Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Academic LORs for older students

ApplicantNYCApplicantNYC Free Trial Member

I graduated undergrad in 1997. There is 1 professor who I'm still in touch with, and he would write me a fine LOR. But I doubt he really remembers my academic performance from 20 years ago. My other LORs are from judges and other prominent legal types who know me much better. Would the absence of an academic LOR seem suspect, or is it understood that older students don't generally have them? Many thanks.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@newellnyc said:
    I graduated undergrad in 1997. There is 1 professor who I'm still in touch with, and he would write me a fine LOR. But I doubt he really remembers my academic performance from 20 years ago. My other LORs are from judges and other prominent legal types who know me much better. Would the absence of an academic LOR seem suspect, or is it understood that older students don't generally have them? Many thanks.

The absence of academic LOR won't seem suspect at all, especially since you graduated 20 years ago.

You'd be best served by getting a couple of LORs from your current or past employers. LORs from judges and other prominent legal types can be helpful, but really only if they can speak to work you've done for them.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

If you're non-traditional, you may be alright. How do you know the "judges and prominent legal types"? Through work?

• ApplicantNYCApplicantNYC Free Trial Member
    10 karma

I know them all fairly well. My professional work involves the election of judges. But perhaps a direct employer is better?

@"Alex Divine" said:
    The absence of academic LOR won't seem suspect at all, especially since you graduated 20 years ago.

You'd be best served by getting a couple of LORs from your current or past employers. LORs from judges and other prominent legal types can be helpful, but really only if they can speak to work you've done for them.

@newellnyc said:
    I know them all fairly well. My professional work involves the election of judges. But perhaps a direct employer is better?

@"Alex Divine" said:

Employer LORs and a great diversity statement explaining how your professional life contributed to your desire to go to law school should be all most schools will need.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@newellnyc said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

If you've done work directly for them, I think they could be somewhat helpful. Although, without knowing more details, I would think direct LORs from your employer may be preferable. You want letters that can speak to your ability as a law student and a future lawyer. Many times when people have judges or other elected officials write them LORs, they tend to be generic and weak as a result of them being more favors than anything else.

• StothentothekStothentothek Free Trial Member
    69 karma

I contacted the admissions depts I was applying to directly, and both schools told me that in the absence of academic LOR's, professional references would be accepted. Both schools also requested a statement explaining my use of professional references instead of academic. One school had a field for this right on the application, the other just requested an emailed statement. I have taken my undergrad online over the past 12 years, and my only interaction with profs was them grading my assignments and exams. My employer and volunteer references were both easier for me to get and probably give a much better picture of who I am than a letter that just discusses what my transcripts already show. I would check with the schools you are interested in!

@Stothentothek said:
    I contacted the admissions depts I was applying to directly, and both schools told me that in the absence of academic LOR's, professional references would be accepted. Both schools also requested a statement explaining my use of professional references instead of academic. One school had a field for this right on the application, the other just requested an emailed statement. I have taken my undergrad online over the past 12 years, and my only interaction with profs was them grading my assignments and exams. My employer and volunteer references were both easier for me to get and probably give a much better picture of who I am than a letter that just discusses what my transcripts already show. I would check with the schools you are interested in!

Considering your circumstances, I would imagine you should make it through admissions fairly easily depending on your GPA and LSAT. Your circumstances are unique, and definitely not in a way that makes you somehow less qualified than your average 25-year-old college graduate.