Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

getting deported in PS

usernameusername Alum Member

I am getting ready to write my personal statement and I'm considering touching on the fact that I worked while on the wrong visa (illegally) while abroad for years (and years). I was then detained and deported (deported light, not technically deported but visa cancelled, kicked out of the country and only the most minimum restrictions on returning). This is after my passport was withheld from me for a month while the company was being investigated. In the end, the company negotiated some 'fines' and I really got the worst of it, largely because my visa had expired during the period it was being held by the police. I was able to return shortly thereafter.

My question is whether or not my willful acceptance of working in that legal grey, although admittedly a dark grey, area should preclude me from addressing the topic?

What do you think?
  1. Should I avoid the topic?26 votes
    1. Avoid the topic
      69.23%
    2. Address the topic
      30.77%

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

This is a hard one and I think it's going to largely be contingent on the rest of the PS and what kind of story is portrays. I think other details matter here, too. I can always understand when people are in the US illegally because their parents brought them or had them here. It's no fault of their own and I don't think anyone should be punished in that case.

In your case, however, it seems to me like you willingly broke the law or at least operated knowingly in a legal gray area. If that's the case, I probably would forgo writing about it for your PS. Ultimately I think the questions and ethical concerns it may raise won't be worth it, even if it would make for a good PS.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited December 2017 4423 karma

So just to be clear, you knew you were working on the wrong visa? Or it was an accident?

If it was an accident, I think there is not too much danger here. You want to be in a position to understand the law and inform people of it because no one was in that position for you.

If you knew, then at the very least, you are going to want to express contrition. Additionally, I wouldn't say anything like that it was a dark grey legal area in the statement since the reader might see it as flat out illegal. You intended to break the law, you broke the law, and then you got caught.

Anyways if you are going to write this not a mistake version of the essay first make sure the admission of guilt doesn't place you in any further legal or career jeopardy. Then be very clear that you know it was wrong to break the law, that you regret doing so, that you are grateful it ended up being a light deportation and not more severe legal jeopardy, and explain how the experience inspired you to want to be a lawyer.

Edit: I don't think you can just mention this in passing. It is either your essay or some other subject is.

• alaa.11alaa.11 Free Trial Member
    33 karma

Whether the action was accident or intentional I don't really think writing that you had partaken in illegal activities of any sort will strengthen your personal statement. You can write about aspects of the experience such as being abroad having your visa expire causing you to be detained while you were investigated can be expressed if it is done right and you can elaborate on how that experience made such an impact in your life that it encouraged you to take up law.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

This topic is risky. Did this event specifically motivate to be a lawyer? Even if a PS need not illustrate why you want to be a lawyer it should illustrate who you are on paper. I read some law school FAQs and some admissions officers warn applicants about provoking a TMI response. I think the cost of raising too many red flags about working in the grey area outweighs the uniqueness of this topic.