Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it bad to state in an essay exactly the area of law you want to practice?

himynameisjenhimynameisjen Member
edited October 2017 in Law School Admissions 52 karma

Hi all,

I've been working as a real estate law clerk for the past two years and although I kind of accidentally fell into real estate (I graduated in journalism) I actually really enjoy it.

I'm finishing up my law school applications (due Nov 1. in Canada) and in one of my personal statements I've stated outright that I know I wanted to become a real estate lawyer.

Could stating this hurt my application in any way? I may be overthinking this, but I keep thinking that someone who reads my essay might think I won't pay attention or do my best in other areas of law during school since I know real estate law is what I want to practice.

Help!

Comments

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

Def. not if your essay ties into a real world experience (like being a law clerk) that has inspired you to pursue x,y,z law.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I don't think so. I'm talking about how I want to pursue some kind of government/public policy work. I don't think it's ever bad to indicate if you have a specific reason for going to law school.

• himynameisjenhimynameisjen Member
    52 karma

@sillllyxo said:
    Def. not if your essay ties into a real world experience (like being a law clerk) that has inspired you to pursue x,y,z law.

Thank you!

52 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    I don't think so. I'm talking about how I want to pursue some kind of government/public policy work. I don't think it's ever bad to indicate if you have a specific reason for going to law school.

Thank you, that definitely makes me feel better!

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

No from what I've heard not at all. In fact, on a call with Admissions Extraordinaire ;-) David Busis, I was told that I should highlight my desire to do HR and Employment law since it is not a 'popular' field for most students. This might give me a leg up and make my application stand out for being unique.

52 karma

@tringo335 said:
    No from what I've heard not at all. In fact, on a call with Admissions Extraordinaire ;-) David Busis, I was told that I should highlight my desire to do HR and Employment law since it is not a 'popular' field for most students. This might give me a leg up and make my application stand out for being unique.

Thank you so much!

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

I asked this question at a law school event and the Stanford Dean said there is no need to specify what field of law you want to go into but if that's the reason you want to go to law school--by all means, write about it. Basically she said, it's cool if you know what kind of law you want to practice after law school, but it's also cool if you don't. :)

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    edited September 2020 2054 karma

I am operating from a more academic perspective after grad school, which is not the same as law school academics, but showing that you have a specific research interest or career interest shows intellectual drive. Almost any grad school is not going to admit a PhD candidate for example unless they can talk about what area they are interested in researching. For law school it is different but if you can talk intelligently about what interests you have in real estate law I think it is an advantage. Just make sure it fits into your personal statement sensibly. It will also really help you in Why school X essays if you are applying to schools with good real estate law programs or that have clinics in housing/real estate law.

I am basing my PS around experiences I have had and how they relate to an interest in a specific branch of human rights law. I feel good about that topic.