Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

December score on applications

Hi- This may sound like a silly question, but I just wanted to double check and make sure----- how do we indicate on our application that we want the law school to WAIT for my December score?

I want to go ahead and apply as soon as possible to law schools because I know it's best to go ahead and submit applications as early as possible (now that it's December) but I want them to use my December 2017 score. Since it hasn't been released yet, how do I make it clear on the applications on LSAC that I want them to WAIT and consider my December 2017 score?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma

Contact each school directly to confirm. When you submit your app it will show that you've taken the Dec test but once you apply to each school they'll normally send a confirmation email with information for status checker, I'd reply to that email politely confirming that you are awaiting your December test score.

• todduncan2todduncan2 Member
    60 karma

Second what dytmom_3x said. Some schools will automatically hold the app if there is a pending score and will refuse to evaluate it until the pending score is released. Some schools’ apps will have a checkbox for “hold my application until a pending score is released” checkbox; others will write you and ask if you want it held or processed as is. You can also just email them when you’ve paid LSAC and the file has been requested giving them a heads up.

I had this situation and actually had some schools process with an older score after they confirmed that if they admitted without scholarships that they would reconsider scholarships with a new, better score. I also had them confirm that they would reconsider the app with a new higher score if admission was refused without a second application fee (they all said they would). I got into my first choice school the day before the Dec test with an old score so it was a good strategy for me.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@dytmom_3x said:
    Contact each school directly to confirm. When you submit your app it will show that you've taken the Dec test but once you apply to each school they'll normally send a confirmation email with information for status checker, I'd reply to that email politely confirming that you are awaiting your December test score.

Yup -- definitely reach out to the schools you intend on applying to and let them know. As @todduncan2 aid above me, some will automatically hold your app, but better safe than sorry

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Application stuff when it comes to movement should be slowing down soon before the holidays (per spivey's twitter). So I say just wait for your December score since there would be no point in submitting right now since the likelihood of anything happening is low, at least imo.

With that being said, there are schools that will hold your app automatically, but some will make decisions. Just contact the school(s).

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

@TheMikey said:
    Application stuff when it comes to movement should be slowing down soon before the holidays (per spivey's twitter). So I say just wait for your December score since there would be no point in submitting right now since the likelihood of anything happening is low, at least imo.

With that being said, there are schools that will hold your app automatically, but some will make decisions. Just contact the school(s).

This is not true. I would disregard this advice @HereisSara, because in January, schools review applications based on the confirmation time/date that they were submitted, even if no one was in the office when it arrived. So the sooner your turn it in, the sooner in the stack you'll be reviewed--which is very good.

Another note that I would highly recommend: it sounds like you've already got a score in your record. Especially if this score is likely to be far below your December score (maybe 5, even 3 points difference), I would write an LSAT addendum directly into your applications that explains the circumstances of why your earlier score was lower as a way of communicating that you retook in December. Whether it be to test-day nerves or illness (I wouldn't say that "I wasn't prepared" because that won't go over well), your reader will have questions about why you retook anyway--so this approach does double duty.

You can simply state in that addendum something to the effect that "I do not believe that the September test [or whichever it is] does not represent my best abilities because of X, Y, Z and I will retake the test in December". This leaves open the possibility that your December score incidentally comes back lower than your previous one (which it won't :B).

I would also make sure that the school actually DOES hold applications because some schools don't (like UT, for example). In which case, yes, wait until January to actually submit the application.

You should also email them to hold the application too as a courtesy.

TL;DR: I recommend putting it in a specific LSAT addendum because your application reader will definitely read it before reviewing your application, will thus definitely set it aside, and because they might have questions about a retake.

4196 karma

+120

4196 karma

@"nicolas.saw" said:

This is not true. I would disregard this advice @HereisSara, because in January, schools review applications based on the confirmation time/date that they were submitted, even if no one was in the office when it arrived. So the sooner your turn it in, the sooner in the stack you'll be reviewed--which is very good.

Another note that I would highly recommend: it sounds like you've already got a score in your record. Especially if this score is likely to be far below your December score (maybe 5, even 3 points difference), I would write an LSAT addendum directly into your applications that explains the circumstances of why your earlier score was lower as a way of communicating that you retook in December. Whether it be to test-day nerves or illness (I wouldn't say that "I wasn't prepared" because that won't go over well), your reader will have questions about why you retook anyway--so this approach does double duty.

You can simply state in that addendum something to the effect that "I do not believe that the September test [or whichever it is] does not represent my best abilities because of X, Y, Z and I will retake the test in December". This leaves open the possibility that your December score incidentally comes back lower than your previous one (which it won't :B).

I would also make sure that the school actually DOES hold applications because some schools don't (like UT, for example). In which case, yes, wait until January to actually submit the application.

TL;DR: I recommend putting it in a specific LSAT addendum because your application reader will definitely read it before reviewing your application, will thus definitely set it aside, and because they might have questions about a retake.

I agree they should contact the schools. I don't think an addendum going in-depth is needed, but they should definitely contact the school in some way to just let them know to wait, assuming the school doesn't do that automatically.

But do we know if submitting now (and having your app as incomplete and on hold) would keep your app above others once the December scores come in? I don't really know if that's the case, but if it is then great! But I was under the impression that schools roughly check apps based on the apps complete date, and if someone isn't going to go complete until the December scores come out, wouldn't it be about the same as submitting now vs the same night scores drop? I mean there are schools that have your app go complete within like a day and others within like 2 weeks or even more I guess depending on the school, but idk. Do you know what the exact case is?

• olioliberolioliber Alum Member
    729 karma

They will not review your application until you get the score. I would wait for the score, make sure it's solid, then send

711 karma

@TheMikey said:

@"nicolas.saw" said:

I agree they should contact the schools. I don't think an addendum going in-depth is needed, but they should definitely contact the school in some way to just let them know to wait, assuming the school doesn't do that automatically.

But do we know if submitting now (and having your app as incomplete and on hold) would keep your app above others once the December scores come in? I don't really know if that's the case, but if it is then great! But I was under the impression that schools roughly check apps based on the apps complete date, and if someone isn't going to go complete until the December scores come out, wouldn't it be about the same as submitting now vs the same night scores drop? I mean there are schools that have your app go complete within like a day and others within like 2 weeks or even more I guess depending on the school, but idk. Do you know what the exact case is?

And to respond to @olioliber :

The order of review is based on submission date, not completion date, at least for some T14 schools. So it benefits you to turn it in ASAP.

Here is an email from UC Berkeley admissions saying exactly this:

"Mr. nicolas.saw,

Thank you for your interest in Berkeley Law. If a candidate is registered for future LSAT and/or the future score is pending, it is our policy to not complete a file until LSAC reports the score. At that time, we will complete the file and notify you electronically that it is complete and under review.

Additionally, we strongly encourage all candidates to submit an application as early as possible even if there is no reported LSAT score. Because the volume of applications increases greatly in January and the December score will not post until then, the order in which we review is based on the submission date. Applications submitted earlier in the cycle will be reviewed first (e.g., files submitted with today's date) and will receive a notification sooner rather than receive a later response.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact our office by email or at (510) 642-2274.

Sincerely,"

I've been hearing this bad advice all across this forum. Not sure if it's because people are getting bad advice from elsewhere, because they're trying to sabotage, or because they want an excuse to sleep on their own applications.

Quick procrastinating. Turn that shit in. :)

Re an addendum: some schools (like USC) require that you submit an LSAT addendum if your tests show a 5 point differential. It's a flag for readers and having no explanation makes it hard for schools to known where your true abilities are (granted, most will take your highest score anyway). I just opt for more disclosure on applications because it makes it easier for readers to know your circumstances better because, well, that what readers are hoping to understand through applications.

TL;DR: Ask the school if they hold applications. If they do, turn it in ASAP because that school may review in order of date of submission like UCB does.

edited December 2017 4196 karma

@"nicolas.saw" said:
    TL;DR: Ask the school if they hold applications. If they do, turn it in ASAP because that school may review in order of date of submission like UCB does.

I agree with this, OP.

• sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    edited December 2017 1501 karma

@"nicolas.saw" said:
    I've been hearing this bad advice all across this forum. Not sure if it's because people are getting bad advice from elsewhere, because they're trying to sabotage, or because they want an excuse to sleep on their own applications.

Agreed! I am seeing it too, people saying too wait. I think that is coming from people that just don't know for certain. From personal experience, I have had schools tell me to submit asap and they will hold it. Seems to be the general consensus. I only stress to just contact the schools directly and see what they say. I sent one email BC to 10 schools and they all kindly replied to submit asap rather than wait til score arrives.

711 karma

@dytmom_3x said:

@"nicolas.saw" said:

Agreed! I am seeing it too, people saying too wait. I think that is coming from people that just don't know for certain. From personal experience, I have had schools tell me to submit asap and they will hold it. Seems to be the general consensus. I only stress to just contact the schools directly and see what they say. I sent one email BC to 10 schools and they all kindly replied to submit asap rather than wait til score arrives.

Nice! Way to be efficient. :)

I made the mistake of turning in an application to a school that doesn't hold them without asking them first (UT) and they were like "Whelp, we will probably just go ahead and review it anyway even with your pending score and we may reject you, but you can appeal if you like".

But appealing is very bad. Schools rarely change their minds. But I think even in those situations, they will either waitlist you (if they like you) or will just delay your application anyway (particularly since January is not that far away).

Best of luck!

• HereisSaraHereisSara Alum Member
    edited December 2017 65 karma

@"nicolas.saw"

Thank you for the advice. I just in-boxed you a few more questions.

Thank you so much!