Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Prep Course

Brazil020511Brazil020511 Alum Member
in General 429 karma

So, this may be the worse place to ask this, but the TLS page on this has many outdated links and information. My question is has anyone done an in class prep course? If so, how did you like it? Did you mix in 7sage info with your course If so, was that helpful? Also, any general pros and cons about in class prep specifically with powerscore or any company. Thank you!

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

Spend the money on a tutor.

• Brazil020511Brazil020511 Alum Member
    429 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    Spend the money on a tutor.

Thank you for your comment. Do you mind elaborating on why you say that over a course? Any particular experience on why not a course?

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

7Sage has great content and an outstanding organizational system. The courses are really expensive, but some of them have started offering helpful payment plans that are easy to enroll in. However, they're going to cram a large amount of material into each class. Which ones are you thinking about?

429 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    7Sage has great content and an outstanding organizational system. The courses are really expensive, but some of them have started offering helpful payment plans that are easy to enroll in. However, they're going to cram a large amount of material into each class. Which ones are you thinking about?

Thank you! Actually, I was considering power score since they had a payment plan that I could do.

edited December 2017 3072 karma

@Brazil020511 said:

@lsatplaylist said:

Thank you! Actually, I was considering power score since they had a payment plan that I could do.

I did the Powerscore course and the best part about it was that it connected me with my tutor. I say spend your money on a tutor instead because they should have the knowledge you need condensed into an efficient package. You can learn Powerscore methods better on your own than in a course.

• foxtrot96foxtrot96 Member
    147 karma

honestly i cannot speak for everybody because everybody has a different learning style but i did the testmasters course and what i actually realised from that was that unless you're some sort of a genius who can finish the entire syllabus in 2 months, you'd be better off taking a course where you study at your own pace. the in class prep classes maybe good no doubt but honestly its too much to learn in a period of 2 months because its not something that you could study for 18 hours a day and be done with it in 2 months. this test is something you'll learn with time and discipline. it all comes down to this. it took me just 2-3 months of lg drilling learning from scratch to come to a point where i dont get more than a question wrong and as you know thats just one section and that too the easiest one. everything can be done no doubt but you need to give it time to sink in so i would advise you to either join a self study online course which i think would be great or you could probably self study. 7Sage is great honestly if you are considering. i'm learning much more than i did in the inprep class. so my advise would be to be sure before paying 1500$ and You'd be better off without it if you have a very hectic workload from other things in life.

429 karma

Thank you all for your help. :)

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

Studying for the LSAT is a really personal thing. Everyone will have their own pace and their own natural ability. An in class course has to teach to the center and is almost certainly not going to just happen to align with your personal needs. It will go either too slowly for you or too quickly, and even then it will only go as in depth as the class time allows for. The beautiful thing about 7Sage is it is designed to be optimized for each and every student. As far as the depth of the material, it is completely unrestricted and way more comprehensive than any other course I've had experience with. Being able to move at a pace that is appropriate to your studies is maybe even more important. Those classes are notoriously and unrealistically accelerated on their timelines. I'd recommend starting with the curriculum and then applying the rest of the money you would have spent on a class to a private tutor. That way, everything is specifically tailored to your needs from start to finish. That seems hard to beat.

3072 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    Studying for the LSAT is a really personal thing. Everyone will have their own pace and their own natural ability. An in class course has to teach to the center and is almost certainly not going to just happen to align with your personal needs. It will go either too slowly for you or too quickly, and even then it will only go as in depth as the class time allows for. The beautiful thing about 7Sage is it is designed to be optimized for each and every student. As far as the depth of the material, it is completely unrestricted and way more comprehensive than any other course I've had experience with. Being able to move at a pace that is appropriate to your studies is maybe even more important. Those classes are notoriously and unrealistically accelerated on their timelines. I'd recommend starting with the curriculum and then applying the rest of the money you would have spent on a class to a private tutor. That way, everything is specifically tailored to your needs from start to finish. That seems hard to beat.

If I had to do it over, I'd probably buy 7sage first and then go from there.

7sage -> tutor sounds like good advice.

edited December 2017 5254 karma

I agree with @"Cant Get Right". Prep courses are totally predetermined class sessions. Students ask questions, but they don't usually spend enough time on things. They rush through things, and that's not helpful. They're also envisioning a 3 month study timeline, and that isn't going to work for everyone. Another issue is they don't really have an active social community and that's not good. Peer support is a really important thing, in part because it makes it easy to ask questions and be heard. On the other hand, 7Sage has a flexible and supportive pace and great community.

429 karma

Thank you all for your help. I have been using 7sage and have found it very helpful and informative. However, I do feel like an in class prep course would do me well with cementing the fundamentals and then allow me afterwards to use 7sage and others materials to reinforce what I learned through drilling, pting,BRing, and other applications. I really want to combine 7sage with power score in combo. 7sage has been great but I still think a structured in class course would compliment my progression. However, thanks to your insight I will also look into some tutors in my area to see if this will be a helpful alternative. Any place/company in particular to look for a quality tutor?

5254 karma

There's a tutor directory on here and they have affordable rates.

5254 karma

And another student had some luck on Wyzant. I think it's called that.