Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Statement: Title or blank?

Maximus4Maximus4 Alum Member
in General 206 karma

Hey guys so im not sure if I am suppose to put a title on my personal statement, need some help here.

Title
  1. Does the personal statement need to have a title?26 votes
    1. Yes
        7.69%
    2. No
      92.31%

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

You’ll need a header (with your name, LSAC number, and “Personal Statement 1 (page number)”), but I don’t think you should have a special title for your statement.

• Maximus4Maximus4 Alum Member
    206 karma

@akistotle said:
    You’ll need a header (with your name, LSAC number, and “Personal Statement 1 (page number)”), but I don’t think you should have a special title for your statement.

Got it, I'm a bit confused about this:
    So would it be Personal Statement 1 on the first page and Personal Statement 2 on the second?

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Google "personal statement header law school"
    Smith, John 1
    LSAC Account #:
    Personal Statement

Hit insert page number on the header so that each page has its own page number...as you would in your high school and college papers...

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@Maximus4 said:

@akistotle said:

Got it, I'm a bit confused about this:
    So would it be Personal Statement 1 on the first page and Personal Statement 2 on the second?

7Sage Admission Course has a format sample on this page:
    https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/how-to-format-your-law-school-personal-statement/

You can download a Word docx file!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

The plurality of advice seems to say not to title it, however I was not raised so poorly that I could fail to title an essay.

In my opinion it is a matter of necessity to title all essays if not out of professionalism, then out of humanity.

It also gives the reader a clear main point to crystalize in their mind.

Even if it is(for some unimaginable reason) a disadvantage in law school applications to title your work, you should anyway. There are more important things than what school you get into. Everyone must draw an ethical line somewhere and this is mine. I wouldn't cheat to get into a law school, I wouldn't bribe someone to get into a law school, I won't hire someone to help with my application which I consider a deeply unethical way of buying an outcome(no offense to the enablers in 7sage's admissions help), and finally, I will not skip titling an essay.

I say some of this partially in jest, but it is also all completely true.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    The plurality of advice seems to say not to title it, however I was not raised so poorly that I could fail to title an essay.

In my opinion it is a matter of necessity to title all essays if not out of professionalism, then out of humanity.

It also gives the reader a clear main point to crystalize in their mind.

Even if it is(for some unimaginable reason) a disadvantage in law school applications to title your work, you should anyway. There are more important things than what school you get into. Everyone must draw an ethical line somewhere and this is mine. I wouldn't cheat to get into a law school, I wouldn't bribe someone to get into a law school, I won't hire someone to help with my application which I consider a deeply unethical way of buying an outcome(no offense to the enablers in 7sage's admissions help), and finally, I will not skip titling an essay.

I say some of this partially in jest, but it is also all completely true.

lol yeah it does seem a bit barbaric/unnecessary to not title.

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

But...what if a title would put you one sentence over the 2 page limit? :weary: asking for a friend ofc

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

@xtinextine said:
    But...what if a title would put you one sentence over the 2 page limit? :weary: asking for a friend ofc

No title.