Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is 10 weeks long enough

sophia94sophia94 Member
edited September 2018 in February 2018 LSAT 9 karma

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Really hard to tell. The industry (LSAT studying) standard says at least 3 months. I believe that is actually too short of a time period. I have seen it occur more often then not that people need 6+ months to improve that dramatically.

It's all individual based however. Maybe you pick up the logic of the test quickly and are able to do it. It's just really hard to know!

One piece of advice however would be to not take the test until you consistently are scoring a couple of points higher than your goal score and you feel comfortable with the test. It's not worth rushing into the test if you are not prepared. You risk hurting your confidence and it's something you really shouldn't rush yourself into.

That's my thoughts on it!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

That’s a really tough timeline. Some people can make that jump relatively quickly, many people study for upwards of a year to break into that range. If you’re one of the people who can do it relatively quickly, you’re still cutting it really close.

My advice:

You missed this cycle. Even if you do pull off the LSAT you need, it puts you applying at the bitter end of things with rushed personal statements and LORs. You’re at a disadvantage on every front. Next cycle, you’ll likely be ahead of the curve and can apply with a much stronger score from a position of strength. It’s too late to begin thinking about applying for law school this cycle. You’re right on time for next cycle though. I did the same thing when I first started. It’s just so much more involved than I could have imagined starting out. So get to work. You’ve got a lot to do if you’re going to be ready for next year. Whatever you do though, you’re in the right place. 7Sage is the best LSAT prep out there, the most supportive community of LSAT students/law school applicants, and I think is now the best admissions consulting as well. Good luck!

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

@"h.warsamee" said:
    Hi,

I'm thinking about taking the February 2018 LSAT. My diagnostic score was 147 and I am aiming for at least 160. Would 10 weeks be enough to increase my score by 13 points. I am currently studying 7 hours on weekdays and close to 10 hours on the weekends.

No, probably not. You can't rush it by marathon studying. Rest is important.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2017 23929 karma

@"h.warsamee" said:
    Hi,

I'm thinking about taking the February 2018 LSAT. My diagnostic score was 147 and I am aiming for at least 160. Would 10 weeks be enough to increase my score by 13 points. I am currently studying 7 hours on weekdays and close to 10 hours on the weekends.

Of course no one can divine whether or not you'll be able to, but I wouldn't count on it. Not trying to discourage you, but rather help you shift your mindset into thinking more long term and realistic. A 13-point increase is a big one. And a 147 diagnostic means you have lots to learn, which is actually a good thing. It's a lot easier to jump 13 points from 147-160 than 157-170.

However, if you're able to 40+ hours a week, it might be possible. I just think the issue comes with having enough time to go through a curriculum, drill, and take enough PTs. Also, many times people set a goal score (160) and than realize pretty quickly they are capable of much, much more. If you lock yourself into February, you may never give yourself time to reach that potential.

Last, and certainly not least, February is too late in the cycle to apply to most schools. So you may as well just set your sights on June. I think 6 months is way more realistic for that 13-point increase than 10 weeks.

Good luck :star:

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@"h.warsamee" said:
    Hi,

It really depends on every person, and it's really hard to tell. I think it depends on your diagnostic score breakdown. If you are pretty good in RC and your weakest section is LG, it might be possible by focusing on perfecting LG.

Good luck :smiley:

• alaa.11alaa.11 Free Trial Member
    33 karma

My advice to you would be not to risk your potential by rushing into the exam and not getting the best score you could've gotten had you waited. The LSAT is no joke and unfortunately if you're applying within north America, your score may be what gets you in or out of law school. You want to do the best you can and 10 weeks just isn't enough time to do that, it would be very challenging to crack into the 160s with such a short amount of time allotted to study. I would not recommend only spending 10 weeks.

• Charlesroy100Charlesroy100 Member
    43 karma

NO! I had a similar diagnostic score. No. No. No. No. You need time to absorb this material. If this was a pure memorization test then definitely yes. But again, if you have to ask...No!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

My diagnostic was 140. Took me over a year to get 160 on official take. Don't discount test day nerves and lsat test center randomness and other variables which may bring down your score by a couple points. Dont aim for a date, aim for a score and then set the date when you are ready.

• saberatisaberati Alum Member
    edited December 2017 94 karma

Go for it. If you don't get what you're aiming for then you'll have a much better idea of what you need to do to get there.