Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resume

How should I include part-time and volunteer work that took place in between the time I was employed full-time. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

https://law.yale.edu/student-life/career-development/students/toolkit-student-job-seekers/resume-advice-samples

Go down to the bottom and click on the hyperlink for the 'Sample Resumes, Cover Letters, and Thank You Letters.'

Also, feel free to read the advice.

• This is helpful, but unfortunately none of the info is directly related to my question.

There were a couple of months were I did volunteer and part-time work. I don't want each item to take up a separate line in my resume, but the experiences are different enough that I don't know if I can put them all on the same line. I refer to them on my employment gap addendum, but I would like to include them on my resume as well.

Any help for this specific question would be much appreciated!

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited December 2017 9377 karma

I think I would write:

Experience
    XYZ, Inc., New York, NY
    Title, part-time

ABC, Inc., New York, NY
    Title, full-time

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

If I'm reading your question right, you can do what the above post said or you could write the hours next to the position (ex. 26 hrs/week)

• I'm more asking that I don't want to individualize each of my part-time/volunteer work during this period, but I want to include it on my resume.

Do I have to say:

Experience
    Current, full-time position x-present
    -Description

Past, part-time position 1 x-x
    -Description

Past, part-time position 2 x-x
    -Description

Past, full-time position y-y

OR, can I say:

Experience
    Current, full-time position x-present
    -Description

Past, part-time position 1 and 2 x-x (positions have same duration)
    -Description
    -Description

Past, full-time position y-y

861 karma

Are these positions at different companies? If so, I personally would choose the first option. If you don't want to individualize each position, then maybe you should question what they add to your resume? Or is it a matter of not having enough space for the info?

• It’s a matter of space.

My apologies if I wasn’t clear about that.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@akistotle said:
    I think I would write:

Experience
    XYZ, Inc., New York, NY
    Title, part-time

ABC, Inc., New York, NY
    Title, full-time

Yup, this format is what I've put on my resume :)

• Right. Again, it’s not a matter of specifying part-time vs full-time. I just want to include some stuff I did between full time employment without giving each volunteer/part-time position it’s own line because of space concerns.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

@"J.D.s_maketheworldbetter" said:
    Right. Again, it’s not a matter of specifying part-time vs full-time. I just want to include some stuff I did between full time employment without giving each volunteer/part-time position it’s own line because of space concerns.

Give us an example. Write it out. lol

861 karma

@"J.D.s_maketheworldbetter" said:
    It’s a matter of space.

My apologies if I wasn’t clear about that.

Oh okay. Yeah I was a little confused lol.

How long is your resume when you give each position its own space? I don't recommend combining the lines.

• StrangerThanFiction175StrangerThanFiction175 Free Trial Member
    99 karma

I would have one section dedicated to work/professional experience and another section dedicated to volunteer/service learning. If space is a concern, consult the application instructions. Most schools don't have a space limitation and explicitly advice against the one-page standard (assuming you have more experience that would merit you go over the one-page standard). If a school does say limit your resume to one-page, you'll have to ask yourself if you want to dedicate space to your volunteer work, or if other aspects of your background are more relevant. Hope this helps!

• Great! Thanks