Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is "rigmarole" an ok word to use in my personal statement

_oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member

didn't know what other word to use for unnecessary BS

Comments

• lawschool33lawschool33 Member
    100 karma

I think it’s too informal/casual. What exactly are you trying to say? Maybe I can help you find the right word.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Ugh I freakin' love that word...

But other people probably think it's weird :disappointed:

• humanbeinghumanbeing Member
    18 karma

Consider: ordeal.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Why not? It's a personal statement. And while it should be well written, it's ok to use words like rigamarole if it works in whatever context you're using it in.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

I wouldn't use this word, personally. You want to use the 'right word' as often as you possibly can in your statements, and I see this word being the 'right word' hardly ever.

"Ordeal" was suggested as a replacement. That is pretty good, I think.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I scratched it out and just used a few more words to explain the ordeal to make it more personal

• Keane XavierKeane Xavier Alum Member
    171 karma

I don't see a problem with using any word that captures what you intend to convey. Rather, I think an appropriate question to ask yourself might be: why am I writing about rigmarole in my personal statement? Is this pertinent?

• zanesbitzanesbit Alum Member
    102 karma

If you have to ask you're already second guessing yourself...keep it simple and organic.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@"Keane Xavier" said:
    I don't see a problem with using any word that captures what you intend to convey. Rather, I think an appropriate question to ask yourself might be: why am I writing about rigmarole in my personal statement? Is this pertinent?

Uh yeah my story about being discriminated against due to being an immigrant and having to repeatedly deal with the same bs was important to my story.

@zanesbit I agree. I made a lot of word choice edits to the final draft of my PS to make it sound "smarter" but ended up deleting most of the edits and stuck with what I originally wrote. It was starting to lose the human element and sounded inorganic. I've stopped nitpicking at it.

• zanesbitzanesbit Alum Member
    102 karma

I bet it's awesome! People like realness, good luck!

@"surfy surf" said:

@"Keane Xavier" said:

Uh yeah my story about being discriminated against due to being an immigrant and having to repeatedly deal with the same bs was important to my story.

@zanesbit I agree. I made a lot of word choice edits to the final draft of my PS to make it sound "smarter" but ended up deleting most of the edits and stuck with what I originally wrote. It was starting to lose the human element and sounded inorganic. I've stopped nitpicking at it.