).

I'm sure some of your professors from undergrad would be willing to do a once-over on your personal statement - if not for content, at least for grammar :smile:

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

@dml277 said:

Yep Alumni can use them too. Also check your LSAC account and they assign you 1-2 prepare advisors and provide their email addresses. Not sure what it looks like under the new website design but it was easy to see on the old one