Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Podcasts while foolproofing Logic Games?

Hi all, although this is my first time posting, I've already been studying for the LSAT starting from September. As such, I'm decently familiar with the general structure of logic games.

My question to everyone is, do you think it's counterproductive to listen to podcasts while re-doing logic games from previous PTs that I've already done? It's in my nature to try to do multiple things at one time, but I'm wondering if I'm hurting my retention of the game inferences by listening to a podcast in the background. Obviously I do not do podcasts while practicing the other LSAT sections, however logic games are just more tedious because I'll re-do each one at least 5 times if not more during foolproofing, and I really like the extra stimulation of sound in the background. Am I the only one who does this?

Comments

• L.EtrangerL.Etranger Alum Member
    72 karma

Btw if anyone is interested in criminal law, I'm currently listening to Ear Hustle. It's actually recorded in a California jail by two inmates. I recommend everyone check it out!

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I would not do it.
    1. You're not going to be listening to the podcast during the real exam.
    2. The notion that humans can successfully multitask, without diminished returns, has pretty much been dismissed.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

I wouldn't do this.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

No I wouldn't do this.

If I were you I would be studying with no music in a public place. Like a library that is sort of busy. This will get you used to tuning out randomized outside noise.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Heard an episode and liked it, though, so I'm with you on being a fan. :)

72 karma

@"Paul Caint" good idea on the neutral noise! I don't like studying anywhere too quiet because it's certainly not what test conditions will be like either.

• Trust But VerifyTrust But Verify Alum Member
    432 karma

@"L.Etranger" said:
    Btw if anyone is interested in criminal law, I'm currently listening to Ear Hustle. It's actually recorded in a California jail by two inmates. I recommend everyone check it out!

One of my favorite podcast. Radiotopia has alot of good stuff

• zanesbitzanesbit Alum Member
    102 karma

Doesn't make sense to do in my opinion. Download the 7Sage app and take time PTs or LR sections using Proctor mode. You can add white noise and distractions via the app on a scale of 1-10. It includes yawns, coughs, sneezes, erasing sounds, etc. on a loop. Still not the same as test day conditions, but it helps.

edited December 2017 72 karma

@zanesbit thanks! I'm really basic so I just use my phone timer for tests. The app background noises may draw some awkward stares in the quiet section of the library where I tend to sit :P

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Ear Hustle! I love that podcast!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@"L.Etranger" said:
    @zanesbit thanks! I'm really basic so I just use my phone timer for tests. The app background noises may draw some awkward stares in the quiet section of the library where I tend to sit :P

If you are in a library, there is no need to generate background noise. Just sit in a busier section of the library and enjoy the naturally generated annoying background noise.

72 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

If you are in a library, there is no need to generate background noise. Just sit in a busier section of the library and enjoy the naturally generated annoying background noise.

Unfortunately the quiet section of my university library is already loud! That's it's own discussion though.

• zanesbitzanesbit Alum Member
    102 karma

So true!

@"L.Etranger" said:

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

Unfortunately the quiet section of my university library is already loud! That's it's own discussion though.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

Worlds colliding! I love Ear Hustle.